Minecraft Update Will Add Terrifying New Boss

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Minecraft Update Will Add Terrifying New Boss

An upcoming Minecraft snapshot has revealed a host of new features.

A new pre-release build of Minecraft is available for download, and with it comes a number of updates and fresh new blocks. While the update's content is very cool on its own, a secret lies hidden in the patch's code: a new hostile creature is nestled in the game's files, and it's a nasty one. The new enemy is currently dubbed the Wither, looks to be Minecraft's second boss monster, and is confirmed to be the subject of my nightmares tonight.

The Wither does not spawn anywhere in the game naturally, but enterprising players have been able to invoke its blocky existence by modifying the updated files. It appears as a floating black skeleton with three heads, and constantly emits smoke particles. Its primary attack launches a projectile skull which explodes on impact. Players hit by the explosion are afflicted with a unique poison, slowly draining their health and replenishing the Wither's hit points. As if that wasn't dangerous enough, each of the Wither's three heads act independently, allowing it to target several foes at once. The Wither has a special "Boss Health" bar (previously unique to the Ender Dragon), and can soak up 300 points of damage before going down (compared to the Dragon's 200 points). Oh, and at half health, it becomes immune to arrows.

Also included in the update are a handful of new blocks, including frames to hang your items on walls and wooden buttons that can be activated from afar by hitting them with arrows. A new invisibility potion renders players and creatures undetectable (though items and armor are unaffected, so you can finally roleplay as The Invisible Man). Maps have also been overhauled to allow for copying and resizing, and leather armor can be dyed to your fashionable heart's content. The full patch notes are available on Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/yp597/12w34a_snapshot_is_accessible_now/].

The team at Mojang is not commenting on the Wither's debut, but it seems you can expect the rest of the new content to be available in a full patch sometime soon. In the meantime, you can grab the pre-release client on Mojang's site [http://www.mojang.com/2012/08/weekly-chunk-paxmineconsnapshot/]. It may be wise to start preparing now - it sounds like this boss is ready to knock your block off.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.mojang.com/2012/08/weekly-chunk-paxmineconsnapshot/]

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
I'm really interested to see how the Wither boss spawns. Something like that must have a unique entrance.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
You forgot the biggest news of them all, corner stairs! Finally roofs will look good!
How are you even supposed to kill it without arrows? That's just mean.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
I can't say I'm for all the boss updates. It gives minecraft a purpose, which I feel kinda defeats the point...

MarlonBlazed

Jun 9, 2011
Somebody's been playing The Binding of Isaac. Actually I have no idea what this was inspired from.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Annd now I'm building a house with diamond wall insulation.

Because the level of nope of that thing is far far too high.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Some other things the new patch will bring that weren't mentioned here:

- The Wither can also 'eat' through Walls and other terrain to get to you

- Villagers can now like or dislike you depending on how you treat them

- Flower Pots that can be used to plant Saplings & Flowers (The former won't grow into a tree if in a pot)

- You'll be able to grow Carrots and Potatoes

- Maps, Clocks & Compasses will be placeable on walls (via the Item Frames)

- Leather Armour & Wolf Collars can be dyed different colours (so you can tell each Wolf apart)

- Stone Walls (work like Fences)

- Stairs will now form Corner Stairs if placed appropriately

- Zombies can turn Villagers into more Zombies

- Zombies & Skeletons may now occasionally have Weapons & Armour (sometimes enchanted)

- NPCs can now go through Nether Portals

- You can build 'Beacons' that apply buffs to you if you're near them.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I wonder if the Wither and Ender dragons would be hostile towards eachother...

Edit:

Aeshi said:
The Ender dragon actually does this as well from my own experience with spawning them out in the world.

It's interesting to watch them cut through water.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Dr. Crawver said:
I can't say I'm for all the boss updates. It gives minecraft a purpose, which I feel kinda defeats the point...
I do agree with you in the sense of 'why add bosses?'. But on the other hand...there is no purpose to defeat the boss other than to defeat it. You don't 'finish' the game, and still doesn't give the game a purpose overall. There is just something in the game that you can do if you want.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
With the new invisibility pot, the new boos seems like it's going to be a piece of piss.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Aeshi said:
Some other things the new patch will bring that weren't mentioned here:

- Villagers can now like or dislike you depending on how you treat them

- Flower Pots that can be used to plant Saplings & Flowers (The former won't grow into a tree if in a pot)

- You'll be able to grow Carrots and Potatoes

- Maps, Clocks & Compasses will be placeable on walls (via the Item Frames)

- Leather Armour & Wolf Collars can be dyed different colours (so you can tell each Wolf apart)

- Stone Walls (work like Fences)

- Stairs will now form Corner Stairs if placed appropriately

- Zombies can turn Villagers into more Zombies

- Zombies & Skeletons may now occasionally have Weapons & Armour (sometimes enchanted)

- NPCs can now go through Nether Portals

- You can build 'Beacons' that apply buffs to you if you're near them.
I take it you didn't watch the full video then.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Vie said:
Annd now I'm building a house with diamond wall insulation.

Because the level of nope of that thing is far far too high.
but you forget one thing: diamond blocks are weak as hell. go obsidian.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Draconalis said:
I wonder if the Wither and Ender dragons would be hostile towards eachother...
&
The Ender dragon actually does this as well from my own experience with spawning them out in the world.

It's interesting to watch them cut through water.
There's an important difference however. The Ender Dragon passively destroys blocks[footnote]With the exception of Obsidian (which they phase through) and Enderstone (Which they can't destroy or move through)[/footnote] simply by coming in contact with them, whereas the Wither has to actually stop and actively 'eat' a hole in the wall, during which you can attack without retaliation.

But yeah, it's funny to spawn an Ender Dragon in the regular world. For bonus lulz try digging down underground and watch him instantly carve a network of tunnels.

Also to answer your question, I'm pretty sure the Wither is only hostile to Animals (Wolves, Sheep), Villagers, Constructs (Iron Golems, Snow Golems) and the Player.

DVS BSTrD said:
Still no word on the verdict in Apple's patent suit against Samsung?
What the heck does that have to do with anything here?

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
GeorgW said:
You forgot the biggest news of them all, corner stairs! Finally roofs will look good!
How are you even supposed to kill it without arrows? That's just mean.
Splash Healing pots will kill the undead one.