Free-to-Play Shooter Bogarts Map From Counter-Strike

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Free-to-Play Shooter Bogarts Map From Counter-Strike

You can never escape de_dust2, even if you're not playing Counter-Strike.

Webzen's free-to-play multiplayer FPS, Arctic Combat, looks familiar. In fact, it looks almost exactly like a certain series of modern warfare-themed shooters from Activision. Call of Duty isn't the only series it seems to have borrowed from, however - one of its maps appears to be a corridor-for-corridor copy of Counter-Strike's de_dust2.

Aside from tweaked dimensions and a few shifted crates, the arena is an almost direct copy of the notorious Counter-Strike map, right down to the slight ajar wooden doors (don't run in front of those) and the dusty, Middle Eastern motif.

Webzen is based in south Korea and is known for its free-to-play shooters and MMOs, including Mu Online, Archlord and the upcoming Huxley. Arctic Combat is currently in an open beta, you can download it here. [http://ac.webzen.com/]

Dust and its sequel , Dust 2, were both created by mapper, David Johnston, who was only 16 when he made his first official Counter-Strike map. Inspired by an ancient Team Fortress 2 screenshot [http://www.johnsto.co.uk/i/articles/design/making_dust/tf2_01.jpg], Dust went on to become Counter-Strike's most popular map. For a time, it held the record as the most-played FPS map in the world, both in terms of concurrent players and time spent on the map. Not bad for an amateur map maker who freely admits he had no idea what he was doing. [http://www.johnsto.co.uk/design/making_dust]

Though originally released as a community map, Dust now belongs to Valve. The company has included the map in all of Counter-Strike's retail releases, including the recent Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Valve is either very tolerant, or very discreet when it comes to dealing with companies shamelessly nicking their content, [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGmqIkhjEPE] so unfortunately we probably won't be seeing a "Meet the Lawyer" video any time soon.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/24/arctic-combat-counter-strike/]

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Fucking Dust. I go onto play and everyone on the server is going "Dust plz," or "OMG OFFICE SUX"!

This is relevant.

Vinculi

Jan 15, 2009
What exactly are they expecting to come of this? Its not like they picked something obscure.

Hang on, whey the hell is a game callled ARCTIC COMBAT stealing Dust2, of all things? That isn't arctic at all.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Who cares, there are shitload of Dust rip-offs. At least this guys call it a "deja vu"

On the video's description:
"Webzen's free-to-play shooter Arctic Combat includes a map which gives us deja vu."

Here is another game with it

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I can see Valve not caring about it much. I doubt they have much of a market in China and alot Chinese developers who venture outside of the Chinese market are quickly shut down either by disinterest or copyright infrigement claims because they can be challenged outside of a Chinese court.

Valve cant do anything about it, so why should they care about it?

Vinculi said:
Hang on, whey the hell is a game callled ARCTIC COMBAT stealing Dust2, of all things? That isn't arctic at all.
Thats probably a translation error. I did some digging and found a video for the same game lebelled as "Final Combat", which seems more plausible to me.

Blaze016

Mar 21, 2010
kajinking said:
I've never played on Dust before. What makes it special enough to rip off?
Dust2 is THE CS map. It's what all the pros play in when playing CS and its very well balanced. (or at least I remember it being balanced).

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I suppose they thought they could counter Strike against valve then and steal a map

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Sounds like the voices were ripped straight from MW2 or 3. So stolen map and audio assets, not too cool.

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
Apology in advance for being dorky and pendantic, but you're not using the slang "bogart" correctly. Something has to already belong to you/be in your possesion to bogart it. e.g. "Hey man, it's my turn to get the whirly cap! Don't bogart that shit."

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
1. It's not balanced for CoD-style gunplay. The tactics that CoD is built upon, that this style of gunplay requires, simply do not work well in this map; it needs the precise, tap-don't-spray, fast-paced gameplay of the CS series to work at all.

2. Even at home in CS, de_dust2 isn't that good a map. It's got massive awp/scout overpowering issues (those damn doors). I'm not really sure why so many CS players seem to prefer it, when Italy, Office, Nuke, and Train are all easily better maps that don't spawn players within headshot distance of the other team's spawn.

3. P.S. Thanks

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Dust and Dust2 can be found in tons of games. Either fanmade or official. Heck, Brick Force has also a clone of Dust2 in it.

I don't see, how it is a big deal at all with this game when others did the same already countless times.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
And of course, the company is Korean... i don't get it, why do Koreans have to copy other people's work so often? Some creativity, eh? I mean, your music is amazing, you make awesome music videos, so you can be very creative, but when it comes to computers and electronics, you just try to make other people's products. Come on Korea, stop copying our games and iDevices - make something new, possibly even better!

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Team Fortress 2 screenshot [http://www.johnsto.co.uk/i/articles/design/making_dust/tf2_01.jpg],
I think you may mean the Original Team Fortress- or is it the pre-release Team Fortress 2? It just doesn't look like TF2.