Clockwork Empires Brings Steampunk Elder Gods to Your Colony

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Clockwork Empires Brings Steampunk Elder Gods to Your Colony

Gaslamp Games wants to make a user-friendly Dwarf Fortress, but with a Lovecraft twist.

It's sad times in the Empire. The Queen is locked up - for her own good or her Prime Minister's is impossible to say - and the Church of the Holy Cog prophesies ruin as it prays for the salvation of the Empire. However there are options; the Colonies offer riches and fame, for those bold enough to emigrate. That is the premise of Clockwork Empires, the latest Windows, OS X and Linux title from Gaslamp Games; or, as Gaslamp sometimes thinks of it, "Dwarf Fortress For Everybody." Plus added Deep Ones, naturally; someone's got to eat those colonists, and this game has a Lovecraft-inspired dark heart.

"Two of the reasons why Dwarf Fortress isn't for everyone right now," said Daniel Jacobsen, Gaslamp CEO, "are the graphics and the user interface. So we're doing things that will allow us to try to get a lot of the functionality through while making it easy enough for people to pick it up." Dwarf Fortress, a roguelike city-builder, put the player in charge of a bunch of somewhat suicidal Dwarves as they attempted to carve out a home for themselves in inhospitable terrain. Clockwork Empires has essentially the same premise, but this time your hapless Soldiers and Poets can fiddle with Tesla science, explore forgotten temples, or encounter fish men and other blasphemous horrors in an environment as far from ACSII art as New York is from Yuggoth. Play it safe, and the colony will reap dividends; explore incautiously, and Elder Gods might take an unhealthy interest in your settlement.

Not that your colonists are safety-conscious. "If you've got a whole bunch of people researching in a building and you just sort of leave them to it and you don't keep tabs on them, there's a high probability that they can start doing evil things and summoning demons or something," says Jacobsen. Failure is an option, but with failure comes medals, promotion and other good things, so the player shouldn't see the destruction of the colony - and the death of all the colonists - as a complete loss.

No release date has been announced yet.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/clockwork-empires-a-preview-of-gaslamp-games-lovecraft-laden-steampunk-city-builder/]

Aug 25, 2009
So far me likey. Steampunk has been one of my favourite settings for a long time now and I would love to see a game which embraces it properly instead of just paying lip service to the aesthetic.

Never played Dwarf Fortress but since it was mainly for the reasons mentioned I'm actually warily intrigued in this. I may well buy this.

Also: First! I haven't had a first in a looooooong time.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Given that the creator of Dwarf Fortress reckons that in its current state that Dwarf Fortress is just over one third done (current version is 0.34.11), this thing is going to be a gargantuan task.

Also the Dwarf Fortress interface update, coming eventually. Probably not in your lifetime but its coming.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
Sounds interesting. I liked Gaslamp Games' previous title, the humour of it, and think that this will probably be good. There's a couple of other Dwarf Fortress clones (Gnomoria) and other games that are very similar (A Game of Dwarves, from what I could see) but nothing will ever truely match the pychopathy and sheer hilarious evilness of the Dwarf Fortress fanbase.

It won't be a deep as Dwarf Fortress, because that's estimated to be completed in 2020 (or so I remember). When people can hve orbital (well, almost) lava cannons that can hit any part of the surface, then it is as good as dwarf fortress.

Steampunk seems interesting. I'm looking forward to this already.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
If anyone can make Dwarf Fortress accessible to normal human beings, the Dungeons of Dredmor guys can. I want this now.

Karloff said:
Gaslight Games wants to make a user-friendly Dwarf Fortress, but with a Lovecraft twist.
Typo of the dev's name in the bold part? Tisk tisk

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
So a slightly dumbed down Dwarf Fortress with Lovecraftian horrors from before the dawn of time?

I'l be keeping an eye on this one methinks.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
The premise alone gave me a blood nose of rainbows.
Steampunk is definetely my favorite setting.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
This sounds really, really cool - I love all things Steampunk and Lovecraftia, so a combination sounds awesome. I'll be keeping an eye on this fo sho.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I am liking the increase in Steampunk and Cyberpunk recently. Another game to keep an eye on.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Do want this game, so much. It blends two things I love, old school city building games (think Pharaoh and Zeus ) and steampunk with some Lovecraft inspired monsters.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Not sure if want.
I'm actually pretty fine with Dwarf Fortress, and this game just sounds overly complicated.
Also it can't reach DF level. EVER. considering all the lag you can get. : D

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Honestly, if Dwarf Fortress improved its interface, I'd play the game a lot more... so this one's on my radar.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
lol, undersupervised evil

"Okay, which of you guys put a Mi-go in my bed this morning? Johnson, I can see you trying to hide that old book, you sly bastard."

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Rainforce said:
Not sure if want.
I'm actually pretty fine with Dwarf Fortress, and this game just sounds overly complicated.
Have these two cats.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Man, I almost wish this was a kickstarter so I could give them money right now based on the concept alone.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
vallorn said:
Rainforce said:
Not sure if want.
Have these two cats.
The (pets-only) access passages to certain meeting areas have 2 pressure plates on both ends, and a drawbridge inbetween,
like tradition asks of us.

the WATER on the other hand is way less managable,
But who am I to blame when I try to pump rivers in reverse and empty entire lakes on my land just to get a flushing system to deal with invaders and powering my doomsday device and... D: