$40 Angry Birds Console Release Also Getting DLC

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
$40 Angry Birds Console Release Also Getting DLC

Angry Birds Trilogy and all of its DLC will cost you a wing and a talon.

Off the top of your head, how much do you think someone should pay to get <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118372-Activisions-Angry-Birds-Trilogy-Heads-to-Consoles>Angry Birds for XBox 360 or PlayStation 3? Considering that the core game costs $1 on iOS, is free on Android, and comes with all the DLC on tablets for about $10, the console port should be reasonably priced, correct? Well, hang on to your eggs ladies and gentlemen, because Angry Birds Trilogy will not only cost $40 for home consoles, but Activision will be throwing in DLC packs on top of that.

At this time it's not entirely clear whether the Angry Birds Trilogy DLC would be paid or not, but given the amount of effort that's been put into upgrading the port, it's very possible that Activision would charge for it. Angry Birds Trilogy will include the original game, Angry Birds: Seasons, and Angry Birds: Rio with 1080p graphics along with new artwork and cinematics, 3D effects, and Move/Kinect support. If you really need Angry Birds as a high-definition experience, that could be considered worthwhile, but it should be noted that out of the game's 700+ levels, only 19 will be new and unique to the trilogy release while approximately 185 levels from the mobile booster packs will not be included.

Currently Activision has 2 DLC packs planned, although it has yet to confirm what their nature will be. Angry Birds Trilogy will also get a handheld release on the Nintendo 3DS for $30, with all versions launching on September 25th. We'll find out then whether Activision's efforts to bring the popular mobile game to consoles can be considered a success.

Source: <a href=http://kotaku.com/5937637/heres-how-activision-justifies-charging-more-for-angry-birds-on-console>Kotaku, via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-28-angry-birds-trilogy-will-be-getting-dlc>Eurogamer

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Errr...is this serious? Like, really? I can't even...hopefully the console-goers will have the sense to not drop $40 on this, but hey, if you enjoy your Angry Birds...I guess it's worth it?

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Activision being Activision...

Seriously why would you pay $40 for a game that you can get for free or $1 on pretty much any phone or tablet? I'm pretty sure the touch screen versions will be better than the console simply because using move/kinect or an analog stick to play angry birds just seems really stupid to me. Angry birds isn't even that great of a game imo. It's fun for a little while but gets really boring really fast to me.

Also, has Activision always owned the rights to Angry Birds/ Rovio? That was news to me...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So, 'Kotick is still out to rape peoples wallets' is the sumtotal of this news post.

lotr rocks 0 said:
Also, has Activision always owned the rights to Angry Birds/ Rovio? That was news to me...
It wasnt all that long ago actually. Rovio had pretty much moved onto Awesomenauts so they sold the rights to the console ports to Activision. The rest you can guess.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
lotr rocks 0 said:
Activision being Activision...

Seriously why would you pay $40 for a game that you can get for free or $1 on pretty much any phone or tablet? I'm pretty sure the touch screen versions will be better than the console simply because using move/kinect or an analog stick to play angry birds just seems really stupid to me. Angry birds isn't even that great of a game imo. It's fun for a little while but gets really boring really fast to me.

While Kinect seems like it could be fitting I have to agree that playing with control stick sounds inferior to touch screen. The price alone is enough for me to not even consider this game, the fact that they already have DLC for it puts it even lower. Angry Birds is hardly brilliant even as far as phone games go, getting it on a bigger screen doesn't seem that appealing since it's pretty much the kind of game you play when you're somewhere else than your console.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Oh you Escapist, always pulling my leg. You should save these jokes for April Fools Day. So come on how much does Angry Birds really cost on console?

HAHA still sticking with the $40 story, I admire your commitment to the joke but come on now, how much really?

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I don't imagine many people would spend time at home, on the couch sitting in front of the TV, to play Angry Birds. Games like that are cute little timewasters for when you are stuck in a public queue or in the bus or something, not something worth firing up your plasma TV and surround system over. Combine that with the 40$ price tag, which one could use to buy 2 or 3 6 month old AAA titles who happen to be on their backlog, and you've got one hell of a shitty deal.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I was actually interested in this, until I read this article.

Not every all the levels, and DLC to boot?

Yeah...blow me.

I'll get it when it's used for 10USD...maybe.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
That's got to be the dumbest thing I've ever read (says someone who half-assedly proofreads his own fan-fiction). I can see how it might work on the 3/DS and MAYBE on the Move but out of all the games out there which could qualify for a boxed release...well this one isn't even on that list. In what bizzaro universe is this wherein I will soon have the option of buying a boxed Angry Birds but no option to buy a boxed Tokyo Jungle?!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I can already play Angry Birds in HD for free... why would I, or anyone for that matter, would pay a king's ranson to play it on consoles?.

We all like to hate EA, but don't forget about Activision just yet.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
sad face, I wanted to play the game, but I'm not paying 4 times the price of what it would cost on a tablet. Maybe if that Ouya thing works out a 10$ version will be on that.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
This is just silly, how do they expect me to play the console version while I'm taking a crap?

No thanks, I'll stick to the free version that keeps me so entertained while I'm dropping a deuce.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I feel sorry for the kids with birthdays after this launches- Probably exactly the sort of game Gramma Oldlady is going to buy for her grandkids and their Nintendos.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Activision: reminding gamers that EA isn't the only company that likes to screw over their customers in the gaming industry.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Sad reality

This will probably work out very well for Activision. The name Angry Birds is very well known now even for people who don't play games themselves, they would instantly know the brand if they saw a boxed copy of the game. Combine that knowledge with the fact that around late september people will start preparing and planning for the holiday season which can include early gift shopping.

A person who is not very familiar with gaming will see this:
[sub]*shoppers thoughts in brackets*[/sub]

-A newly released game from a popular brand (something everyone would enjoy)

-it's $20 cheaper than the other new releases (This is a positive thing and a key selling point for people gift shopping)

-It says it's a trilogy (Three games for the price of one, added value!)
I foresee many a gamer getting this for christmas from family members who just don't know better.

In short, this will easily generate a profit on a wave of ignorance made even safer for Activision because there is no way the game will have any trade in value at all.