Stolen Resident Evil 6 Games Sold Early in Poland

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Stolen Resident Evil 6 Games Sold Early in Poland

The German PS3 version of the game breaks the street date by almost a month.

Resident Evil 6 has an official release date marked for October 2nd, which has raised some questions as to how certain consumers in Poland were able to snag copies of the survival horror title as early as last week. It turns out that the unofficial retail release was sourced from stolen goods, according to a statement by Capcom.

"Capcom is currently undertaking a thorough investigation into reports that Resident Evil 6 is being sold ahead of its official October 2 release date," reads the statement. "At this time, all we can add is that it would appear this unfortunate incident is limited to a small quantity of stolen copies of the German USK PlayStation 3 version of the game."

The stolen copies of the game were sold at a couple of retail stores in the Polish city of Poznan. So far, there's no solid figure to the "small quantity" referred to by Capcom.

Naturally, an enterprising individual has opted to try their luck reselling their early copy of the game on eBay [http://www.ebay.es/itm/RESIDENT-EVIL-6-IN-HAND-READY-TO-SHIP-PS3-PLAYSTATION-3-/261092019646?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_212&hash=item3cca4c0dbe%20%28VIA%20@re_center%29#ht_500wt_1414], with bids of up to $600 already called at the time of writing. I don't mind the odd game of Resident Evil every now and then, but $600 is a bit rich for a month's head start.

Sources: Eurogamer [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/early-resident-evil-6-sales-in-poland-sourced-from-stolen-stock/0102231]

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
wow. 600$. not bad. well, i have seen other games being sold for a very high price. even very old games.

still wondering if the pc version requires LIVE to play it or not.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
It makes me wonder why any reputable store would deal with these copies. And why Capcom doesn't just tell them that for doing so, they've lost their order for the game.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Why would anyone pay 600 dollars for a game? That's just stupid, even if it is a month early are the bragging rights worth the extra 540-ish dollars?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
What I want to know is this... how many things are on that disc, but beyond the buying public's access until Capcom make it available as a paid for 'expansion'?

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
What I want to know is this... how many things are on that disc, but beyond the buying public's access until Capcom make it available as a paid for 'expansion'?
I hope to god that Capcom has realized that it's starting to bite them in the ass. Street Fighter X Tekken has hopefully shown that they need to stop that shit. Not even EA would do the same shit five times in a row like this.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
FoolKiller said:
It makes me wonder why any reputable store would deal with these copies. And why Capcom doesn't just tell them that for doing so, they've lost their order for the game.
At a guess? Because this really sounds like the behavior of reputable stores.

And as for the second point? Because it's very unlikely Capcom has that kind of access. Assuming the store was actually buying from them and not from whomever they're using as their distributor in Eastern Europe, Capcom saying "screw you" could actually get them in some serious legal trouble in Poland. Because while selling stolen merchandise is bad, refusing to honor a purchase order because they hurt your feelings isn't any more legitimate.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
wow $600.

You know what, if i ever head a game company, I think I might just organise a few copies of my own game getting 'stolen' and stick up onto ebay just so that we can get ourselves some of those + %1000 profits.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Starke said:
FoolKiller said:

And as for the second point? Because it's very unlikely Capcom has that kind of access. Assuming the store was actually buying from them and not from whomever they're using as their distributor in Eastern Europe, Capcom saying "screw you" could actually get them in some serious legal trouble in Poland. Because while selling stolen merchandise is bad, refusing to honor a purchase order because they hurt your feelings isn't any more legitimate.
Umm... Your first point didn't make sense.

I would argue that Capcom (and any other publisher) has it in all their contracts that violating the street date voids the contract. I don't know Polish law, but I know a small reputable shop in Canada that lost a lot of their EA perks because of this.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
there is a joke about zombies and everyone wanting to play this game somewhere here

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
FoolKiller said:
Starke said:
FoolKiller said:

Umm... Your first point didn't make sense.

I would argue that Capcom (and any other publisher) has it in all their contracts that violating the street date voids the contract. I don't know Polish law, but I know a small reputable shop in Canada that lost a lot of their EA perks because of this.
That was sarcasm. I know it's a strange and unfamiliar concept, but there it is. Also, you knew "a small reputable shop" that dealt in stolen goods? That word you're using, "reputable"? I do not think it means what you think it does.

I'm not familiar with Polish law, but you're talking about a shop losing perks for breaking street dates, and that's one thing, I'd be very surprised if Polish Law or even Canadian Law allowed them to simply cancel future shipments to that store after receiving payment for them. Particularly given that those transactions are happening through third party distributors. And, as the story sounds, if this was the actions of a few individuals in a larger retail chain, that kind of behavior could get Capcom in seriously deep legal shit.