Shadowrun Returns Gets Some Style

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Shadowrun Returns Gets Some Style

The first batch of Shadowrun Returns in-game art assets looks mighty sweet indeed.

The Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter hit it big this spring, drawing more than $1.8 million from fans of the franchise eager to see it brought to PCs and tablets in a way that doesn't suck [http://www.amazon.com/Shadowrun-Xbox-360/dp/B000OLSJLC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1346777057&sr=8-4&keywords=Shadowrun]. Now, with a few months under their belts to figure out what they're going to do with all that money, the team at Harebrained Schemes has put out a handful of character models and environment concepts to give players an idea of what they've got cooking.

The original plan was to give the game a relatively simply top-down perspective, but that went out the window after the second money truck rolled up. "One of the game's largest growth factors was the change from a top-down to an isometric point of view, which is much more dynamic but also much more expensive to create," the team explained in a new blog post. "We explored several different methods to bring the rich details of the Shadowrun world to life in an isometric POV and settled on a hybrid approach that merges 2D environments and 3D characters. The 2D background allows us to deliver a level of detail, depth, and expressiveness that we think will capture the tone we're working toward, while the characters' 3D structure allows for fluid movement, and a wide range of character design and equipment options."

[gallery=889]

The character models clock in at about 2000 polys, and happily look quite close to their original concepts. Players will be able to create either male or female characters from any of the "meta-human" races, with "an enormous variety of character customization" options available through selectable skin colors, unique gear and clothing. The environmental screens were put together in Photoshop using in-game assets, but the team said that "overall, this is the look that we are shooting for."

Some comments have been critical of the "cartoonish" look of the character art, but I don't think that's entirely out of line for a game that drops Tolkien-esque fantasy characters into a cyberpunk world. Much will depend on how it looks in action, and the team acknowledged that character movement may not be quite as "dynamic" as it appears in the concepts. But so far, I think, so good.

Source: Harebrained Schemes [http://harebrained-schemes.com/post/post-pax-post-our-first-in-game-assets-revealed/]

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I'm now much more interested in this now that I have something to grab onto instead of just some concept art and promises. They got the IP licence, right?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Very interesting design. I'll be honest, this and Wasteland 2 look a lot better than I thought they would. Thumbs up here!

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Can't wait for this. Shadowrun was a favourite growing up. One of the few fantasy setting that didn't kneel before Tolken's world like General Zod.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Count me in as one of those who is a little put off by the cartoonish character design. I'm just not sure they exhibit the grit and menace that the franchise always used to be known for. that said, they do look very good if a little out of place to me, and the game itself is sounding very good.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
The cartoonish look doesn't jive so well with the original source material but it's not like video games have come anywhere close to doing justice to the IP previously. Honestly, if they make the gameplay fun and the story enticing, then I don't care. So far, the game that has come closest to Shadowrun in my book is Deus Ex.

Apr 5, 2008
Oh my. Is it too late to give them my money? o.o This is a great idea. If it's half as good as the SNES/Megadrive classic, we're in for a treat.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I dig the art style they are using...it has me really excited to play the game now...

Glad I gave them my money during their Kickstarter...

Excitement + 100

The Random One

May 29, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
Count me in as one of those who is a little put off by the cartoonish character design. I'm just not sure they exhibit the grit and menace that the franchise always used to be known for. that said, they do look very good if a little out of place to me, and the game itself is sounding very good.
I dunno. Shadowrun to me always seemed to have the minimum amount of grit and menace to qualify as cyberpunk. It's a rottweiler with its teeth filed off.

Not that I'm not looking forward to it though.

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
The Random One said:
StriderShinryu said:
I dunno. Shadowrun to me always seemed to have the minimum amount of grit and menace to qualify as cyberpunk. It's a rottweiler with its teeth filed off.

Not that I'm not looking forward to it though.
It can come in two varieties, Pink Mohawk and Black Trenchcoat. I've always been a fan of the Pink Mohawk approach; robbing top corp buildings dressed as hotdogs. But some people really like to hone in on the dystopian nature of it.

Think about it, you've got the Tamanous picking up people off the street and pulling their squishy bits out. You've got aztechology carving into people making blood spirits. You've got huge social dissonance and on top of that wars all across the world between the aforementioned cops

I'd argue that 2070 is post cyberpunk but 2050 is certainly cyberpunk

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Dayum. If the environments look as good as the concept art does, this game is gonna be bloody beautiful.