Of PAXes and Parties

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Of PAXes and Parties

Recounting my experience at PAX and the Return to Ravnica party.

Read Full Article

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Encaen said:
Of PAXes and Parties

Recounting my experience at PAX and the Return to Ravnica party.

Read Full Article
The party was very fun. Especially all the swag and guild drink recipes :p

Favourite card is either Lotleth Troll (LOL-Troll, brother of Party Troll as he shall be forever known) or the charms. Or perhaps the 1 mana hybrids or Niv or Vraska or giant wurm or electromancer or Guttersnipe or any Rakdos card for the awful puns.
Oh, Blightning ball is also fun if underwhelming.

It's been a long time since I've been this hyped for a set too be released. I've got 5 pre-releases booked and paid for with my name down each of the guilds though I can see getting annoyed at having to explain why the shock you used to kill my Dryad militant is exiled but the murder isn't over that weekend lol.

I have about 10 different deck ideas bouncing around in my head and most of them seem pretty decent right now and I can't wait to be playing an entirely different deck every FNM until GTC comes out.

if_then_else

Apr 28, 2005
Today they spoiled the new Planeswalker, Vraska [http://cdn.magicspoiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Vraska-the-Unseen-Return-to-Ravnica-Planeswalker-Spoiler.jpg], and all I can say is that I'm in love. I was planing on trying to go back to a BG deck, and so far Golgari seems to be a great choice.

Loving RTR so far, I missed a lot this kind of multicolored expansions, Innistrad was cool but I long for the times of lots of multicolored cards.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
The party was very fun. Especially all the swag and guild drink recipes :p

Favourite card is either Lotleth Troll (LOL-Troll, brother of Party Troll as he shall be forever known) or the charms. Or perhaps the 1 mana hybrids or Niv or Vraska or giant wurm or electromancer or Guttersnipe or any Rakdos card for the awful puns.
Oh, Blightning ball is also fun if underwhelming.

It's been a long time since I've been this hyped for a set too be released. I've got 5 pre-releases booked and paid for with my name down each of the guilds though I can see getting annoyed at having to explain why the shock you used to kill my Dryad militant is exiled but the murder isn't over that weekend lol.

I have about 10 different deck ideas bouncing around in my head and most of them seem pretty decent right now and I can't wait to be playing an entirely different deck every FNM until GTC comes out.
Yeah, I definitely had one too many of the Izzet shooter things in the test tubes. They were so much fun, though! I'm right with you, too, I'm pretty sure this is the most excited I've ever been for a set release.

if_then_else said:
Today they spoiled the new Planeswalker, Vraska [http://cdn.magicspoiler.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Vraska-the-Unseen-Return-to-Ravnica-Planeswalker-Spoiler.jpg], and all I can say is that I'm in love. I was planing on trying to go back to a BG deck, and so far Golgari seems to be a great choice.

Loving RTR so far, I missed a lot this kind of multicolored expansions, Innistrad was cool but I long for the times of lots of multicolored cards.
I hadn't actually checked the spoilers yet today, Vraska is awesome! So. Excited.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Jace has been getting weaker and weaker since mindscuplt. His -2 is alright, but ultimately, I'm not impressed.

That being said, the new gorgan planeswalker... her... I want...

She has SO much flavor.

She's sexy in that "This isn't really op... but man does she look fun." kind of way.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Of the spoilers so far, I'm looking forward to the Azorius and Izzet mechanics, detain and overload. Detain seems like it could be fun - and by fun I mean annoying - if there are a lot of creatures that detain when they enter the battlefield. I spy a new [mtg_card=Cloudshift]/[mtg_card=Ghostly Flicker] target...

On the other hand, overload is looking insanely cool, especially since you can't do anything bad to yourself or your own permanents with it (as explained in an article going into detail on it). If you want to cast a lot of overloaded spells, though, I figure you're gonna need some form of mana-ramping to compensate for the high costs. As an aside, Tamiyo would be incredible in an overload-based deck if you can get her emblem in play.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Draconalis said:
Jace has been getting weaker and weaker since mindscuplt. His -2 is alright, but ultimately, I'm not impressed.

That being said, the new gorgan planeswalker... her... I want...

She has SO much flavor.

She's sexy in that "This isn't really op... but man does she look fun." kind of way.
Splash just enough blue for Artful Dodge and there you go. Or just run with Champion of Lambholt and lots of scavenge to make them unblockable. I think Parallel Lives just got very useful. Imagine what happens when you double(or quadruple) the number of tokens you create. The more you have, the less likely they are to be able to block all of them.

Of course, you have to worry about someone running Hypersonic Dragons and lots of Dreadbore.

I thinking Hypersonic Dragon might go into the next generation Delver Decks. Or a U/R/G deck with lots of ramp. Drop Hypersonic Dragon, cast a spell like searing Spear, and then put Worldfire on the stack on top of it.

Oct 30, 2010
I'm a bit surprised by the flavor of Azorius, so far; it seems to be shaping up to have fish or mid-range style attack, which I can only assume means Orzhov will be the slow, punishing control guild.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
Splash just enough blue for Artful Dodge and there you go. Or just run with Champion of Lambholt and lots of scavenge to make them unblockable. I think Parallel Lives just got very useful. Imagine what happens when you double(or quadruple) the number of tokens you create. The more you have, the less likely they are to be able to block all of them.

Of course, you have to worry about someone running Hypersonic Dragons and lots of Dreadbore.

I thinking Hypersonic Dragon might go into the next generation Delver Decks. Or a U/R/G deck with lots of ramp. Drop Hypersonic Dragon, cast a spell like searing Spear, and then put Worldfire on the stack on top of it.
Don't think I haven't already thought about artful dodge :D

Currently, I'm thinking of how I want to make my current green black with these new cards... and already it looks like I might just be scrapping everything but the colors.

And black in that G/B combop has pleny of removal options.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Draconalis said:
vxicepickxv said:

Don't think I haven't already thought about artful dodge :D

Currently, I'm thinking of how I want to make my current green black with these new cards... and already it looks like I might just be scrapping everything but the colors.

And black in that G/B combop has pleny of removal options.
I'm trying to figure out a sacrifice/scavenge to boost up a Champion of Lambholt. Don't think there won't be Corpsejack Menace running around. So many +1/+1 counters.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
First off Rakdos's Return (IT SHOULD BE RAKDOS' NOT RAKDOS'S WIZARDS, WTH) looks underwhelming actually. Blightning was awesome because it was a Lightning Bolt stapled to Mind Rot for the same exact price, at common even. If you cast RR at X=2 you're paying more for a slightly worse effect. At X=3 it may be a good way to lock down you're opponent, but it's also costing you a turn you could have played, say, Thundermaw Hellkite. Whether or not it's useful in standard is going to depend completely on how the meta shapes up after rotation, but I'm doubtful.

The Azorius cards make U/W flicker control look mean. Still, the "until your next turn" clause stops them from completely locking you down if you play smart. You're going to need to drop removal on your turn post-combat, if you try it on theirs it will just lock out one of your creatures for a turn.

Also Lotleth Troll. Good god I'm gonna buy those up as fast as possible because I'm almost certain the price is gonna jump another $10 once people realize how awesome he is. He was basically the inspiration for a G/W/B reanimator control deck for standard I'm thinking up. It's basically an adjusted version of Frites but I think with Vapor Snag out of standard and a better mana base it may have pretty good odds.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gwb-reanimator-1/