Review: Cryostasis

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
Review: Cryostasis

Cryostasis: the "Russian Bioshock." Oakley Haight discusses if it lives up to its nickname.

Read Full Article

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I picked this game up 2 weeks ago and it's really good. It's atmosphere is just so engrossing and your characters suckyness in combat adds to the suspense because he isn't space marine #542, just a normal guy. For 30 bucks, it's damn good and it's great to see a game placed at a reasonable price than most other average games that will eat your wallet.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
I do love Eastern European made games. Always heavy on atmosphere.

Anyway, I'm taking the "no jumpy bits" part of your review in a positive light, I much prefer games that scare you via the atmosphere.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
WrongSprite said:

Anyway, I'm taking the "no jumpy bits" part of your review in a positive light, I much prefer games that scare you via the atmosphere.
The game has a REALLY good atmosphere and some of the actual scares I found came from fighting the enemies. They looks creepy and have odd movements to them. Combined with the "crappines" of the weapons and combat, it's heart pumping suspense. Clubbing an enemy with a fire axe really gives off momentum and the reload time and firing rate of the weapons makes confrontation almost intimidating.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
That`s one hell of an ending i`ll give you that but it was more WTH!!?? than awesome

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
Some parts were a bit dull (like the underwater section), but overall I enjoyed Cryostasis. Mental echoes are amazingly fun, although some enemies leave a bit to be desired (Giant Dual-Wielding Mook, while difficult and quite scary to encounter, feels out of place in such an otherwise well-develoepd atmosphere)

I love how, as you get colder, you are worse at combat. You reload more slowly, punch more weakly, move slowly and your sights move around like crazy.

Insert Comedy Here

May 22, 2009
I enjoyed this game a lot, but the start really confused me, I felt like I as skipping through time on a dyslexic, schizophrenic time machine.
The 'Mental Echoes' were enjoyable, and the fact that your health bar was how warm you were feeling at the time, unless I wasn't paying attention.
My friend enjoyed scaring me while I played this, he kept shaking me while screaming "BWAAAAAAAGH!".
Annoying, yes, but also hilarious.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I've only seen an LP of this, and it looke absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, Horror isn't really my genre, but at $30... I may have to buy it anyway.

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
Clashero said:
Some enemies leave a bit to be desired (Giant Dual-Wielding Mook, while difficult and quite scary to encounter, feels out of place in such an otherwise well-develoepd atmosphere)
I guess the Mook (or whatever) could be Cryostasis' answer to the Big Daddy if we're going to keep with the BioShock comparison. Honestly, I couldn't really figure out why it was there either. If someone knows how it ties into the story, do tell :)

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
mjhhiv said:
Clashero said:
Some enemies leave a bit to be desired (Giant Dual-Wielding Mook, while difficult and quite scary to encounter, feels out of place in such an otherwise well-develoepd atmosphere)
I guess the Mook (or whatever) could be Cryostasis' answer to the Big Daddy if we're going to keep with the BioShock comparison. Honestly, I couldn't really figure out why it was there either. If someone knows how it ties into the story, do tell :)
I suppose he's the... guy who keeps the key to the armory? They must keep their guns somewhere, considering it's the most heavily armed icebreaker in the history of the universe. Why are there so many guns on a ship whose job is to tear through ice with its hull?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The only question the game leaves me with is "How can I be blow-torched and LOSE heat?!"

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
WrongSprite said:

The problem is, the game's jump scares are there, they're just really ineffective.

"Walking- whoa! Axe! - Dead. Oh well, I'll move slower this time..." instead of "Walking - ZOMG AUGH AXE GET AWAY FROM ME AHH SHOOT IT!".

Which makes the game less creepy, as the tension keeps getting relieved.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
mjhhiv said:
Clashero said:
Okay, I know this post is from last year, but it go resurrected so I may as well answer it. The dual weilding mook is supposed to be representative of the prison/brig guards, who exploited their power during the crisis on the ship, and are now doomed to forever retain their post. It's also how the game exlains the wailing sirens when they are around, they are supposed to be like prison towers.