Happy Birthday, Mr. Wayne

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Happy Birthday, Mr. Wayne

MovieBob celebrates the 20th birthday of one of animation's most acclaimed series.

Read Full Article

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The Arkham games a fusion between the Animated series and the Nolan movies? I also see a lot of Burtons Batman in there. Maybe more then of Nolans Batman.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
I've said it before, and i'll say it again; Kevin Conroy was the best Batman. Not to take anything away from the live action actors, they were all good, but Conroy had the toughest job.

Conroy was really the first actor who made Bruce/Batman genuinely relatable. He had to make Batman both thoughtful and intimidating, whilst show a distinct-yet-subtle difference between Bruce and the Bat, using nothing but his voice.

Keep that in mind next time you hear Christian Bale's Cookie Monster impersonation. ;)

Oh, yeah, and Mark Hamill was - of course - awesome. But we already knew that.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
I think the best proof of TAS's impact (which I never really watched, but recognise that it's excellent) is that until this article, I never realised that it created Harley Quinn as a character. I thought she existed prior to that. So that's my new thing learned for today.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
The lackluster Jonah Hex movie also was probably greenlit by TAS, as a Raj backstory taking place in the old west has him as the protagonist.

It also gave us the Harvey-Ivy duo for all kinds of fan fics...

Apr 17, 2009
Kmadden2004 said:
I've said it before, and i'll say it again; Kevin Conroy was the best Batman. Not to take anything away from the live action actors, they were all good, but Conroy had the toughest job.

Conroy was really the first actor who made Bruce/Batman genuinely relatable. He had to make Batman both thoughtful and intimidating, whilst show a distinct-yet-subtle difference between Bruce and the Bat, using nothing but his voice.

Keep that in mind next time you hear Christian Bale's Cookie Monster impersonation. ;)

Wasn't Conroy also the first actor to give Batman and Bruce Wayne different voices? Which seems an obvious thing to do now you think about it

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Batman: The Aiated series was my introduction to Batman too and along with the movies and the Adam West series were how I got into Batman growing up (it wasnt until my teens that I started reading the comics). I only had a few videos as a child and getting to see an episode was a rare thing but now I own all of them on DVD and I still love it just as much as I did when I was a four year old.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I watched the animated series as a little kid, definitely my introduction to the character, haven't seen the show very much at all since I was young, I kinda want to re-watch it now, maybe I will, that'd be a good way to celebrate the birthday.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Kmadden2004 said:

Wasn't Conroy also the first actor to give Batman and Bruce Wayne different voices? Which seems an obvious thing to do now you think about it
Pretty much, but he always did it through a subtle inflection instead of growling like an asthmatic bear with a mouth full of gravel.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Ah, Batman: TAS, definitely my first step in the wonderfully weird world of comics. Great stories, awesome voice acting and best of all it helped lead to Superman and Justice League/Unlimited. Now I really wish Netflix would stream those shows. :(

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Goddamnit Bob!
I didn't want to know that Batman: The Animated Series is 20 years old you bastard.

Way to make me feel old
-.-

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
The DCAU was awesome. Every time I think about it though I get mad at DC for being unable to bring that kind of kid friendly cross-generational appeal to the comics, and how they're instead seemingly content to cater to an ever dwindling audience.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I wonder how many people are even aware that the Arkham games story wise are actually proper sequels to the animated series. They straight up reference specific scenes, conversations and events from the show all the time so I'd go as far as to say they're even part of its specific ongoing canon.

For example I remember listening to the Harley/Joker voice recording collectibles in Asylum and thinking huh these sound awfully familiar and sure enough they are almost straight up exact recreations of the exact conversations in the exact scenes they took place in, in the original episode of Animated. it added this entire extra level of "OMG ROCKSTEADY ARE SO AWESOME" to the games for me.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
LazyAza said:
I wonder how many people are even aware that the Arkham games story wise are actually proper sequels to the animated series. They straight up reference specific scenes, conversations and events from the show all the time so I'd go as far as to say they're even part of its specific ongoing canon.

For example I remember listening to the Harley/Joker voice recording collectibles in Asylum and thinking huh these sound awfully familiar and sure enough they are almost straight up exact recreations of the exact conversations in the exact scenes they took place in, in the original episode of Animated. it added this entire extra level of "OMG ROCKSTEADY ARE SO AWESOME" to the games for me.
Actually, I'd say the Arkham games are more a mix of the comic books and the animated series, story-wise. Eg, one character, Barbara Gordon, was paralysed in the comic books by the Joker, forcing her to retire from being Batgirl and becoming Oracle (as she is in the Arkham games), while in the DCAU (Animated Universe), that never happened. In fact, in that canon, the Joker was killed while she was still Batgirl, and she eventually went on to become Police Commissioner in Batman Beyond.

Direbaka

Jul 10, 2010
I loved this show when I was younger. Would be one of few reasons I had to turn on the tv (or get up early on a weekend). Hearing that it turned 20?... way to make me feel old.

Captcha: "that hurts" - yeah... yeah it does...

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Credit where credit is due. B:TAS remains my favorite version of Batman because of the excellent blend it strikes between gritty grim-dark and kid-friendly action. Picked up the DVD recently and I was glad to see that it was as good as I remember.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Man, Justice League Unlimited remains my favorite superhero ANYTHING to this day. Clever, funny, intense, action packed and shipping Batman/Wonder-Woman instead of this Superman/Wonder-Woman crap. I'm pretty sad that whoever handles animated series's at Warner Brothers basically cancels any DC Animated Thing as soon as it starts to get good... (For example Batman: The Brave and The Bold).

On the plus side while the Bruce Timm DC Stuff is "dead", Marvels current "The Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes" is damn close to being its successor.

MispeledStalion

Jul 24, 2011
I hadn't watched that since I was a kid, but I recently started watching it again in my spare time out of curiosity... My word is that an awesome show. Great art style, solid, but still delightfully corny dialogue, and a great assortment of characters. Amazing show.