GameStop Chief Sheds More Light on Vintage Videogame Sales

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GameStop Chief Sheds More Light on Vintage Videogame Sales

GameStop CEO Paul Raines says the company is "thinking about everything" as it ponders the possibility of selling classic videogames and hardware.

Everybody got good and mad last week when vintage sales opportunities [http://www.gamestop.com]" that are currently the domain of eBay, tiny specialty sites and the occasional yard sale. Raines said the idea hadn't yet coalesced into anything useful, but he sounded insistent about carving off a slice of that pie. "We've got to be in that business," he said. "We will be."

In spite of the most fervent wishes of GameStop haters, it doesn't appear that he was just talking to hear himself speak. In a follow-up interview with Joystiq, Raines said that plans are tentative at this stage, but wheels are turning. "We're thinking about everything. Nothing we'd really want to call out yet," he said. "Our dotcom team is right now grinding through a lot of opportunities to see what's out there and see what we can get our hands on and what we can merchandise."

"Part of what we have to do is we have to go source a lot of this product, get customers to trade some of their old product with us, and go find some old consoles, but we also own a lot of old product," he said. He admitted that GameStop isn't swimming in the really old stuff but pointed out that the Game Boy Advance was only pulled from circulation a year and a half ago, that the original Xbox was kept in stock until 2009 and the PlayStation 2 is still around, albeit in reduced numbers. Furthermore, a lot of relatively old, hard-to-find games are still banging around in various GameStop locations, where they're of absolutely no use to the vast majority of customers who'd be interested in buying them.

"Sometimes what's funny is if you put a preowned title in the store, a lot of customers may not really want it in a store, But if you're a collector of Call of Duty, and there's an old Call of Duty original, Call of Duty 2, floating around, it has a lot of value for you," he explained. "Right now, you don't have an easy way to find it, because it might not be available on our website, but it might be in 300 stores out of our 4,600 in the U.S. and you don't have a way of finding it. So if we can put that collector's type product on a really cool site that allows you to see what we have available and so forth, then we think it's interesting."

As much as anything else, that access to inventory is why I think this is a potentially great idea. I used to buy a lot of pre-owned stuff, back in the days when GameStop (or EB [http://www.ebgames.ca/], as it's more commonly known in the Great White North) still carried pre-owned PC games, not because I'm cheap but because it's the only way to get a lot of games I missed the first time around. But it's a crap shoot; maybe your local branch has this stuff, and maybe it doesn't. If GameStop can make all of that stock available to anyone, how is that anything but a win for collectors?

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/07/gamestop-ceo-details-progress-of-vintage-game-sale-initiative/]

gentlemanghost

Jul 7, 2011
Oh, Gamestop, when you bought out Rhino, maybe if you had just left the stores as they were instead of so readily assimilating/converting them into the Borg...er Gamstop collective, you wouldn't have fucked yourselves. But I'm sure you would have found some other way of doing that

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
I don't care what people say about GameStop - I'm absolutely loving the idea of this. As I said before, I go to GS solely to pick up old PS2 & PS3 games I missed the first time around and can pick up for fairly cheap. This is right up my alley.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
If GameStop can make all of that stock available to anyone, how is that anything but a win for collectors?
...Because as the big dog, Gamestop is likely to set the price that everyone else will then base their prices around. And some of Gamestop's pricing decisions have been downright asinine.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
inb4 the Gamestop hate train even though this is a wonderful idea. I don't have a specialized retro game store anywhere near me so if I wanted to pick up some old N64 game again, my only option is to either look for it online (i.e. a ridiculous price on eBay) or see if I can get it through someone personally (i.e. be really, really lucky). I'd much rather be able to just drive to a Gamestop and have it right there.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, I don't go to gamestop much anymore, but if I could start getting spare N64 controllers and games there I'd love it. I'd love to be able to buy Super Mario 64 again, I traded mine for Super Smash Bros. I don't regret the trade, but I'd like the game again, along with a few others.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Why did people get angry about this? Personally I think its a great idea, I have wanted to start a collection of classic consoles and games but have been put off after reading the problems collectors have with buying broken hardware and games. If you can get things from GameStop it might cost a bit more but at least you are guaranteed to get a working machine or your money back.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Amazon sells games for cheaper anyway. Uncharted 3 and Infamous 2 are 39.99 each at Walmart and Game Stop but only 19.99 each at amazon New with free shipping so yeah......

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Great, there are a lot of PS games that i (would have) bought in flea markets that i would have bought from a used retailer if one was available.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Looks like my local chain "Toy Vault" has some competition. Luckily, they're also a collectibles, action figures and comic book store so this shouldn't affect them too hardcore.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If gamestop was smart they would be planning for the digital takeover by putting in place a method for people to be able to get a physical version of a digital game. Telltale does something like this, if you buy their game digitally then you can order a physical copy from them for only a few bucks, and I like having a physical copy.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Given that I had to search all over the place to find 4Jays in order to replace my Intellivision II a few years back, I have trouble getting mad over this. I may not use this sort of service very often but, if I need to find an old NES cartridge, I don't mind having an easy alternative to Ebay/Entertainmart (Game Force closed up out here due to Entertainmart) to finding said cartridge.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
This would be amazing, especially if they go all the way back to the N64/PS1 generation seeing as I love old games but am also one of those freaks who prefers to shop at actual stores. I avoid amazon whenever I can, and Ebay can fuck right off so I would be nice to just go to the local GameStop and find this stuff without the hassle.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Despite living in the UK, I'd say it's a great idea, you could easily compete with eBay provided you get the numbers right and it'd be a good nostalgia trip.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
This is a good idea.. assuming Gamestop realizes what is involved in vintage collecting ... condition. Gamestop sells a lot of stuff that's in atrocious condition for a pretty high price, conversely, I can get something in near-mint condition off Amazon or Ebay far cheaper than gamestop and in a lot of cases I wont even need to pay shipping.

I'm just curious how they're going to do it. Gamestop just purged their PSP and Gamecube stock from the shelves of most stores to make room for 3ds, Vita, and future consoles... how are they going to accommodate a section for vintage games.