Art of Cooking in Guild Wars 2

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Art of Cooking in Guild Wars 2

Sometimes you'll be killing monsters for strawberries instead of epic loot and experience.

Read Full Article

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Hello, great article :D I enjoyed leveling cooking in gw2 and the random patch of vegetables or fruit guarded by an angry veteran is really funny. I'm going to leave this guide here as it really helped me level my cookery in GW2.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AnOu8k29K7szdFdQczNBcXRJSmVZaG5EUlNRU2tBZWc&toomany=true#gid=0

I hope that helps some people, the buffs from high level food is super nice and you can make dyes too!

The relevant credit is on the sheet itself :3

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
I'm going to have to disagree. There is nothing more disappointing than spending time turning wood into planks only to realize that what you can create is not as powerful as what a monster just dropped 5 minutes ago and that you cannot apply the shiny stone of shininess to your new doodad because you have not spent enough time turning wood into planks. (Holy run on sentence!)

Then again, maybe I just chose poorly when it came to my crafting professions.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
wetfart said:
I'm going to have to disagree. There is nothing more disappointing than spending time turning wood into planks only to realize that what you can create is not as powerful as what a monster just dropped 5 minutes ago and that you cannot apply the shiny stone of shininess to your new doodad because you have not spent enough time turning wood into planks. (Holy run on sentence!)

And does that apply to the cooking in GW2? (I don't play, so I'm not sure it's analagous.)

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
wetfart said:

And does that apply to the cooking in GW2? (I don't play, so I'm not sure it's analagous.)
No, cooking is actually pretty unique in it's rewards. It's by far the most difficult profession to level, but it's also by far and away the most rewarding of them in that you can't really get those buffs elsewhere.

As for the others... at 80, many of the items I'm making are just as good as the ones I can find in dungeons, though they can be statted up differently.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Susan, do you need a hug? This is the second person today who's opened their mouth about something they aren't educated on... on guild wars 2.

OT great review, I have yet to really get into cooking, but, It looks like I need to carry a sickle with me seeing as I learned something new about the games inventory features today. Thanks Justin.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
i love games with crafting especially cooking, i may have to pick this game up after all haha, and on a side note I, am really craving strawberries now, i wonder why? ha

Nghtgnt

May 30, 2010
The profession trainers in-game say it's an "advanced profession" because you need so many varied mats. How much more difficult is it to level compared to the standard professions?

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
wetfart said:

I don't like the normal crafting either, but the cooking is great. I'm hoping they nerf the ingredients needed for the the normal crafting at some point because it seems a little silly atm.

I did the starting areas twice on the same character because I went back and played with my friend and I still didn't have enough to level them without the ah. That seems a bit much to me.

Nghtgnt said:
The profession trainers in-game say it's an "advanced profession" because you need so many varied mats. How much more difficult is it to level compared to the standard professions?
I found it way easier.

Twyce

Mostly a Lurker
Apr 1, 2009
I loooove the cooking craft. Its the profession my main has! The only way I see it being 'advanced' is due to the amount of money you can drop it (of course, you could say that about any profession). I've used a ton of karma and coin buying up supplies.

I s'pose I could go harvest, but I'm way too impatient to do that, especially when in the midst of it.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
I have not tried the cooking yet. I decided that my fearsome necromancer would be making magical staves and rings. And I found that what I had the ability to create was worse than what I had just found off of a dead deer.

As it is, I'm a bit turned off to crafting. I can't set this shiny gem into my ring until I reach Jeweler 75? Bah. Maybe I'll try being a cook and serve everyone up some moa omelettes.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
wetfart said:
Susan Arendt said:
I have not tried the cooking yet. I decided that my fearsome necromancer would be making magical staves and rings. And I found that what I had the ability to create was worse than what I had just found off of a dead deer.

As it is, I'm a bit turned off to crafting. I can't set this shiny gem into my ring until I reach Jeweler 75? Bah. Maybe I'll try being a cook and serve everyone up some moa omelettes.
But you start off saying you disagree. If you don't like crafting, ok, that's totally reasonable, but you're disagreeing with something you haven't actually tried? That's not really fair.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Am I the only one that was pissed off watching this video because you didn't know you could store mats from anywhere in the game without the crafting table or bank npc?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Unlike your thief, while my thief is rich (from noble background) but he's inexperience at cooking... I really need to level his cooking skill (and two others) alot higher!
I mean I got quite a few ingredients but I can't combine some of them due to my current level is too low (my three characters are above 25). Also I need to backtrack to some of the previous NPC with the renown hearts as I didn't know they become Karma merchants once you finish their requests!

Henriot

Dec 15, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Unlike your thief, while my thief is rich (from noble background) but he's inexperience at cooking... I really need to level his cooking skill (and two others) alot higher!
I mean I got quite a few ingredients but I can't combine some of them due to my current level is too low (my three characters are above 25). Also I need to backtrack to some of the previous NPC with the renown hearts as I didn't know they become Karma merchants once you finish their requests!
I don't know HOW you play, but reading that first paragraph had me already making a story up for your thief...

Always had someone else cooking for him/her, now they're out in the big world and they realise they need this very basic skill.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I have so many cooking mats that my collectible tab is overflowing and I have to sell the overflow.
I should start leveling it.
...though I'm already levelling armour smithing, weapon smithing, huntery, jewelerying, and artificification.
So much to do!

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Outside of jewelry and cooking, I've avoided crafting. Jewelry can make some nice things and has less of a drag than the other crafts that just can't keep up with PvE'ing as I never have enough low-level supplies to level my crafting to reach the next tier before I move on again.