Stop Zombie Mouth!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Stop Zombie Mouth!

The American Dental Association is teaming up with PopCap Games to promote a healthy Halloween without all the sucktastic fruit.

Every neighborhood has it: the house that hands out apples and toothbrushes on Halloween. And we know what happens next, right gang? You throw 'em throw their windows and then set their lawn ornaments on fire! Yeah! Or maybe you could just skip that house next year. Either way, there are few things lamer than fruit for Halloween. Yet the American Dental Association is obligated to draw a line in the sand somewhere. What's a poor, fun-sucking dental advisory board to do?

This year, the ADA is trying something different: the Stop Zombie Mouth campaign! America's dentists have teamed up with PopCap to "redefine what a Halloween 'treat' can be... by giving FUN instead of candy!" And yes, that sounds incredibly lame too, but it's actually not a terrible idea. PopCap has made printable coupons available for either PC or Mac versions of Plants vs. Zombies [http://www.popcap.com/games/plants-vs-zombies/online], and apparently some dentists even have "limited edition, collectible Plants vs. Zombies trading cards" with codes on them to give away.

The codes appear to be all the same so you don't have to worry about running out, and if you want to be "that guy" I suppose you could download a coupon and use it yourself as you sit alone on Halloween in your darkened house, hoping that nobody rings your bell. The only potential downside is the great likelihood that everyone who gets this coupon already has Plants vs. Zombies, but it's still better than an apple or an orange - and no matter how tightly you crumple it up, there's no way you can throw one of these coupons through a plate glass window. (Pro tip to participants: American Dental Association be damned, kick in a couple Tootsie Rolls with this thing. Better safe than sorry.)

Halloween arrives on all platforms on October 31. Don't miss it!

Source: Stop Zombie Mouth [http://www.stopzombiemouth.com/]

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Well, Zombies make everything better. That's a scientific fact[footnote]I think.[/footnote]

I highly doubt it will encourage young and mature children not to stuff their faces with sweets, though.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
See, that's the thing. Some folks I know figure candy's the worst thing you could give out on Halloween. To the sensible parents out there; your fucking kid doesn't want to hear about enamel-corroding bacteria or about how Grandma lost all her teeth because in her day, going to the dentist with a single cavity meant the guy gave up and tore the lot of 'em out.

This is the one night during the year where it's socially acceptable to stuff your face with cheap chocolate and with that kind of horribly stiff toffee that always feels like it's going to fracture one of your molars into four pieces. Let your kids have that night.

THEN, and only then, tell them it's important that they brush their damn teeth. Halloween only comes once a year, but preventative measures need to last all year long. There's no need to be "that neighbour" and figure that toothbrushes and apples are actually going to make the kids go "Golly gee willickers, ma'am! Thanks a bunch for those hard fruits filled with those yucky unprocessed carbs my parents keep telling me about!"

I applaud PopCap's initiative because it's one heck of an awesome PR stint, but honestly? Candy is candy, folks. I'm 29 and by God, on Halloween night, I'm getting myself a motherfucking Toblerone. Frozen solid, too. Fuck my dentist, because I brush my damn teef and floss, the other 364 nights of the year.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
It should just be illegal to not give out candy on halloween, and any offenders must then be forced to live in an edible candy house for no less than three days with nothing to eat but the house.

On a more positive note, were I able to participate in the candy dispensing festivities this year I would totally be handing those coupons out with every fist-full of candy I drop in a kid's bag.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
This is cool. I don't see it really catching on though. Also if codes are all the same I want to know what it is :)

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
That's a nice idea, PopCap. But where be my Plants VS Zombies 2 update, screenshot, news?

Felgy76

Oct 29, 2008
People love to whinge about candy being bad for your teeth, but interestingly potato products are far worse than sugary treats.
The simple sugars in candy are easily broken down by saliva, but starchy potato sits between your teeth for much longer, providing an excellent breeding ground for tooth destroying bacteria.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I will buy 100 of them for myself. Then my teeth with be perfect