Source Claims AntiSec Lied About FBI Hack

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Source Claims AntiSec Lied About FBI Hack

A small Florida publishing company says it, and not the FBI, was the source of the one million Apple UDIDs released by AntiSec last week.

There was a mighty uproar last week when hacker group AntiSec claimed it had obtained 12 million [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119432-Hackers-Swipe-12-Million-Apple-Device-Codes-From-the-FBI] unique device identifiers attached to various Apple devices from a compromised FBI laptop. How could FBI security be so lax as to allow hackers to get into one of its computers - and what was it doing with 12 million UDIDs in the first place? The FBI denied it ever happened, but what else would you expect it to claim?

Unfortunately for all the conspiracy theorists out there, it looks like feds may have been telling the truth. Paul DeHart, CEO of digital publishing company Blue Toad [http://www.bluetoad.com/BlueToad/], has come forward to lay claim to the data, saying that his technicians compared the information released by Anonymous with the company's database and found a 98 percent correlation.

"That's 100 percent confidence level, it's our data," DeHart told NBC News. "As soon as we found out we were involved and victimized, we approached the appropriate law enforcement officials, and we began to take steps to come forward, clear the record and take responsibility for this."

Blue Toad was put on the trail by researcher David Schuetz, who contacted the company last week to say it might have been the source for the data. Schuetz had analyzed the data released by AntiSec and found several clues pointing at Blue Toad, including "numerous" devices with names that included variations of the company name. "What I was seeing was that there were - of the million devices that were in there - there were a few devices that showed up multiple times with themes that were related to Blue Toad," he said. "By the time I was done, late Tuesday night, I think I had 19 devices that... all belonged to Blue Toad."

The company doesn't know who actually stole the data, but analysis indicates that it was taken within the last two weeks, rather than in March as AntiSec had claimed. And while the FBI had no reason to possess the data, Blue Toad does.

"As an app developer, BlueToad would have access to a user's device information such as UDID, device name and type," Apple rep Trudy Mullter said. And while Blue Toad isn't a well-known company, DeHart claimed the company serves 100 million page views every month and has partnerships with "household name" companies.

Despite the discovery, Schuetz said he couldn't say for certain whether AntiSec's claims about getting the data from the FBI are false. "It does raise questions," he said. "I think people need to question what they see online, whether it comes from Anonymous or from a news organization or from a politician or from a corporation. You need to not take things at face value right away and jump straight to what you think it says. Somebody says, 'Oh this, came from the FBI,' everybody believes it. Well, let's think about [it]."

Source: NBC News [http://redtape.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/10/13781440-exclusive-the-real-source-of-apple-device-ids-leaked-by-anonymous-last-week]

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
okay, we still all know about the patriot act, this wont change a thing.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
"I think people need to question what they see online, whether it comes from Anonymous or from a news organization or from a politician or from a corporation.
I don't think the word "online" was needed in that sentence.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
SURPRISE!! We all knew they lied!

Tent thanks Blue Toad, for coming out and debunking the "I want to be famous" spoiled children.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
At least they came out and admitted it's their data. Props to them for being honest.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
BeerTent said:
SURPRISE!! We all knew they lied!

Tent thanks Blue Toad, for coming out and debunking the "I want to be famous" spoiled children.
Yup, called it.

Not that it was hard. AntiSec's claims raised so many red flags for anyone doing any research into security that it was hard to take it seriously.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Sources (me) claim that Santa Claus may have been involved with the incident.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Love it when something turns out to look like a terrible movie conspiracy plot, i.e. this is an obvious Government cover up! XD

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Well I, for one, won't be letting the facts get in the way of a perfectly good conspiracy.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
Every time I hear a news story related to Lulsec(AntiSec, 4chan, Anonymous, whatever) stealing something, I feel faintly like I'm in the future.