Assassin's Creed 2 Game Turns Twitter Into a Warzone

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Assassin's Creed 2 Game Turns Twitter Into a Warzone

Ubisoft is taking Twitter marketing to the next level with the Assassin's Creed 2 Assassination Experience, a web game that uses your Twitter account to virtually assassinate other players over the social network.

Here I thought that writing a nasty @reply to someone over Twitter was lethal enough in a figurative sense, but Ubisoft is turning tweets into stabs and slashes with its new Assassin's Creed 2 promotional web game, the Twitter Assassination Experience [http://assassinscreed.us.ubi.com/assassins-creed-2/twitter/#/twitter/profile/].

After you sign up you'll be assigned "targets" (other Twitter users) who you have to kill by tweeting commands like "@keanerie stabs @Malygris" or something like that. When you successfully take out a target or escape from your would-be killer (you get a few hours to write your @reply), you earn experience and rank up, which will eventually unlock new weapons, counters, escape maneuvers and achievements, which are all tracked on the extremely stylish site for the game.

There's also an "Aggressive Mode" that allows you to simply click on users on an Animus-esque chart to attack and defend if you'd rather not play the game through Twitter. It's a lot more fast-paced since you don't have to wait for whoever you're trying to kill to get around to checking their account and writing a reply.

The whole thing is nicely presented (if a bit confusing when you read the rules) and a pretty elaborate and innovative way of pushing a game over Twitter, which is inundated with your run-of-the-mill marketing these days.

The only annoying thing is that even if you turn off the damn auto-tweets, you're still looking at a lot of spam all over your Twitter. Spam and blood, that is. I know some of you guys are on Twitter, so get to killing, people.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Wow that sound like such a waste of time. I'd much rather just load up a FPS.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Foolishman1776 said:
As if Twitter wasn't ridiculous enough, now it's almost to the point of self parody.
The next logical step would be to track them down to their homes and stab them.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
this is a terrible idea. what if after virtually killing our friends, we are driven to real life murder!?

yes i shall start playing, sounds fun

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
This will result in spammity spaaaam... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE]

bishop186

Oct 8, 2007
If it didn't sound so damned annoying, I'd play it. I might make a new account and use that to play it or something.

MasterSqueak

May 10, 2009
A second original advertising move? In the same day?

I'm...conflicted. I want to sign up so bad....

DemonI81

Aug 27, 2008
I wish Ubi would put as much time into ensuring their games are quality and bug free as they do into advertising...

tucci

Jul 9, 2008
Is twitter gonna become like facebook and have a bunch of stupid gimmicky crap on it like this?

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
tucci said:
Is twitter gonna become like facebook and have a bunch of stupid gimmicky crap on it like this?
Only in a pure-textual form, nothing like the constant "Application Requests" on Facebook. You just get told you have a reply, nothing that sits in your interface and demands dismissing.

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
Eh, what do people do when they're dead. And, Assassin's Creed was only about 5% assassinating, 95% running around completing objectives randomly killing guards along the way to collect information. I hope Twitter doesn't force you to collect information about where people live and what they do during the day before you can assassinate them, because that would end rather hilariously awkward.
"Hi, I'm [insert twitter username here], and I want to add you as a friend. Do you have where you live, your hobbies etc. on your page?"
"No, I'm afraid not, why do you ask, you sick stalker?" OR "Yes, I do. You want to assassinate me don't you"
"No reason...no reason..." OR "Err...why would I want to assassinate you? I just thought you looked-"
"--You want to assassinate me"
"Yes"
"Go away"
And even that would get pretty boring. I hope it doesn't turn out like that.

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
Sounds like they took Killer and threw it on the internet. It could be fun, but just saying @someone stabs @someoneelse seems kinda boring. Maybe it will turn out better than I imagine, but I don't think I'll be participating.