Terraria Goes to Consoles, PC Gamers Go Nuts

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Terraria Goes to Consoles, PC Gamers Go Nuts

PC gamers are hopping mad that the indie hit Terraria is coming to consoles.

Released back in May 2011, the action-adventure-RPG Terraria was a pretty big hit as far as indie PC games go, topping the Steam sales charts with roughly 200,000 copies sold during its first week of release and earning a cool $2 million along the way. Re-logic, the studio behind the game, announced [http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/my-fellow-terrarians.81455/] in February 2012 that after one final bug fix, development of the game would cease; creator Andrew Spinks said he had a new son on the way, and that he wanted to spend some time "recharging and bettering myself as both a programmer and game designer."

It was a bit of a surprise, then, but also cause for much joy when Spinks said in July [http://steamcommunity.com/groups/OdysseyGamez/announcements/detail/1551738659758215817] that he had a "pretty big Terraria-related announcement" coming in the near future; and the announcement itself - that Terraria is "coming soon" to Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network - was an even bigger surprise, but it's safe to say that the "joy" part of the equation is out the window.

The Terraria Facebook page is currently not a happy place as PC gamers, once again demonstrating why they are the respected and even beloved elite of the videogaming community, vent their rage over what they seem to see as a betrayal of... well, something. Most of the comments can't be printed here (it gets a little swear-y), but the majority of the anger seems to be directed at the developer's decision to release a "cash grab" console version rather than a proper update for the PC. Fueling that rage is the fact that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 editions will feature extra content, but there's been no indication that the new material, whatever it may be, will be released for the PC.

There has been some pushback from gamers who think the outraged reaction has gone too far, and even one or two who thank the developers for providing dozens or even hundreds of hours of gameplay for a measly ten bucks, but overall, doom, gloom and idiot rage rule the roost. It's quite a contrast from yesterday's tease of today's announcement, which was followed by hundreds of messages of happiness, appreciation and love from fans.

The 360 and PS3 versions of Terraria are currently slated to arrive in early 2013. More information can be found on the official Terraria Facebook page [http://www.terrariaonline.com/forums/news-features.3/] - but please, try not to embarrass yourself.

Dec 14, 2009
This seems very familiar...

So familiar.

I just can't put my finger on it...

I think it rhymes with Hark Rolls.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
As a PC gamer myself, I feel I must jump in on this.

I don't care. It's a good game and would work well on consoles.

Whoo... Glad to let off some steam like that. Sorry to go all "preachy" and stuff. I probably shouldn't have swore so much, but I felt my opinion needed to be stated.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with
Nice, because THAT statement won't piss anybody off at all.

OT: I think this is actually really funny.
Part of me even wonders whether this is was an intentional trolling from the company.

Dev: "We're making a BIG announcement for our PC Exclusive GAME!"

Fans: "YAY! <3 you guys! :D:D:D:D Can't wait!"

Dev: "We're bringing it to consoles."

Fans: "RAGERAGE!"

Dev:

*Slow Clap*

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
As a PC gamer I apologies for the behavior of my peers. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go shout at Steam for letting IOS games on their store.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I have a feeling this isn't really about it going to the consoles as much as its the game was abandoned by the dev despite all the promises of updates.

The project was completely abandoned before completion, leaving a massive list of promised features not implemented. It was a sad and frustrating end to a very enjoyable game.

Then out of the blue to have a console version announced, when their version of the game is completely unfinished? I can understand the frustration. They are assuming that the console version will be an idealized complete version of the game, and that the PC version will not get that.

Maybe an unfounded assumption but it wouldn't be the first time, I really can't blame these people, as un-eloquent as they may be.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
I don't mind PC-only games being turned into console ports, what I do mind is when I come to read the news and get insulted instead.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Unbelievable... PC Elitism at it's worst. They should be happy that more people will get to play a great game, and that the developer will become more successful and in turn make more stuff. That is ridiculous that anybody should think the game belongs solely to the PC users.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Xbox live AND PSN? That's great news for console owners, indeed.

And hey, don't single out PC gamers. It's not like console gamers are the pinnacle of sense and sanity either.

http://www.destructoid.com/ps3-user-mad-about-skyrim-s-dlc-snub-just-stop-crying--234406.phtml

Anyway. I'm glad that Terraria is coming to both consoles, instead of just one like that other game. Hopefully it'll be a success on there as well.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
As a lover of Terraria and a hard core PC gamer, I'm glad that the company is going to expand. I just hope they don't waste excessive amounts of money with Micro$hits shitty XBoxLive service. I know it costs some money to get stuff up on there. I want this developer to be as successful as possible, they deserve it.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Ya, it's not that it's going to consoles. It's that it's going to consoles with ANYTHING new at all. I wouldn't be offended in the least if it was just going to consoles, ports happen all the time. When the devs tease 'Big Terraria Announcement!' and the announcement is 'shiny new things...only on the upcoming console port!' it is kind of irritating.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
GAunderrated said:
I have a feeling this isn't really about it going to the consoles as much as its the game was abandoned by the dev despite all the promises of updates.

The project was completely abandoned before completion, leaving a massive list of promised features not implemented. It was a sad and frustrating end to a very enjoyable game.

Then out of the blue to have a console version announced, when their version of the game is completely unfinished? I can understand the frustration. They are assuming that the console version will be an idealized complete version of the game, and that the PC version will not get that.

Maybe an unfounded assumption but it wouldn't be the first time, I really can't blame these people, as un-eloquent as they may be.
This. Kinda how I feel.

I'm not raging and swearing my head off (some of those comments got pretty...eloquent), but it's frustrating nonetheless because of the situation GAunderrated described.

This is all hinging on whether this new content comes to the Steam version or not, because so far there's been no word.

Andy Chalk said:
PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with,
That's a bit antagonistic, now isn't it? I mean, most of the rage I've seen is about the situation I've quoted, not because it'll be available for the 'console plebs' (I couldn't care less, half my games are on consoles).

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Facebook pages and their comment sections have some of the biggest tards I've ever seen on the internet. I'd rather spend hours reading youtube comments. Anyways, yay good for Terraria.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well, ignoring the hatred, I'll just say that I'm glad they're bringing it to consoles. Highly regarded game by my PC playing friends so I'll be glad to give this a go on Xbox.

I wonder as well, if they're going to do the same thing that happened with Dark Souls but in reverse, with Re-Logic charging PC users for the extra content.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Bernzz said:
GAunderrated said:

This. Kinda how I feel.

I'm not raging and swearing my head off (some of those comments got pretty...eloquent), but it's frustrating nonetheless because of the situation GAunderrated described.

This is all hinging on whether this new content comes to the Steam version or not, because so far there's been no word.

Andy Chalk said:
PC gamers, an inherently insecure bunch to begin with,
That's a bit antagonistic, now isn't it? I mean, most of the rage I've seen is about the situation I've quoted, not because it'll be available for the 'console plebs' (I couldn't care less, half my games are on consoles).
Yes I am HOPING that with the release of the console versions they will impliment the updates that were promised originally that way everyone is happy. The console users get to enjoy a GREAT game and the PC users get the content that was promised.

What I am sure many people are assuming (and I can't blame them for thinking that) the console will get all the updates that were promised for the PC BUT they will pay for it (raking in the $$$) and leaving the PC users who love this game in the dust (or require them to pay and more rage ensures).