Wii U Gets December Launch Date in Japan

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Wii U Gets December Launch Date in Japan

The Wii U will be available in two separate bundles when it launches in Japan.

Last night, Nintendo announced the Japanese launch date and price for the Wii U. Nintendo's next console will be available in Japan on December 8, arriving in two separate bundles: one priced at 26,250 yen, and a more expensive one for ¥31,500. Though the prices likely won't transfer exactly to US currency, that's about $338 for the basic bundle and $405 for the premium bundle.

The less expensive bundle includes a white Wii U console, one GamePad controller, an HDMI cable, and an 8GB hard drive. The pricier bundle has a black console and GamePad, an HDMI cable, a console stand, a GamePad charging dock, and a 32GB hard drive. The premium bundle will also have access to the Nintendo Network Premium service, which runs through December 2014. Those who subscribe will get eShop points and a 10% discount on digital purchases.

Additional GamePad controllers will cost ¥13,440, or about $173. New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land will be launch titles, with the Japanese pricing at ¥6,000 ($77) and ¥5,000 ($64), respectively.

We'll have US launch information shortly when Nintendo's press conference kicks off in New York City.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/wii-u-priced-31500-26250-in-japan-available-december-8/]

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
Ooomph...
It's safe to assume that this translates into 350$ and 400$ respectively and the same in ? for Europe. That... hurts my wallet indeed... :C

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Expensive O.O
I won't get it at launch either way butwe'll see...
Just hope a good selection of games comes at launch too, otherwise the wait might be a bit too long.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
So basically you can buy a 3ds cheaper than one WiiU controller...

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I just can't wait for the Zelda game. A Pokemon Stadium
game would be nice too.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Once I see some system buying games i'll consider the price tag. Until then I'm happy to sit back and watch.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Boudica said:
This is still a thing? I dunno... I think it's still all a joke or a misunderstanding. I can't see Nintendo making this much of a massive bomb.
Speak for yourself. I'm excited for this, and while I won't be buying it right at launch, I will be a few months later after the bugs have been found and fixed.

greenice

Apr 7, 2010
Keep your pants on people, things are always more expensive in Japan so just wait for the conference in New York and see the actual prices.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Uh, this is already leading to confusion. Japaneses prices do not necessarily mean anything for pricing anywhere else. They are still one of the most expensive countries to live in, paying significantly more for basic things than people in the US pay, for example.

But, that doesn't mean we aren't looking at the most expensive Nintendo system ever here. If that's the case, game lineup means more than it ever has before. Also.... what about US launch date and pricing, anything on that?

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Wait, 8GB? And 32GB?

Um... anyone else think those numbers are kind of small? So, I'm assuming we can't install games to the hard drive.

I don't want to get on some sort of Nintendo hate bus, but I kind of thought the U would have, you know, BETTER hardware than the 360 and PS3. At least the 360.

Am I missing something?

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
I hope to god those hard-drives are interchangeable/expandable and not proprietary bullshit.
If its a simple Sata port and we can simply swap them around like the PS3 Ill be happy, if not then why the hell are they even offering an e-shop with such small drive space.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Krantos said:
Am I missing something?
Nope, this is it.
Even though I'm not voting for the success of this console I'm suprised, it's just kinda low.

gentlemanghost

Jul 7, 2011
Boudica said:
I can't see Nintendo making this much of a massive bomb.
Um...remember Virtual Boy? Game Boy Micro? Nintendo usually makes good systems, but there are a few Bob-ombs in the bunch, this possibly being one of them.