ESPN and Ubisoft Bringing "Casual" Sports Game to Wii U

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
ESPN and Ubisoft Bringing "Casual" Sports Game to Wii U

ESPN Sports Connection for the Wii U will have multiple types of sports, multiplayer, and plenty of ESPN branding.

In addition to the eight games it already has on Nintendo's launch window list, Ubisoft is bringing one more title to the Wii U this holiday season. The publisher has teamed up with ESPN to create ESPN Sports Connection, which features soccer, football, baseball, tennis, golf, and go-karting, with a press release implying that even more will be available in the final game.

ESPN Sports Connection, which is "ESPN's debut presence in the casual multi-sport gaming space," was described as "the next generation of multi-sports games" in the press release. It will utilize the Wii U's GamePad controller differently for each sport, allowing players to "control the blitz" in football or get a 360-degree view of each hole in golf. There will be single-player, co-op, and multiplayer modes, which will support up to five players (with one using the GamePad).

And if you were worried about a lack of ESPN branding in your sports games, fret no more: "players will unlock original designs to create their own unique ESPN-branded gear as they progress through over 250 diverse in-game achievements. ESPN logos include ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN Classic, SportsNation, ESPNFC, and more."

ESPN Sports Connection will be available for the Wii U this holiday season. Though the ESPN branding might be a little heavy-handed, it could be a way to introduce non-gamers to the Wii U, much like Wii Sports did with the Wii.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
ESPN Sports Connection will be available for the Wii U this holiday season. Though the ESPN branding might be a little heavy-handed, it could be a way to introduce non-gamers to the Wii U, much like Wii Sports did with the Wii.
BUT wii sports was free, and included with every system. Nintendo land (the wii sports of Wii-U) will cost $50-$60.

this on the other hand will just be a $40-$60 (probably 60) third party sports game reminiscent of EA sports

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be honest I'd have more respect for, and perhaps interest in, the Wii U, if they weren't producing games like this. When I see Bayonetta 2, right alongside something like this, it makes me think they are spreading too thin in trying to cater to everyone, and honestly when they bring the casuals in it almost invariably means "real" games are going to suffer.
The Wii just never really recovered from the way it staked out it's core audience, and couldn't get developers to really take the time to make many quality games for serious gamers.

Also I'll say this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, it seems like paying for an advertisement. Being a casual game I'm reminded of say those burger king games (Sneak King, etc...) they handed out at one time, except they want $60 of your money so they can spam you with how great ESPN is... with an attached low end sports game. :)