Latest ZombiU Trailer Shows Off GamePad Controls

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Latest ZombiU Trailer Shows Off GamePad Controls

Utilize your inventory to survive a zombie-infested London in ZombiU.

"There is no saving the world. No evacuation, no cure, no respite." This is the hopeless situation presented in the newest trailer for ZombiU, a Wii U exclusive from Ubisoft that was announced earlier this year. In addition to needing to know how to use firearms, survival in a time of zombie apocalypse appears to also depend on the player's ability to "scavenge for supplies" and stock his or her safehouse, adding some strategy to what could have been a fairly standard zombie shooter.

The trailer gives a glimpse of the television and GamePad screen during the single-player campaign, showing some of the controller's uses. Selecting and upgrading weapons, inventory management, and navigating the world map can all be done from the GamePad, without having to bring up a separate menu on the main screen. The GamePad screen is also used as a sniper scope in the video, and it will be interesting to see what other weapon-specific uses it has in the full game.

Though it still doesn't have an official launch date in North America, ZombiU is slated to be released during the Wii U's launch window, which means any time between November 18 and next March.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Quite interested in this game, though partly that's down to it being set in London, I'll be interested to see what sort of reviews it eventually gets.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Inventory management, radar/map, very cool.

Turret control, sniper scopes, very gimmicky.

I'm curious to see how this all handles ingame, and what other games will do to make use of the the tablet. The game itself looks alright, nothing too special besides the WiiU controls.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Two things kept rolling around in my head watching that. The first was that I'm sure I recognise the voicework but can't place it. The second is that London looks cleaner and more orderly during a zombie apocalypse then on a Saturday night.

Tohuvabohu said:

The fact there's no UI on the main screen is probably what I was most eager to see in action with Wii-U games and it looks like it'll work really well. Hopefully you'll have an option to be able to control the scope with the joystick otherwise I can see it getting old fast. I'll probably pick this up at some point because while I really hate zombie games in general, I like to support games that are set somewhere a bit different.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Plinglebob said:
Two things kept rolling around in my head watching that. The first was that I'm sure I recognise the voicework but can't place it. The second is that London looks cleaner and more orderly during a zombie apocalypse then on a Saturday night.

Tohuvabohu said:

The fact there's no UI on the main screen is probably what I was most eager to see in action with Wii-U games and it looks like it'll work really well. Hopefully you'll have an option to be able to control the scope with the joystick otherwise I can see it getting old fast. I'll probably pick this up at some point because while I really hate zombie games in general, I like to support games that are set somewhere a bit different.
Sounds like Mormont from Game of Thrones. James Cosmo. Not sure if it actually is, though.

As for the game, I'm slightly interested, but there's the other one in production I'm more excited about... what's it called? There was the news story about building safe areas and such a couple weeks ago.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
If I can't play it with a regular controller, I am not interested in the slightest.

Unless most WiiU games offer the chance to use the normal controller, I doubt I'll be getting one. I've had my fill of gimmicky motion controls and crappy touchscreens.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Looks more like wishful thinking a la milo to me, reaction to the game included.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I can't decide whether the controller screen is brilliant or incredibly stupid. The mini screen could be a great way of allowing menu and inventory management, without having to pause the game. At the same time, I can imagine the miniscreen being used like a gimmicky piece of crap, in which the game forces you to depend on fumbly, awkward controls that make it tedious/annoyingly hard to complete basic tasks.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Plinglebob said:
Two things kept rolling around in my head watching that. The first was that I'm sure I recognise the voicework but can't place it.
I think it's Price from the COD series.

EDIT: Billy Murray...maybe.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I like how it turns you into a zombie when you lose. Got to wonder if the national guard knows about this though. I wonder if the playtesters were told what they were getting into. I bet this game will be censored in Germany due to risk of a zombie apocalypse or other stupid reservations. With a little luck Nintendo will release an appropriate gun-controller to shoot yourself in the head with, before the transformation completes.