New Super Mario Bros. U Trailer Shows Off New Modes

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
New Super Mario Bros. U Trailer Shows Off New Modes

Use the GamePad controller to help or hinder your friends in New Super Mario Bros. U.

In addition to giving players a glimpse at a few baby Yoshis, the latest New Super Mario Bros. U trailer shows off a lot of new gameplay footage. As seen at E3 earlier this year, the player using the GamePad can help other players by adding or removing platforms; from the video, it appears that some collectibles can only be reached this way.

The trailer also gives us a look at two new gameplay modes, Challenge Mode and Boost Rush Mode. Challenge Mode was revealed earlier today at Nintendo's press conference, and will have challenges like completing a level in a certain time limit, or doing so without having your character touch the ground. Boost Rush Mode appears to be total chaos, with players attempting to keep up with quickly scrolling environments.

The new modes and GamePad controls definitely seem to go well with the "coopetition" gameplay introduced by New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Nintendo has confirmed that New Super Mario Bros. U will be a Wii U launch day title, so it will be available in North America on November 18.

Dec 14, 2009
So the same game that was released on the DS 6 years ago, then again on the Wii, then again on the 3DS and now on the Wii U.

Same music, same levels, and a gimmick thrown in for good measure.

Great ¬_¬

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I'll get it eventually. Not a day-1 like Rayman, but I'll get it. And I'll most likely enjoy it. Mario's always good. It's a nice little thing to add to the list of "reasons to buy a WiiU", even if it isn't a system seller.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
antipunt said:
Why is this game 2d? Isn't this going to be on the new console?
Yes, and it will have HD graphics as a result.

Why shouldn't it be 2D, exactly? Aren't we past the "Everything must be 3D to be good!" era?

Just look at the Kirby series. It hasn't abandoned its 2D roots for a second, and it's going strong to this day.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
no, I don't care. I will just play super meatboy
Same. As of right now, Super Meat Boy is the best game for me for my platforming hunger. I am really disappointed about this. I have seen them to be capable of mixing things up especially with the Zelda Series. Can't they do the same for Mario games?

And I think the only reason Kirby series has been going the strongest is because Nintendo has not even done anything much to the series other than Epic Yarn.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Mirroga said:
Evil Smurf said:
no, I don't care. I will just play super meatboy
Same. As of right now, Super Meat Boy is the best game for me for my platforming hunger. I am really disappointed about this. I have seen them to be capable of mixing things up especially with the Zelda Series. Can't they do the same for Mario games?

And I think the only reason Kirby series has been going the strongest is because Nintendo has not even done anything much to the series other than Epic Yarn.
yeah, Odd that super meatboy is more fun then mario

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros on the Wii, New Super Mario Bros on the 3DS, and now New Super Mario Bros on the U.

I think I know why there's the "New" prefix. The remaining piece of Nintendo's soul would not dare tarnish the original Mario Bros series with this repetitive series.

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
I have no problem with this except... does anyone else thing that playing with the ability to place platforms, just playing with cheats on or something? I'm a platforming purist, and this looks just way too easy with the place-able blocks. I know I can just play without it, but this means I'll probably never get to enjoy multiplayer.

Also, if they seem to like bringing back the old favorites for the U launch lineup (Mario and Pikmin) could we possibly get a F-Zero game? Seriously. There wasnt a single one on Wii. I was dissapoint. That'd be a system seller for me. Not that Pikmin 3 isnt already.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Chiave said:
I can't believe that people actually continue to buy this tedious shit.
Well many people that buy this game don't buy it for themselves. They buy it for their kids because mario is a brand recognition that is both family friendly and very addicted for newcomers. Those of us that have seen this formula for 20+ years it probably wont appeal too though.

Chiave

Aug 26, 2012
GAunderrated said:
Chiave said:
Well many people that buy this game don't buy it for themselves. They buy it for their kids because mario is a brand recognition that is both family friendly and very addicted for newcomers. Those of us that have seen this formula for 20+ years it probably wont appeal too though.
Ah, good point.

I don't why I keep forgetting that "new gamers" are where the money is at.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
in the first wii iteration, you would have thought all of those extra abilities would have made the game too easy, but...perhaps you underestimate how ridiculous it can get during multiplayer

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Chiave said:
GAunderrated said:
Chiave said:
Ah, good point.

I don't why I keep forgetting that "new gamers" are where the money is at.
We were all "new gamers" at some stage.