Don't Get Your Hopes Up For Beyond Good & Evil 2 Yet

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Don't Get Your Hopes Up For Beyond Good & Evil 2 Yet

Ubisoft says that they've got people working on some sort of Beyond Good & Evil stuff, but that, despite the appearance of supposed leaked footage months ago, a second game is by no means a sure thing.

Early in May some footage leaked that looked a lot like Beyond Good & Evil 2, leading some folks to get their hopes up for an announcement at E3, while others told everyone to simmer down since the video appeared to be just proof of concept footage or a very nice trailer.

Seems that the latter group was in the right here, because as Ubisoft has revealed, Beyond Good & Evil 2 is far from a sure thing. "Whether or not it comes out remains to be seen anyway, but we didn't want to abandon that IP because it has a cache and authenticity about it," Ubisoft's Laurent Detoc told IndustryGamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/interview-ubisofts-detoc-on-turning-gamers-into-players/2/]. "There's something very pure about that game and it's too bad that we were not able to build it as an IP at the time."

Detoc confirmed knowledge of the leak and that Ubisoft has "been working on some Beyond Good and Evil stuff," but "whether there's going to be another game or not, that's something for the future." So there could be another BG&E, but don't starting holding your breath for it just yet. Ubisoft seems only to be working on the franchise because "the creative talent is interested in it and possibly exploring how to do it from a new angle."

As for that leaked video, Detoc confirmed that it was a legitimate leak and not an marketing ploy. "I'll tell you, I didn't know about the leak and neither did my boss," he said. "The problem when you do stuff like [intentional leaks] is if you get caught it's really bad."

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Sad. I really enjoyed that game :( I really hope that they do something with it. Though the whole "looking at it from a different angle" thing kida scares me.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
Aw, I was really excited about this new installment and the whole "new angle" is a bit...eh.

Jarico said:
So...What's their evil plan this time?
To take over the world, what else?

Resistance205

Jun 3, 2008
If I remember correctly there was a video released about a year ago, with people who looked an awful lot like Jade and P.J. They were on the side of the road in the sun. Wasn't that an announcement? Or what was that?

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
Resistance205 said:
If I remember correctly there was a video released about a year ago, with people who looked an awful lot like Jade and P.J. They were on the side of the road in the sun. Wasn't that an announcement? Or what was that?
Believe that was a teaser they released at an E3.

Forget which one.

Resistance205

Jun 3, 2008
Flamma Man said:
Resistance205 said:

Forget which one.
Exactly, so wouldn't that make it confirmed for being in development? Why make a teaser for a game your not going to make anyway?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Resistance205 said:
Flamma Man said:
Resistance205 said:

Forget which one.
Exactly, so wouldn't that make it confirmed for being in development? Why make a teaser for a game your not going to make anyway?
Starcraft: Ghost.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Beyond Good and Evil would make a good case for what Gabe Newell was talking about the other day with gamers investing in titles to help alleviate some of the risks in high production costs for something that they can't guarantee will sell well (given that the first one sold poorly, though in BG&E's defense, it's their own fault for launching it along-side Prince of Persia during the holiday season).

I would gladly plunk down some cash to see them change it from "It's still not certain" to "Yes, it will be coming out".

Resistance205

Jun 3, 2008
Amnestic said:
Resistance205 said:
Flamma Man said:
Resistance205 said:

Forget which one.
You know, I was half expecting someone to say Duke Nukem.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
No company looks for long-term profit nowadays. If they invested some time and money into original ideas more often it wouldn't be stagnating in all this brown browniness.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Beyond Good and Evil would make a good case for what Gabe Newell was talking about the other day with gamers investing in titles to help alleviate some of the risks in high production costs for something that they can't guarantee will sell well (given that the first one sold poorly, though in BG&E's defense, it's their own fault for launching it along-side Prince of Persia during the holiday season).

I would gladly plunk down some cash to see them change it from "It's still not certain" to "Yes, it will be coming out".
The only problem is plunking down that cash is by no way a guarantee that they won't screw it up.

All I can say is screw you too Ubisoft. Stop playing with my heart.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
squid5580 said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:

The only problem is plunking down that cash is by no way a guarantee that they won't screw it up.

I'd say they're onto something good with what was shown in the video. Although, you do still have a point. Given the naturally whiney nature of gamers, they'd throw a hissy fit if they invested into getting the game developed and it didn't play like something crafted by the hands of God Himself. So perhaps the gaming community is rather far from being able to invest into getting games developed.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
squid5580 said:
Hey, hey, hey. They published No More Heroes. I really can't completely hate them. But this is interesting... why would they abandon a game that has a nigh-cult following?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Amnestic said:
Resistance205 said:
Flamma Man said:
Resistance205 said:

Forget which one.
That stung, man. Seriously.

I don't think I could ever forgive Blizzard for that one.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
Wha-? Why the video then? How can you crush my hopes like this Ubi Soft? If another BG&E game becomes as likely as a serious Rayman game on the Wii, that'd be one less thing worth living for. I didn't think the original was a great game, but it was unique and charming enough to seem well worth persisting with.