Guild Wars 2 Hits 2 Million Sales

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Guild Wars 2 Hits 2 Million Sales

Guild Wars 2 has achieved sales success despite the hold on digital copies.

It became fairly obvious that subscription-free MMO, Guild Wars 2 was selling pretty well when NCSoft had to halt digital sales of the title while it beefed up its servers to handle the flood of new players. Total sales of the game hit 2 million shortly after digital sales were resumed on Monday. That being said, the actual player load doesn't seem to have increased too dramatically. The game is regularly hitting 400,000 concurrent players, the same number that was hit before it actually launched. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119319-Guild-Wars-2-Hit-400k-Concurrent-Users-Before-Launch]

"Reactions from around the world justified the time and care we put into developing Guild Wars 2 and making it into the game it is today," announced ArenaNet president Mike."And this is only the beginning. We're continually fine-tuning the game to deliver the polished experience that our players expect, and we're already working on new adventures and experiences to introduce into this truly dynamic online world."

For comparison: since its release, The Old Republic has sold around 2.4 million copies, and the western release of Aion clocked up nearly a million sales in its first few months on the market.

Guild Wars 2 has enjoyed a warm critical reception, [http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2] and even the notoriously picky game connoisseurs who pen Metacritic user reviews have given it a generous average of 8.4.

Source: GuildWars 2 PC [http://guildwars2pc.com/2012/guild-wars-2-daily-news-2-million-sales-and-counting/]

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Metacritic is to credible scores as Fox News is to news. To the main point however, nice, I hope to see Anet ride this early momentum and work on the game to make it a fully enjoyable experience.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Akexi said:
Metacritic is to credible scores as Fox News is to news. To the main point however, nice, I hope to see Anet ride this early momentum and work on the game to make it a fully enjoyable experience.

The game is very enjoyable right now. Sure, they're going to add in things and the game's world even has starter material to where they're going to add that stuff (Polymock Arena, for example).

As for the Metacritic score, I agree that it's issued. See, when IGN or Gamespot.com use a X/10 score system and the game gets a 9/10 score, on Metacritic that comes to 90/100. However, maybe one of those sites see it as 9/10, but on a 100 scale it's 96/100 or something like that. The scaling isn't proportional.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Good for you NCSoft and ArenaNet.

Now go and fix your servers with all the money you make.
Lag spikes have been horrible the past few days making the game partly unplayable at peak times.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I'll probably hang around until I 100% the world map. After that, if they don't think of a way to make the game more interesting, I don't expect I'll hang around for much longer. That is, assuming I don't get stolen away prematurely by Torchlight 2 or just go back to PSO2.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
VanQQisH said:
I'll probably hang around until I 100% the world map. After that, if they don't think of a way to make the game more interesting, I don't expect I'll hang around for much longer. That is, assuming I don't get stolen away prematurely by Torchlight 2 or just go back to PSO2.
PSO2 as in Phantasy Satar Online Episode 2? Wow. Didn't think I'd find another PSO fan EVER.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Deathfish15 said:
Akexi said:

The game is very enjoyable right now. Sure, they're going to add in things and the game's world even has starter material to where they're going to add that stuff (Polymock Arena, for example).

As for the Metacritic score, I agree that it's issued. See, when IGN or Gamespot.com use a X/10 score system and the game gets a 9/10 score, on Metacritic that comes to 90/100. However, maybe one of those sites see it as 9/10, but on a 100 scale it's 96/100 or something like that. The scaling isn't proportional.
Oh yeah, I love the game as well, but I still have some small gripes here and there. And yeah, I have always been adverse to giving a numeral rating to games as well as other media.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Nooners said:
VanQQisH said:
PSO2 as in Phantasy Satar Online Episode 2? Wow. Didn't think I'd find another PSO fan EVER.
Yeah, I play on Ship 4, but I only got to around level 15 before uni and work matters pulled me away. I plan to go back relatively shortly though, now that the hard yards at uni are over.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Nooners said:
VanQQisH said:
I think they mean Phantasy Star Online 2, not episode 2.

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
Sober Thal said:
Odd, I never thought of the people who review games on this website as 'notoriously picky game connoisseurs'. You guys seem kinda down to earth and laid back as far as I have read. Review wise anyways.

OT: Cheers for all the Guild Wars Fans! I hope you get some more uber servers soon.
I think he meant the user reviews as people tend to give zeros for very silly reasons. Also the whole meta bombing thing that occasionally occurs.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Akexi said:
I agree, but the site does provide links to most major reviews of the game, which is why I link to it.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Akexi said:

Or CNN or CNBC is to news, why does the one right wing station get slammed for "skewing" the news but all the other left wing DNC mouthpieces do not not? Just saying.

Good on guild wars 2 seem my roomate play it not immensely impressed. But must be doing something right.