Plants vs. Zombies Coming to XBLA

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Plants vs. Zombies Coming to XBLA

PopCap finally made official its plans to take Plants vs. Zombies to other platforms by revealing that the tower, or rather, lawn defense game will be heading to Xbox Live Arcade.

I really don't see any reason why, if you've been interested in PopCap's most excellent Plants vs. Zombies and own a PC or Mac that was built sometime in the last decade, you haven't played the game yet. But no matter. If you were waiting for Plants vs. Zombies to come to different platforms, PopCap has good news for you. Plants vs. Zombies is in development for XBLA, the company confirmed at the Casual Connect conference yesterday.

That's about as far as the good news goes, however. The company doesn't have "any other details" as far as basically anything else goes, PopCap's Cathy Orr told us. No release window, nothing about new content, nada. But I imagine that it'll be essentially the same game with maybe some added goodies - as long as you're getting the same PvZ experience, I can't see gamers being disappointed.

As for whether it'll make it to other platforms, well, that's an unknown, but I'm sure it'd make sense for the company. Speaking specifically for mobile phones, PopCap's Garth Chouteau said earlier [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93082-Plants-vs-Zombies-Going-to-More-Platforms] this month that he doesn't "think you'll see Plants vs. Zombies on a mobile phone. I think you may see it on the iPhone...some of our games, we would just say, 'you know? We could probably sell a million of these, but people aren't going to be happy with it." I can see that being true for phones in general, but this game would be absolutely perfect on the iPhone.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
I will buy this on day one. I'll continue to buy every PopCap game I can get my hands on until they run out of hilariously bad puns. Wall-nut FTW!

MasterSqueak

May 10, 2009
I'm going to get the theme stuck in my head all over again I wager.

There's a zombie, on the lawn...

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
Aac18 said:
MasterSqueak said:
we don't want zombies on our lawn....
I know your type, tall dark and dead
You want to eat all the petals off of my head
And then eat the brains of the one who planted me here "NOOOO!!"
I'm just a sunflower but see
Me power an entire infantry
You like the taste of brains
We don't like zombies

I used to play football
Road cones protect my head
I have a screen door shield
WE ARE THE UNDEAD

EDIT : lol

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Sweet I have been hoping for this game to hit XBLA. I don't like playing on my PC. I gotta sit in a chair (using the console I can lay back and relax) and I am not very good with the mouse. I have a 32 inch tv and a 19 inch monitor. So those are the reasons I haven't played it on the Mac or PC.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
*Sigh*

And us PC people still don't get the joys of NVG's...
Oh well, anyone who hasn't played it, it is an amazing game...

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Grrr the XBLA and it's list of awesome games... oh well, I still have flower, echochome, and Rag Doll Kung Fu I guess.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
this is great - ive been kind of holding off because i was hoping that it would come to 360 before i broke down and got it for my pc.

now i can play a great game, and get achievements too

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
This is really good news. Even though I have a pc and often use it, I still enjoy games on my xbox if possible. I'm pretty sure I will download this and actually play it. I usually don't download stuff from the arcade but plants killing zombies? WOW

Somian

May 29, 2008
squid5580 said:
Sweet I have been hoping for this game to hit XBLA. I don't like playing on my PC. I gotta sit in a chair (using the console I can lay back and relax) and I am not very good with the mouse. I have a 32 inch tv and a 19 inch monitor. So those are the reasons I haven't played it on the Mac or PC.
it's the developers fault that the game doesn't support gamepad, and you have to sit in a chair. I have a 40" screen and play almost all games on the PC sitting on the sofa.
However, i think that gamepad control for plants versus ZOmbies wouldn't be that good. I play pvz on a tablet PC sitting on a... sofa :D Nice Game.

However, the developers would have a hard time converting the game to the 360. They'll have to redo all the assets, since there's a minimum resolution of 1280x720 on the 360. Also, all the games have to work widescreen. Sad, that these rules don't apply to PC games, since many games are unplayable for me because I have no 4:3 monitor (i mean, there were still 4:3 games in 2007, when virtually no gamer was using CRT screens anymore).
Also, if they want to do 360 they'll have to add online leaderboards.

Anyway, if they port it to the XBOX360, i hope that they'll also put the widescreen support and leaderboards in the PC version.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I played the demo of it on steam, it was fun for a while but got bored before it ended.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
MasterSqueak said:
I think I infected something like 80 people with that song. I had it on my ipod at a party, and my ipod was hooked up to some speakers, and on random. Pretty much everyone was like "...The hell is this? ...And...Why is it so....catchy?" I had to give copy it for people like all night.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Somian said:
squid5580 said:
it's the developers fault that the game doesn't support gamepad, and you have to sit in a chair. I have a 40" screen and play almost all games on the PC sitting on the sofa.
However, i think that gamepad control for plants versus ZOmbies wouldn't be that good. I play pvz on a tablet PC sitting on a... sofa :D Nice Game.

However, the developers would have a hard time converting the game to the 360. They'll have to redo all the assets, since there's a minimum resolution of 1280x720 on the 360. Also, all the games have to work widescreen. Sad, that these rules don't apply to PC games, since many games are unplayable for me because I have no 4:3 monitor (i mean, there were still 4:3 games in 2007, when virtually no gamer was using CRT screens anymore).
Also, if they want to do 360 they'll have to add online leaderboards.

Anyway, if they port it to the XBOX360, i hope that they'll also put the widescreen support and leaderboards in the PC version.
Did I say it was anyone's fault? Or do you just find the very idea that not everyone enjoys playing the PC offends you fanboy sensibilities so much that you automatically assume that I blame anyone. If it comes to the XBL then I will buy it. If it doesn't then I won't. Just like any other game. I thought it was my choice to do such things.

And not every XBLA game needs leaderboards. If they put them in they put them in. If not I doubt anyone who is interested will say "no leaderboards, no purchase". I have never read anywhere that leaderboards were like achievements and every game had to have them under MS policy.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
This game is super click heavy. How is this going to work?

Ya know what, I hate to be that guy, but iPhone version plz!

Seriously, instapurchase if it happened.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
It's an cute game, but I found it way too easy. I died a few times, but generally I beat every level with over 1000 sun points (maybe just 500 for level 5-8), and I didn't think the difficulty got harder as the game progressed. The game got more complicated but not any more challenging. I didn't need to adjust my strategy often, and even when I did, it was a very mild change. Get two rows of sun flowers before a hoard comes... destroy everything. That's the rule for every single leve. If you do that, you'll spend the majority of any attack pulverizing the zombies.

But it's probably worth a purchase to play through once. And the puzzles seem fun so far.