Obsidian's Project Eternity Hits $1.4 Million in Three Days

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
Obsidian's Project Eternity Hits $1.4 Million in Three Days

The project team announces new stretch goals that unlock additional content and support for Mac and Linux.

It turns out that plenty of people are extremely interested in seeing Obsidian's Project Eternity become a reality. The Kickstarter project reached its base goal in just over 24 hours, and has already surpassed its first stretch goal, with five more funding targets and 29 days to go.

At the time of writing, just over 36,000 backers have pledged more than $1.4 million to the company's potential isometric party-based RPG, which will pay homage to classics such as Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment. The base game will include three races, five classes, and five companions; these are still in development, and the team is open to suggestions from backers. Obsidian is also taking into consideration requests to make the game DRM-free.

The project's recently announced stretch goals promise more content with every additional $200,000 pledged to the game. The first goal of $1.4 million, which has already been met, promises a new race, class, and companion. $1.6 million will result in a Mac version of the game and a new major storyline with "new quests, locations, NPCs, and unique loot".

Reaching the $1.8 million target adds another race, class, and companion, while $2 million will provide in-game Player Houses. Finally, $2.2 million will add Linux support and a new Region, Faction, and companion. No plans have been made for reaching $2.4 million just yet, but details will be "coming soon".

Obsidian Project Director Adam Brennecke expressed his gratitude to the contributors soon after the initial goal was reached, saying that "the last 30 hours have just been amazing and incredible, and we are just very overwhelmed and humbled here at Obsidian Entertainment."

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts]

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
If only the new Broken Sword game kickstarter got this much money....Oh well, I pledged $35 to this project, contributing with something at least.

[sub]Would've done more, but kinda pleded a lot more towards Broken Sword xd[/sub]

felbot

May 11, 2011
i really hope it gets to the 2.2 million mark, the thing i loved about new vegas was how the factions fought against each other and how they acted with each other.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
It's a real shame this game won't be out for at least a couple of years.

But, as soon as I get paid I'm going to chuck £40 into the pot I think.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I'm happy for them :) Publishers need to see more of this, so they realize that strategy games and traditional RPGs are still as viable today as they used to be. They need to know that shooters is NOT the only answer.

eltonborges

Apr 25, 2008
In fact, that was a bad surprise. Right now, the project will have DRM, and for what reason? DRM for the ones who are paying for it to even exist? When the game reach Steam and Desura it will have DRM, but consider it right now shows that they really think Kickstarter is only a way to get the money, they are not thinking about it as a new way to build a game and interact with the public interested. The game is already funded, but until I'm pretty sure it will be DRM-Free, I will not put my money in there. If I have to have DRM, I will wait for the Steam/Desura version.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
eltonborges said:
In fact, that was a bad surprise. Right now, the project will have DRM, and for what reason? DRM for the ones who are paying for it to even exist? When the game reach Steam and Desura it will have DRM, but consider it right now shows that they really think Kickstarter is only a way to get the money, they are not thinking about it as a new way to build a game and interact with the public interested. The game is already funded, but until I'm pretty sure it will be DRM-Free, I will not put my money in there. If I have to have DRM, I will wait for the Steam/Desura version.
No that's the point! The version at the moment is a Steam version, which is automatically DRMed. They're thinking about a way to release the game not on steam so it won't have DRM. It's only the fact that it's on Steam that gives it DRM

verindae

May 22, 2010
2.2mil for a linux version eh... colour me interested. Payday soon, time to contribute I think.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
eltonborges said:
Well, so far Steam is the DRM. As long as the game only has a Steam release it's loaded with DRM.

One solution would be to release it via gog.com (or GamersGate I guess) as a DRM free version. That way the people who, for whatever twisted reasons, refuse to buy other places than Steam, can get it there and the rest of us can get it on gog.com like the gods intended.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
I gave em 25 bucks.

Now I am going to watch this project with great interest.
Hopefully they pull it off.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
The wait for 2014 is gonna be loooooooooong. :/

But I'm happy nonetheless to see Obsidian do what they always wanted to do.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
It' sresult so far seem to mach Double Fine Adventure's so it will probably also end up with around 3,5 million.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Isometric, really? Well, as long as it keeps all the nostalgia fans happy I'm all for it. Maybe they'll stop complaining about modern RPGs.