Amnesia Studio Wants to Deepen Your Suffering

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Amnesia Studio Wants to Deepen Your Suffering

Frictional Games is putting a lot more thought into how to scare you stupid with its next in-house project.

Most people who played Amnesia: The Dark Descent [http://www.amazon.com/Amnesia-The-Dark-Descent-Pc/dp/B004FZ9822/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347988527&sr=8-1&keywords=Amnesia%3A+The+Dark+descent] will likely agree that it is both one of the best and one of the worst games they've ever played, and for the same reason: it was scary as hell. Not everyone reacted to it with the same enthusiasm, but as videogame horror experiences go, there are very few that can compare to Amnesia.

And yet according to Frictional Games co-founder Thomas Grip, the studio took a bit of a willy-nilly approach to building the terror. "The way we handled horror in Amnesia was that we just threw stuff in without thinking too much about why it was there," he said in an interview with Beefjack. "Our main goal was simply to build up a scary atmosphere, and whatever contributed to that was added."

The good news, or bad news depending on how you look at it, is that the studio is putting a lot more effort into tying things together in its next game. That's not Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115992-Frictional-Confirms-Amnesia-A-Machine-For-Pigs], the sequel being developed by thechineseroom, but a new project Frictional is handling itself.

"For our next game we want to have more thought behind everything that happens, and tie things together, so if the player thinks some more about it, it will take things a step further. So we want these extra layers to the gameplay that will really get below the skin of the player," he explained. "The small stuff we had in Amnesia felt like a good indicator that this could have excellent results, so it felt like the logical next step to take."

Oddly enough, during all the time I spent playing Amnesia I don't recall ever thinking that what it really needed was to be just a little bit scarier. I did enjoy uncovering bits and pieces of the backstory as I scuttled through Alexander's manse, however, and a deeper payoff for exploration would definitely be welcome. But more exploration means more exposure to the game's unpleasant elements - which is to say, more opportunities to have your pants scared off - so it's a bit of a double-edged blade. Which I suppose is the point.

Frictional's new game doesn't yet have a name, but is currently expected to be ready to drive you to the verge of tears sometime in 2014.

Source: Beefjack [http://beefjack.com/news/amnesia-devs-frictional-discuss-their-top-secret-new-game/]

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm one part delighted and one part not liking this, why.

Anways, basically what I'm getting out of this is that I need to be cuddling something while I'm playing the next one right?
Atrocious Joystick said:
Brett Bowling said:
If you preorder it, will it come with a an adult size security blanket?
Yes, but one in ten will have a hidden giant spider egg. For sake of total immersion.
I'm also assuming you will get a free hospital trip and stay if you get heart failure right?

Lectori Salutem

Apr 11, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I'm one part delighted and one part not liking this, why.

Anways, basically what I'm getting out of this is that I need to be cuddling something while I'm playing the next one right?
Atrocious Joystick said:
Brett Bowling said:
If you preorder it, will it come with a an adult size security blanket?
Yes, but one in ten will have a hidden giant spider egg. For sake of total immersion.
I'm also assuming you will get a free hospital trip and stay if you get heart failure right?
Only if one in ten doctors is an eldritch horror in disguise.

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
Bad news for gamers, but i hear this is fantastic news for the adult diapers industry

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I managed to play Amnesia for exactly 11 minutes. I didn't even make it down the first corridor bit, seriously. I had my surround sound headphones in, lights dimmed.... and just thought "Fuck this for a game of soldiers" and turned it off.

Had great fun watching the playthrough videos online complete with voice recordings of the players though.

Kiyeri

Mar 8, 2010
This makes me smile. So much. I love Amnesia, even if I've never actually finished it myself. It's just so different and pants-wettingly scary. To hear they're adding more scary is just fantastic (no... not Santa autocorrect, fantastic...)

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Really, they didn't think the scares were connected enough? You explored a decrepit mansion and the labryinth-like lower levels beneath it, finding out darker and more sinister facts about the nature of the house, its owner, and your own role in his schemes, all while having to plunge deeper and deeper into an increasingly hostile environment that makes you feel like your descending into hell itself.

And they think this WASN'T good quality stuff? This was one of the best genuine horror games I've played in years. I think it's commendable that they want to improve on what they've already done (everyone should strive as much) but they shouldn't feel like what was created was half-baked or poorly executed. It was a damn masterpiece.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
If they can top a game that made me cry in horror in the first few levels....more power to them?

Either way, it makes me excited to see what they can do.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I have to say I found it really hard to find the scare factor in Amnesia. I mean the 'losing your sanity' thing was more of an annoyance and what I ended up focusing on more than the scares in the environment and when I realised most of the scary elements were mainly jump scares or creepy noises I stopped flinching when they occurred. I also found the gaping monster guy to be a bit ridculous rather than frightening. Sure you can't kill him and can only hide in closets when he appears but the thought that I'm going to respawn in a few seconds after he scratchs my face and the 'spooky' words appear kinda kills the sense of horror. Also the water demon was more of an annoyance and frankly silly than scary when I can jump over him and dance a jig around him for laughs. I admitedly found it more entertaining to scare the people who were watching me play by suddenly flinging a suit of armour's helmet into a wall whilst yelling "What was that!". Then laughing as they realised they had gotten scared and all worked up over nothing. So I guess making it more scary will be a good thing but hopefully they'll make the monster react to being smacked in the face with the book or chair that I'm swinging at them so that it's little bit more humourous. There is only so many times when sticking a book into the mouth of the gaping guy can be funny.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Nile McMorrow said:
I have to say I found it really hard to find the scare factor in Amnesia. I mean the 'losing your sanity' thing was more of an annoyance and what I ended up focusing on more than the scares in the environment and when I realised most of the scary elements were mainly jump scares or creepy noises I stopped flinching when they occurred. I also found the gaping monster guy to be a bit ridculous rather than frightening. Sure you can't kill him and can only hide in closets when he appears but the thought that I'm going to respawn in a few seconds after he scratchs my face and the 'spooky' words appear kinda kills the sense of horror. Also the water demon was more of an annoyance and frankly silly than scary when I can jump over him and dance a jig around him for laughs. I admitedly found it more entertaining to scare the people who were watching me play by suddenly flinging a suit of armour's helmet into a wall whilst yelling "What was that!". Then laughing as they realised they had gotten scared and all worked up over nothing. So I guess making it more scary will be a good thing but hopefully they'll make the monster react to being smacked in the face with the book or chair that I'm swinging at them so that it's little bit more humourous. There is only so many times when sticking a book into the mouth of the gaping guy can be funny.
They're not going to add humorous animations. That would be opposite of the point.

Also, seeing how they attacked you with jump scares (lots of them), perilous situations (the water monster, darkness chases, etc.), twisted environment (oh so much), excellent sound design, constant undercurrent of danger (the sanity/light), horrific implications (the vices, the empty cells, the child's tunnel, etc.), horrific not-implied bits (the screams in the torture rooms, the wonderful descriptions, the sounds, the story), upsetting atmosphere (the Choir area, pretty much the entire game in increasing amounts as you go) and truly dangerous enemies (really), I don't understand what you WOULD find scary. I suppose they could make death "more bad", but I can extrapolate and assume you'd write them off as "annoyances", and that shouldn't be the only scary part.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
I own Amnesia and I can't get through it. Not because it's too scary, but because it's frankly kind of boring.

I'm glad they're making the horror more relevant, because once you get to the Prison Block where I am, it's just procedure. You hear the "rrrugh" and know that you should turn around and go crouch in a dark corner for 30 seconds before finding the next quest item.

It's too formulaic for me, so I'm glad they're changing it up. I'd like to know the story of Amnesia but I can't finish it.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
lacktheknack said:
They're not going to add humorous animations. That would be opposite of the point.

Also, seeing how they attacked you with jump scares (lots of them), perilous situations (the water monster, darkness chases, etc.), twisted environment (oh so much), excellent sound design, constant undercurrent of danger (the sanity/light), horrific implications (the vices, the empty cells, the child's tunnel, etc.), horrific not-implied bits (the screams in the torture rooms, the wonderful descriptions, the sounds, the story), upsetting atmosphere (the Choir area, pretty much the entire game in increasing amounts as you go) and truly dangerous enemies (really), I don't understand what you WOULD find scary. I suppose they could make death "more bad", but I can extrapolate and assume you'd write them off as "annoyances", and that shouldn't be the only scary part.
Okay maybe humourous wasn't such a great word to use. How about satisfying? I mean if the monsters are meant to be 'real' and I'm smacking one over the head with a chair that I'm holding I expect it to react at least rather than keep it's usual stance and gurgle at me. I wouldn't write off a worse death as an annoyance, I mean I'm legitimately scared of dying in Dark Souls because of how it works so if they get the essence of that sort of death I'd be scared of dying in the new game they mentioned. Oh and 'drowning in water' deaths freak me the hell out but I don't remember ever being faced with any in Amnesia. Maybe I should load the game back up to mess around with glitching glass bottles into tables for a bit...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Nile McMorrow said:
lacktheknack said:

Okay maybe humourous wasn't such a great word to use. How about satisfying? I mean if the monsters are meant to be 'real' and I'm smacking one over the head with a chair that I'm holding I expect it to react at least rather than keep it's usual stance and gurgle at me. I wouldn't write off a worse death as an annoyance, I mean I'm legitimately scared of dying in Dark Souls because of how it works so if they get the essence of that sort of death I'd be scared of dying in the new game they mentioned. Oh and 'drowning in water' deaths freak me the hell out but I don't remember ever being faced with any in Amnesia. Maybe I should load the game back up to mess around with glitching glass bottles into tables for a bit...
What you're saying is that the new Amnesia should have this in it?

<youtube=IBpWn0j8A-0>

(I'm a bad person.)