Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Movie Is Actually Happening

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Movie Is Actually Happening

The director of Super and Slither will be bringing the quirky space opera story to the silver screen.

Superheroes are not exactly run-of-the-mill normal characters. You've got your uber-patriot jumped up on super serum in Captain America, your genius doctor who turns into a massive green monster when he's mad and you've got your super-rich playboy genius with a weird power source keeping him alive, and that's just some of the cast of the Avengers. But the cast of the Guardians of the Galaxy is pretty out there: there's a raccoon, a tree and an insect, to name a few. And after rumors of a film adaptation building on the success of Avengers and an official announcement at San Diego Comic Con this past year, James Gunn announced via his Facebook page today that he is on board to direct the film adaptation.

James Gunn previously directed Slither and Super and he's working directly with Joss Whedon on adapting the Guardians so that it matches up in line with the Marvel film continuity.

"Last night I got the go-ahead from [Marvel Studios' Producer] Kevin Feige to let you all know that, yes, indeed, I am rewriting and directing Guardians of the Galaxy," Gunn said. "As a lifelong lover of Marvel comics, space epics, AND raccoons, this is the movie I've been waiting to make since I was nine years old."

Gunn said the process is still in its earliest stage but he accepted the challenge with gusto. "Kevin, Joss, and all the folks at Marvel have been amazing collaborators so far, and we're committed to bringing you something majestic, beautiful, and unique. I am incredibly excited," he gushed.

For those of you unsure of exactly who the Guardians of the Galaxy are, the motley group of heroes includes Bug, Drax the Destroyer, Gamora, Rocket Raccoon, and Star-Lord in the recent 2008 reboot of the story. Their main antagonist is Thanos, who you might remember from the credit sequence in Whedon's Avengers earlier this year. Guardians of the Galaxy is planned for an August 2014 release, and Thanos might end up being the tie-in to that larger story.

In any case, as a comics-outsider who is fascinated by the lore of the Marvel Universe, I'm excited to receive more of that information in movie-form rather than having to chase down spare copies of every comic made to man. Or get trapped in an endless Wikipedia feedback loop ...

Source: Facebook [http://www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts/10151155307959570]

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009

This is a thing, apparently?

A raccoon, a tree, and an insect. That sounds like the beginning of a bad joke. And this is going to share continuity with the likes of Downing Jr.'s Tony Stark?

Um... OK, but... wow... just.. wow....

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
The success/failure of this movie could have a large impact on the film industry; every movie does, really, but if something this off-the-wall can make money, more weird/crazy/fun movies will get produced
So let's not pull a Scott Pilgrim here & actually show up this time, k guys?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
This sounds good and all but why must I be denied my Doctor Strange movie? The time they take to make this movie is time and money that could be used for Doctor Strange. Why do you hate me Marvel? WHY!?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I'd LOVE to see this movie do as well as Thor, or Captain America.

Maybe THEN we'd get a movie with Ms Marvel or something.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I love how many people condemn some of the weirder comic book stuff right off the bat. Guardians of the Galaxy is one of the best books Marvel has published in the last decade. Will it translate to the silver screen? I fucking hope so.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
So THAT'S why Rocket Raccoon and Nova was in UMVC3!
Oh Mahvel Baybee, you so crazy!
Nova wasn't a member of the GOTG, they just tend to team up for the last couple of non-Earth based big events along with a bunch of other space characters like Galactus, Surfer, Ronan, Gladiator, etc. So it's pretty unlikely that he'll be in this movie. Not that I would complain if he was made a member, that would be sweet and to put it nicely, their roster could use the extra name recognition.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Awesome! Hope they keep Rocket Raccoon's Cockney Accent from UMvC3!
Will admit, I'm not too familar with Guardians of The Galaxy but a movie, let alone a Marvel one, featuring a Gun-toting Raccoon who's an active member of the team who's not just there to appeal to the kiddies has got to be worth checking out!

Gizmo1990 said:
This sounds good and all but why must I be denied my Doctor Strange movie? The time they take to make this movie is time and money that could be used for Doctor Strange. Why do you hate me Marvel? WHY!?
From what I've heard the second Thor movie is going to have ties with Doctor Strange.
It's going under the title Thor: The Dark World so there's a good chance that the villain may be Dormammu

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Tiamattt said:
Diablo1099 said:
Nova wasn't a member of the GOTG, they just tend to team up for the last couple of non-Earth based big events along with a bunch of other space characters like Galactus, Surfer, Ronan, Gladiator, etc. So it's pretty unlikely that he'll be in this movie. Not that I would complain if he was made a member, that would be sweet and to put it nicely, their roster could use the extra name recognition.
Really? Huh, just the Diologue between the two said otherwise.
Nova (Win quote against RR) said:
"Don't worry, I'll tell the other Guardians you put up a good fight. I'll Lie."
Still, those two strange choices make more sense now.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
In regards to Thanos I hope they do Mistress Death well. Since they probably can have her actually be the embodiment of death I am hoping they have her be the focus of a cult which claims she is and make the truth of her origins and nature very unclear

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Baron von Blitztank said:
Awesome! Hope they keep Rocket Raccoon's Cockney Accent from UMvC3!
Will admit, I'm not too familar with Guardians of The Galaxy but a movie, let alone a Marvel one, featuring a Gun-toting Raccoon who's an active member of the team who's not just there to appeal to the kiddies has got to be worth checking out!

Gizmo1990 said:
From what I've heard the second Thor movie is going to have ties with Doctor Strange.
It's going under the title Thor: The Dark World so there's a good chance that the villain may be Dormammu
You good sir and/or madam have just made my day.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
Tiamattt said:
Diablo1099 said:
Really? Huh, just the Diologue between the two said otherwise.
Nova (Win quote against RR) said:
"Don't worry, I'll tell the other Guardians you put up a good fight. I'll Lie."
Still, those two strange choices make more sense now.
Like I said they worked together quite a bit, and Nova known most of the roster for a long time. But that's different from being on the same team. And you can have Spiderman say that line while replacing the word "Guardian" with "X-men" when he beats Wolverine/Storm/Phoenix and it would still work just as well.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Tiamattt said:
Like I said they worked together quite a bit, and Nova known most of the roster for a long time. But that's different from being on the same team. For example you can have Spiderman say that line while replacing the word "Guardian" with "X-men" when he beats Wolverine/Storm/Phoenix and it would still work just as well.
Alright, fair enough, just note I've never heard of these 2 before UMVC3.
But now that I do, this movie has got my interest.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I just did a spit take and now have to clean my monitor... and Joss is involved in the script work. I'm already in the theater.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
First off, if you haven't, track down Marvel's "Annihilation" epic. It's available in graphic novel form, and it's possibly the best comic stories Marvel has told in nearly 10 years, and it took C-list heroes like Starlord, Nova, and Drax and turned them into triple-A heroes.

Also, yeah, let's support this. No "Scott Pilgrim" no-shows for this, please. The Guardians of the Galaxy may not have the name recognition of Spider-man, but they're some of the greatest heroes Marvel has had, and if the movie does them justice, they can have all my money. *fingers crossed*