Sony's New Puppet Game Puts You on The Moon

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Sony's New Puppet Game Puts You on The Moon

Puppeteer is definitely one for the Brothers Grimm fanboys out there.

The Moon Bear King wants your soul, and to get it back you'll have to make a deal with a Witch to steal the King's Calibrus scissors in this new PlayStation IP. This action platformer has a slice of Little Big Planet running through it, but it reminded me not a little of the Brothers Grimm. Or at least, the Brothers Grimm as seen through the eyes of Jim Henson. [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092383/]

You play as Kutaro, one of the unfortunate children whose soul - and therefore head - ends up in the Moon Bear King's belly. This enables one of the game's feature mechanics: head switching. You can change your head any time you choose and each has special powers; but lose a head, and you lose a life. The addition of a lives mechanic may not please everyone [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/articles/Yahtzee%20Croshaw], but attached to the head gimmick a lives system might add to the fun this time rather than take it away.

No word on a release date for this PS3 title, as they're still putting Puppeteer together. In fact, they haven't even got voice actors yet. "I apologize for the voices in the trailer," said Art Director Gavin Moore on the PlayStation blog. "It's a little embarrassing because all of the voices are done by me, apart from the narrator." They're due to start casting in London soon, though Moore has asked fans who would like him to play the Witch to say so in this comments thread. [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/19/tgs-2012-watch-the-new-puppeteer-trailer/] Personally I liked all the voices in this one, but who am I to argue with an Art Director?

Source: PlayStation [http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/puppeteer-ps3.html]

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
It certainly has a LBP vibe going on with it. Which will probably benefit it greatly on the PS3. It will sell heavily to LBP fans who are miffed that Media Molecules new game is only for the already near death PSVita. (same issue as Katamari fans.)

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
I liked the voices. The fact that they are all by the same guy makes the "puppeteer" thing more realistic. There's usually only one or two guys pulling the strings, so it really adds credibility. They should keep it.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
This looks like the single weirdest, most darn fun game ever. Seriously the Voices sound fantastic already and they haven't even got the voice actors. The story as well, strangest darn thing ever, but I would play the hell out of this game,

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
F said:
This looks like the single weirdest, most darn fun game ever. Seriously the Voices sound fantastic already and they haven't even got the voice actors. The story as well, strangest darn thing ever, but I would play the hell out of this game,
Wait, what? Of course they have voice actors if there is voice in the game. I don't think Vocaloid software or Microsoft Sam could pull of that kind of range.

OT: This is one of my most anticipated games at the moment, it has style and flare and is something original in a sea of sequels and cash-ins. This will be a day one buy for me.

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
This looks fucking spectacular. I wish I had a PS3. Really original, and the execution looks perfect.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
I haven't seen such a dynamic, colorful game world since Yoshi's Island! This game looks like an instant classic. Don't see the point of voice actors, though - Gavin does a great job on his own, and it really is a shame to ignore such talent!
Furrama said:
I liked the voices. The fact that they are all by the same guy makes the "puppeteer" thing more realistic. There's usually only one or two guys pulling the strings, so it really adds credibility. They should keep it.
And, there's this to consider. Well put, Furrama!

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
VanQQisH said:
F said:
Wait, what? Of course they have voice actors if there is voice in the game. I don't think Vocaloid software or Microsoft Sam could pull of that kind of range.
*Ahem*

Karloff said:
In fact, they haven't even got voice actors yet. "I apologize for the voices in the trailer," said Art Director Gavin Moore on the PlayStation blog. "It's a little embarrassing because all of the voices are done by me, apart from the narrator." They're due to start casting in London soon.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
F said:
*Ahem*
In fact, they haven't even got voice actors yet. "I apologize for the voices in the trailer," said Art Director Gavin Moore on the PlayStation blog. "It's a little embarrassing because all of the voices are done by me, apart from the narrator." They're due to start casting in London soon.
Oh, you're right. How did I miss that? The voicing in the trailer sounds spectacular, so I'm sure you can forgive me for missing that (Even if it's written right there. Shame.).
I certainly hope whatever voice actors they hire can manage to sound as fantastic as that trailer. The voice was one of the main points that drew me into this game in the first place. And like others have said, having the voice done by one man adds to the whole Puppeteer atmosphere. Pretty cool touch if they stick with it.