Analog Stick Add-On Pushes 3DS XL to XXL

JoshV

Mar 20, 2009
Analog Stick Add-On Pushes 3DS XL to XXL

The XL version of the Circle Pad Pro looks a lot like the original 3DS iteration - and yes, it will make your 3DS XL even bigger.

Several months ago, Nintendo announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118154-Dual-Analog-Control-Coming-to-3DS-XL] that its Circle Pad Pro, which adds an additional thumb-stick to the 3DS, would be released for the 3DS XL as well. Today, the first image of the reworked peripheral surfaced on Nintendo's Japanese website. In the end, it doesn't look very dissimilar from the 3DS version of the Circle Pad Pro.

Details are still scant on the pricing of the peripheral or, for that matter, when it will actually be released. In fact, they haven't even explicitly stated that it will be released outside of Japan, but given that the original Circle Pad Pro made its way across the Pacific, it's probably a safe bet that we'll see it in stores here soon enough.

The desire for dual-analog controls on the 3DS is understandable, but with a peripheral, developers need to support it too. And some developers don't: Take Kid Icarus Uprising developer Masahiro Sakurai, who said that [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117078-Nintendo-Says-Youre-Playing-Kid-Icarus-Uprising-Wrong] "Providing support for independent analog control was something that was technically impossible." It does make you wonder just how useful a peripheral like this might be.

But on the other hand, you get to make your 3DS XL take up even more space!

Source and Image: Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardware/accessories/index.html]

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Ya know, after looking at that thing, I'm having a hard time taking the 3DS seriously, and I own one.

That big beast does remind me of the Sega handheld though.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
I'm happy to see Nintendo is continuing Sega's tradition of making a portable game system that you can use to either defend yourself from an attack or use as a brick substitute should a riot break out suddenly and you're unprepared.

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
I was really hoping that they'd go in a different direction with the 3ds like they did with the ds lite. Sometimes bigger just isn't better. :-(

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Looks like you need a carry strap round your neck just to hold the damn thing now!

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
I just have to say, sure it sacrifices portability, but personally, I think that looks awesome. It looks like the perfect size for my hands and looks like the heft would feel great.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
snekadid said:
I'm happy to see Nintendo is continuing Sega's tradition of making a portable game system that you can use to either defend yourself from an attack or use as a brick substitute should a riot break out suddenly and you're unprepared.
LMAO that's funny.

Nintendo trying to make up for a poor design flaw now because they rushed the 3DS is absurd, if I'm going to carry around this thing I might as well carry around my laptop.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011

That's it! I can't Nintendo seriously anymore! Say whatever you want, big N fanboys. I just can't. I give up! I'm out! That's it!

*drops mic*

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Oh wow. That's absolutely ridiculous. Look at all that unused space below the XYAB keys! And they go for this in stead. Oh Nintendo, do you WANT me to laugh at you? Because I'm laughing at you right now!

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
Well, it is just an add-on right? Hopefully games won't be designed around it so that it can remain an optional peripheral. Until developers build games around this thing, I wouldn't give it so much flak.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Anoni Mus said:
Ignorants

Ignorants everywhere.

There's a reason why Nintendo hasn't release the 3DS XL with the second analog stick.
They really couldn't even if they wanted to. If they released a model with a second stick it would mean they'd have to completely change the architecture of the 3DS which would change how people program for it. It would create a situation where certain 3DS games were unplayable on the older versions since they'd be missing a key input device. Basically saying "get the new edition or GTFO."

This is really just showing lack of fore-sight or common sense for Nintendo. If they wanted a console with two sticks, they should have made one. Also we should have developers making games that can work with what's provided, not what they wish was there.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Game Gear flashbacks are coming... at least this thing doesn't need 6 AA batteries that lasted for 3 hours or less.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Yeah no. I'll just stick with my 3DS that I got before it's price drop, thank you very much Nintendo. That thing just looks too big!

"Say, did you just buy a Nintendo Handheld, or are you just happy to see me?"