Devil May Cry PC Port Is Going to Take Some Time

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Devil May Cry PC Port Is Going to Take Some Time

Working out DmC's kinks on PC may take some time.

If popular forum chatter is to be believed, there is hardly a single person looking forward to DmC: Devil May Cry, currently slated to launch on 360 and PS3 in January 2013. Granted, you can't always believe everything you read in forums, as Capcom is well on its way to releasing a PC port for Dante's upcoming adventure. Capcom has assigned adaptation duties to QLOC, a Polish studio that specializes in QA and porting duties for big publishers. Although the port appears to be in good hands, don't expect it right away; technical difficulties will prevent the PC DmC from launching contemporaneously with its console brethren.

"I can't give you a day and date," says Alex Jones, a producer at Capcom. "Because it's being developed out of house by a different developer from Ninja Theory there are logistical things involved. But the plan is to get it out shortly after the ship date for the console version." QLOC has worked on a number of Capcom titles before, including Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition and Street Fighter x Tekken, and earned glowing praise from Capcom for its work. Even if the port is not instantaneous, Capcom maintains that it will maintain the console DmC's quality. However, there has been no word yet on whether the PC port will offer any features to distinguish itself, such as enhanced framerate or higher graphical settings.

Jones is very clear about one thing, however: Virgil, Dante's brother, will not be a playable character this time around. "I don't want to be coy about that and have people think they're getting one thing when they're getting another," he explains. Regardless of platform, it seems that Dante will have to tackle his new adventure alone. That shouldn't be a problem for any experienced demon hunter, though.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-20-devil-may-cry-pc-port-outsourced-due-after-console-versions]

Rahuzero

Jul 22, 2011
I hope this game burns. I hate that even if I boycott it people will still buy it. Please people, don't buy this DMC knockoff.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
Outsourcing a Devil May Cry game?

Do you guys remember the last time you did that?

Nothing good can come out of this.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I haven't been paying any attention to this game. Previous botched PC port jobs aside, why is it that people don't want this to see the light of day?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
lancar said:
I haven't been paying any attention to this game. Previous botched PC port jobs aside, why is it that people don't want this to see the light of day?
I don't undersand the negativity of Gamers sometimes, just be happy bros

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
I don't think outsourcing the porting is such a bad idea, especially when the original company is really crap at porting, i mean its not like this other game is being left in charge of designing the game, so no deus ex weird boss/game inconsistencies haha, anyway really doesn't effect me im after the 360 version hah

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
TizzytheTormentor said:
Rahuzero said:
I hope this game burns. I hate that even if I boycott it people will still buy it. Please people, don't buy this DMC knockoff.
Why? From the trailers, the gameplay looks fun as hell! Sword turning into a whip/axe/scythe! The guns look f**king bad-ass!
Let me guess, is it the hair? Or is it the other things? I am not too happy with the changes myself but considering this is an alternate continuity. Give it a chance man.

This is probably a one off, I don't think it will hamper the development of an actual Devil May Cry sequel.
They only hate it because of the changes to Dante. It could have the best gameplay of this whole generation, but they'll still burn it for that one petty reason.

BECAUSE DANTE WAS ALWAYS SO CONSISTENT BETWEEN GAMES, RIGHT? LOL /sarcasm.

Kyrinn

May 10, 2011
GenGenners said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Rahuzero said:
Why? From the trailers, the gameplay looks fun as hell! Sword turning into a whip/axe/scythe! The guns look f**king bad-ass!
Let me guess, is it the hair? Or is it the other things? I am not too happy with the changes myself but considering this is an alternate continuity. Give it a chance man.

This is probably a one off, I don't think it will hamper the development of an actual Devil May Cry sequel.
They only hate it because of the changes to Dante. It could have the best gameplay of this whole generation, but they'll still burn it for that one petty reason.

Thanks for speaking for us, we appreciate it. I mean I do hate the new Dante, but because he looks like he belongs in a Twillight movie rather than an action game. I just don't find the new design aesthetically pleasing.

Honestly I'd be more than a little worried if they gameplay didn't look awesome. That's pretty much the entire premise of the series. Stylized fighting with badass weapons, killing enemies in awesome ways. I mean DMC4 looked AMAZING but ended up being completely mediocre (subjective, I'm sure some people loved it).

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
In terms of the game itself, while I'm not a fan of Dante's new look, the trailer that consists of Dante and a boss saying "Fuck you!" back and forth to each other worries me more. Do they honestly think that cluster f-bombs come across as anything other than immature?

As for the port we'll see when it's released, or even if it's worth the port depending on the game itself.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
It seems like nobody just can't forget the dark days of Capcom outsourcing their games to Ubisoft. If it's the same studio that made the SSFIV:AE and SFxT ports, then I can honestly feel relieved that it will be a great port and even with all the bells and whistles like 60 fps and some more.

Also, DMC 4's port definitely kicked ass and it looked and ran better on the PC compared to it's console version. Just get over it people, Capcom definitely learned their lesson since their days of outsourcing their games to Ubisoft.

G32420NL

Jul 3, 2012
SupahGamuh said:
It seems like nobody just can't forget the dark days of Capcom outsourcing their games to Ubisoft. If it's the same studio that made the SSFIV:AE and SFxT ports, then I can honestly feel relieved that it will be a great port and even with all the bells and whistles like 60 fps and some more.

Just get over it people, Capcom definitely learned their lesson since their days of outsourcing their games to Ubisoft.
i'm with this guy, The port for DMC 4 was awesome imo, lots of settings, benchmarking tool and great performance while delivering nice visuals.
But more importantly the keyboard/mouse controls where handeled nicely.
And the exact same thing for resident evil 5.

As for the delay itself, i'm used to games coming out later on the pc, i thinks it's great if it means we get an optimised product for it.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
No good comes from sending your game out of house.
That's not even strictly true with traditionally PC-focused developers. The PC version of Mass Effect 1 was better than the PC version of ME2 (mapping 14 commands to a single key, seriously?), and the first one was done by a porting house while the second one was done by BioWare themselves. If it's really the same people who made SSF4AE it should be fine. That was arguably better than the console versions, aside from having GFWL. Speaking of which, I wish Capcom would stop using crap like GFWL on all their recent games and ruining even their good ports...

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
GenGenners said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Rahuzero said:

30 FPS on console (previous games were 60)
Considerably less enemies on screen
Focus on aerial combat rather than more traditional ground based attacks
Devil trigger is now more of a chain killing attack rather than a straight power up that keeps you able to do what you want
Writing is... well, from what we've seen so far, it's bad. Especially Dante's one liners and comebacks and the such.

On top of the utter mauling they've done to Dante, I can understand some of the rage.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
lancar said:
The writing is truly awful, it's like the dialogue was written by a 7 year old, then ran through a computer that used 'search and replace' to switch out 'the' with 'fuck'.