Captain Seeks Crew for Steampunk Dirigible Combat

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Captain Seeks Crew for Steampunk Dirigible Combat

Guns of Icarus has you exploring a steampunk post-apocalypse world in your dirigible - but beware pirates!

Steampunk and co-op enthusiasts rejoice, for Guns of Icarus Online has something to tickle your fancy: dirigible versus dirigible combat, far up in the skies above a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Beat pirates off with hooks, flamethrowers and the mysterious but powerful Tesla weapon ... but bear in mind it's a looooong way down and parachutes don't seem to be on the equipment list, so get them before they get you. You don't want to end up on the ground; they don't call it the Burnt Earth for nothing.

Guns of Icarus is team-based co-op, with three character classes: Captain, Gunner and Engineer. The Captain steers the ship, the gunner keeps enemies at bay and the engineer - not unlike the Healer in an MMO raid - is the one who'll get blamed when it all goes wrong. You take your ship and crew through the wastes to perform missions, perhaps defending (or attacking) a town, or collecting water for your people. Pirates abound, as do other players, and your best bet for making sure the job gets done is shooting faster and more accurately than the other fella.

Though the game may resemble an MMO, this is actually an always-online co-op with some open world tropes. "We set out to innovate and make a game that doesn't fit into any established genres," says the developer Muse Games' FAQ. "The flipside of that is, we don't quite know what to call it!" However there will be no subscription fee, just a one-off retail purchase with in-game monetization elements.

Guns of Icarus will launch October 29th. Preorders can be had via Muse Games' site [http://store.steampowered.com/app/209080/?snr=1_7_suggest__13].

Source: Guns of Icarus [http://gunsoficarus.com/]

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I've had this game on my Steam wishlist for ages and I'm still feeling fantastic about it.

[email protected]

Jun 18, 2012
"Beat pirates off with hooks"
Kinky. :p

but seriously. This looks like the kind of zepplin-blasting romp I've always wanted to play.

Marohen

Jun 30, 2009
I like the blend of areal combat and first-person mechanics, if anything. It'll be interesting to see the extent of customization and player expression through design choice.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I will forever curse you, PC games and stuff! For my computer would explode if I ever try to play one of your cool games! RAAAAGHZZZWSHBJN!

*Sigh/Continues playing Dragon Age on the PS3*

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
This seems pretty interesting, are the dirigibles customisable? Either way I like how this is looking.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
It's nice to see that steampunk is becoming a more common setting. Love those airships!

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I dunno- the reliance on others working as a proper team for fun multiplayer really kills it for me. It might have grabbed me as a singleplayer game with some kind of story.

Oh well. Back to Crimson Skies.