Borderlands 2 Lifts Artist's Work Without Permission

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Borderlands 2 Lifts Artist's Work Without Permission

English artist Olly Moss says he's disappointed, but not upset, that Gearbox made unauthorized use of his work in Borderlands 2.

Borderlands 2 came out a few days ago to pretty solid acclaim, but one person who wasn't entirely thrilled with it is Olly Moss, a U.K.-based artist whose work graces, among other things, the cover of the Resistance 3 box. Thanks to a sharp-eyed fan on Twitter, he discovered yesterday that an image contained in the Borderlands 2 retail package makes use of one of his works, but it was used without permission.

A side-by-side image of Moss' work, an Empire Strikes Back poster, with the image in the Borderlands 2 packaging demonstrates that they're stylistically similar, but more significantly that the jagged ridge in the background is clearly a direct lift from the original. Moss said on Twitter that he was disappointed by the situation, not because of the swipe but because he's a big Gearbox fan and "would have jumped at the opportunity to work with them."

Disappointment aside, however, Moss ruled out pursuing the matter further and asked his followers to let it slide. "Legal action? Chill out. It's not a big deal. Just some insert art. Still, would have done it myself if they'd asked. Love their work," he wrote in a later tweet.

"Haha! This whole thing is so far from a big deal," he added. "I wish I'd never even said anything."

Nonetheless, Gearbox co-founder and CEO Randy Pitchford reached out to Moss when he became aware of the situation and promised that heads would roll. "Check your email. We should be working together to do it right and legit," Pitchford wrote. "You're amazing. Inspiration is part of art and you've inspired us. But the bit that was lifted is uncool, so... consequences."

What those consequences may be was left unsaid, but I sure wouldn't want to be the guy who put together that illustration. Props to Moss for being so cool about what is unquestionably an uncool situation, though; you can attract more flies with honey than by yelling on the internet, as the saying goes, and maybe this will end up paying off for him in the end.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/ollymoss]

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
"...you can attract more flies with honey than by yelling on the internet..."

This is the internet, if you can attract the flies, they'll do the yelling for you...

But still, cool of Gearbox to own up to it and hopefully make things right.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
This is how you properly deal with someone in your studio using someone else's work without permission/with permission but being lazy.

For an example of what not to do, see Bioware>Mass Effect 3>Tali and the Ending.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Props to the guy for being cool about it. A typical artist these days would be chomping at the bit for a copyright lawsuit and an easy payday.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
The only similarity I can see is that little ridge in the middle... is that really infringement? It's only a tiny portion of the original picture.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Ok, good. Mature, civil reactions to conflict. Let's keep this going, game culture :)
(I beg in inevitable disappointment)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Just doesn't look similar enough for there to be a comparison.
I don't know. The ridge looks identical to me.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Wow, who would've thought that somebody would've acted in a mature and sensible way regarding copyright issues and better yet, that the infringing part is taking full responsibility, even if it wasn't asked for it.

Mad props on both parts.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Props to both Moss and Gearbox in handling the situation.
Talking it over like civilized human beings and all ... who'd have thought?

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Jandau said:
But still, cool of Gearbox to own up to it and hopefully make things right.
Seriously. A lot of companies would have been like, "What? They're totally different, my lawyer says so. Now stop slandering us before I sue you."

It's nice to see some class on both sides of this issue.

You know, I was going to wait for a price drop/Steam sale before getting Borderlands 2, but I think I'll do it now just because Randy Pitchford is apparently a really cool guy and deserves all of my money.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I kept reading through the article, waiting for a cause to unleash rage, and it never came. A small portion of my faith in humanity has now been restored. That's somewhat of a surprise.

coil

Apr 5, 2007
There's a good chance the box art was commissioned from an external art house, so Gearbox themselves might not be the (direct) thieves in this case. But whoever it is, they're probably having a very bad day.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Reasonable adults talking out their differences? I was hoping for crazed fan-rage and people defending Gearbox with their mothers lives but I guess this is ok.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Wait, someone acted reasonably to a legitimate yoink? Whoa. And, you're telling me the offending party is acting responsibly as well?

Major props to both parties. Way to be awesome.