59: Learning The Gaming Way

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
"When I first heard of Dr. Kawashima's Brain Age, I wrote it off as a clever marketing ploy. I mean, come on - a videogame that helps your brain do anything other than plot violent rampages in schools? Ridiculous. We all know that videogames were created to subvert children." Shawn Williams describes how he and his wife learned to live with her multiple sclerosis, helped, in large part, by a video game in "Learning The Gaming Way."
Learning The Gaming Way

DrRosenRosen

Aug 15, 2006
Thanks, Shawn, for documenting your personal and inspiring stories for the Escapist. If it's something you feel ok sharing publicly, what has been your doctor's reaction to Becky's cognitive improvements from a medical perspective? Anything except "You're on the right track. Keep it up!"?

KwipCantLogin

Aug 23, 2006
DrRosenRosen said:
If it's something you feel ok sharing publicly, what has been your doctor's reaction to Becky's cognitive improvements from a medical perspective?
He's interested in Brain Age and wants to see it for himself. But, ah, that would mean depriving Becky AND I of it - and although I might be able to get her to part with the cart by switching it out for Big Brain Academy, trying to take our lone DS might result in severe biting, something I'm certainly not going to brave.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Speaking of senators, we've already forwarded along some of these articles (especially Shawn's) to the ESA and other parties that might be interested, and would encourage anyone else to do the same. For the industry, stories of the good that games do are rare, and we need to take advantage of them when we can.

Lara Crigger

Jul 11, 2006
Congrats on your wife's progress! It's always heartening to be reminded that a diagnosis doesn't have to be a sentence. Have you two tried any of the other 'mind' oriented DS games, like Big Brain Academy or the Sudoku collection that just came out?

And for goodness sake, it's about time the two of you sprung for another DS!

Ajar

Aug 21, 2006
Heartwarming. :) After reading this article and the Australian article linked in the text, I bought a DS Lite and copy of Brain Age for my mother. She is forgetful sometimes and is afraid of Alzheimer's almost to the point of phobia. She likes playing Sudoku and word games, and she does some gaming of that nature on her iBook, but finds it a little heavy to be as portable as she'd like. I think the DS Lite (which not coincidentally matches her iBook), with its bright screens and simple interface, will hit the spot.

Added: I'm also thinking of buying one for myself when the black ones are available, but while I'm interested in Brain Age there aren't enough other games I'm interested in to merit the expense.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Ajar said:
After reading this article and the Australian article linked in the text, I bought a DS Lite and copy of Brain Age for my mother. She is forgetful sometimes and is afraid of Alzheimer's almost to the point of phobia.
What a kind thing to do. Ajar gets an "awww" from the Peanut Gallery. And as far as meriting the expense, I was wishy washy until I heard the word "pink" associated with the DS Lite. That and I have a little itch to play Pheonix Wright.