Black Ops 2 Texture Install Option Coming to PS3 Only

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Black Ops 2 Texture Install Option Coming to PS3 Only

Pre-installing textures might extend your PS3's Blu-Ray drive's lifespan.

The release of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is drawing near, and one console is getting singled out for a special feature. According to the game's director, David "Vahn" Vonderhaar, the PS3 version of Black Ops 2 will have an option to install HD textures to the hard drive, though it might not be for the reasons you'd expect.

In <a href=http://community.callofduty.com/message/413386131>a forum post on the official Black Ops 2 boards, Vahn explained that the install won't necessarily increase performance, but it will make sure the PS3's Blu-Ray drives last longer. As he explains:

This is one the fans having been asking us about demanding for a bit. Black Ops 2 has an option to "Install Textures to HDD."

When we explained to PS3 folks that installing to the HDD wouldn't neccessarily give us any significant performance gains, they explained back that the issue is they play so much it puts constant stress on the Blu-ray drive and wears them out.

Roger that.

It's a non-trivial amount of HDD space to install all the textures. I don't want to get into exactly numbers because anything can, and does change during development.

You don't have to install to enjoy the game. We still pre-cache like we did on Black Ops.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar"

Since all needed texture files are loaded into memory before a round even begins, performing the install would only affect loading times - not the match itself. Competitive players shouldn't be afraid that someone else's large media library might cost them a competitive edge.

Source: <a href=http://www.ign.com/blogs/aaaexclusive/2012/09/23/black-ops-2-on-ps3-to-include-texture-install-to-hdd-option>IGN

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
Wait, so do the textures load AND install during the loading screen? That doesn't make sense. I read it as "nontrivial" meaning very large, which in turn would mean ALL textures would be available on the hard drive. Which is correct?

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Why even make it an option? PS3 had mandatory installs from launch for precisely this reason.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
zelda2fanboy said:
Why even make it an option? PS3 had mandatory installs from launch for precisely this reason.
I haven't installed a PS3 game in years, but I do remember that they took an extraordinary long time to install. The option to avoid wasting 30-60 minutes before I can jump in to a game is one I would take. Then, when I have time, I will do the full install.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
the doom cannon said:
Wait, so do the textures load AND install during the loading screen? That doesn't make sense. I read it as "nontrivial" meaning very large, which in turn would mean ALL textures would be available on the hard drive. Which is correct?
When the game is loading, it's loading the textures in to memory. The idea behind this is that having the textures on the hard drive means that the bluray is accessed less, reducing wear.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
"People play our games SOOOOO much it is literally burning out their systems" is all I got from this.
Is CoD really still that addictive? Didn't the majority of us get bored, like, 2 or 3 games back???

I'm assuming there's a specific reason why the PS3 got singled out here? Does Blu-Ray burn out more easily than DVD under standard use?

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
GenGenners said:
"People play our games SOOOOO much it is literally burning out their systems" is all I got from this.
Is CoD really still that addictive? Didn't the majority of us get bored, like, 2 or 3 games back???

I'm assuming there's a specific reason why the PS3 got singled out here? Does Blu-Ray burn out more easily than DVD under standard use?
Well, since Modern Warfare 3 is the best selling game of all time, I'm guessing that's a no on people being bored.

As for the second point, you can install anygame to the Xbox already, which stops it spinning the disc, so I guess there's just no need to have the option on 360. I can't answer if the BLu-Ray burns out quicker though.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
GenGenners said:

The majority of us DID get bored and quit. However there is larger majority of kids age 8-16 that are vastly replacing us "old" gamers.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
razer17 said:
GenGenners said:

Well, since Modern Warfare 3 is the best selling game of all time, I'm guessing that's a no on people being bored.

As for the second point, you can install anygame to the Xbox already, which stops it spinning the disc, so I guess there's just no need to have the option on 360. I can't answer if the BLu-Ray burns out quicker though.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the 360 install options.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
GAunderrated said:
GenGenners said:

The majority of us DID get bored and quit. However there is larger majority of kids age 8-16 that are vastly replacing us "old" gamers.
Wow, I'm 19 and already I feel old. Thanks games industry! ^-^

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
GenGenners said:
GAunderrated said:
GenGenners said:

Wow, I'm 19 and already I feel old. Thanks games industry! ^-^
19 to the games industry is in your late 20's almost early 30's. Meaning you are starting to leave their demographic that buys crap regardless of value and therefore they won't be pitching to you as much since you actually think about purchases. lol.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Pretty much shows that at least a portion of the people who lost their PS3's to Skyrim were telling the truth.