How to Be a Nethernaut in Minecraft's Hardcore Mode

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
How to Be a Nethernaut in Minecraft's Hardcore Mode

Yahtzee offers up a few challenging ways to play the open world sandbox builder.

Read Full Article

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Recently got really ticked at minecraft. Had really good fortune through the whole game, i ended up building a beach resort house with everything i needed on a tiny island in the middle of the ocean it was awesome. Found diamonds, a ton of iron, got a ton of obsidian, decked out my house even more.

Then i went to the nether. My game glitched out and now my guy is stuck in the nether portal because the game has the nether portal squares as solids. I'm not losing health i'm just stuck... minecraft is an unforgiving place...

Mega_Manic

Sep 11, 2012
I still haven't played minecraft, mostly because in the realm of time wasters it seemed to most time wastiest. The idea of making a giant mario gives me nothing. But this idea of a hardcore mode intrigues me.

I mean what's fun without a fail state?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
You don't need a diamond pickaxe to build a nether portal. Some trickery involving lava, water, and buckets will make one too (basically, making obsidian where you want the portal to be).

P.S. Thanks

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
Typical. I wanted an article discussing the problems, and possible solutions to the problems, that exist in DayZ and instead we get a "Why I Like Minecraft" dissertation.

Meh.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I totally did the Navigator run once.

I had a collection of 3 maps with waystations at the centers. It was a lot of fun because each one had to be self-sufficient, secure, and easy to locate. Ended up turning them into Island fortresses only accessible by boat with the top being lit by torches so I could grow food and trees.

Also did a similar one to the Claustrophobe, except I allowed him to have a house. Only way I could get deep supplies was to build open air quarries. Never found any diamond and only a small amount of redstone. Still had a blast though.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
... I miss Minecraft. I used to play with my sister and we'd build a great house beside an open-air quarry. Not streamlined at all, but we'd dig a massive square out and then start going down and down and down until we got to bedrock, then slowly dig outwards on a couple levels to cover the diamond zone.

Once we found a huge area of stone open to the ground... so big and wide I think the two of us digging all day only cleared a level and a half at a time. It was pretty epic. We had a tower cut into the rock doing down one side of the quarry (and going way up above it) and a minecart line you could take all the way up. I think we even had a lava moat.

I did build a mini village on an MP server once and had a quarry, then just picked a random side of the square at diamond level and dug sideways. And just kept going. Was like 20 blocks wide and 5 high with a rail line running to the front. Was very nice.

Maybe after Torchlight I'll see if I can get my sister back into it and we can do that again.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Fun little article! Kinda neat to see how other people play Minecraft. Me, I just tend to build overelaborate citadels, each one with some lessons learned from the last one. Because a room with a pentagram carpet and an enchanting table in the center is just awesome. With a secret button nearby that opens the path to my main enchanting table with the books around it.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Seems SOMEONE has to give a quick look at the Minecraft-Wiki...
"Minecraft Man", "Nether Minerals"? They got official names, in case of latter, you even get a damn info when you hover your mouse over it.
Otherwise, that's more or less what I do in my normal runs, anyway.
1 - Get a map to be 100% explored
Got like three of those maps right now plus one for the Nether, all more or less discovered. That whole also soon gets various difficulties with the explore-part as 1.4 going to offer the ability to enlarge the area a map covers.
2 - Use the Nether to explore further areas
Well, not just that, but I build a damn railroad system in there, with trainstations and everything! Currently, it is quite linear, but I probably make it more ring-shaped or something like that further down the road.
(You should try it yourself - requires quite a lot of iron and gold to even build and then also having to make sure that no Ghast blows up your track... not THAT easy.)

I also set (and reached) myself the goal of:
* Building a tower out of Stone Brick with a size of 8x8 on the outside and a platform on the top. Size? Maxed out, 256 meters. Includes stairs and a wooded construction in the construction in the middle in a 4x4-ring-shape with a 2x2-waterfall all the way from top to bottom of the tower.
* Expand the tower to a full, small castle with a walkable, 4 blocks thick wall (walkable in the INSIDE and ON TOP)
* Have the castle feature a distractable bridge which only a player can open - from either side with switches.
* Find a village, expand it, wall it off

And currently, I decided I want to build an outpost in the village, hidden in their well (where my exit of the Nether-Railroads are hidden, btw). Also prepared myself for the upcoming update to 1.4 by having a cage for the Wither in the cellar of my base.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I still haven't gotten into Minecraft. I'm just not good at builder games. There's this weird thing in my brain where there's a huge disconnect between what I can imagine, and how I can make it real. It's really frustrating actually.
It's a shame, because I'd love to actually build some of the stuff I've written in my stories. Like a scale replica of Wall City, complete with the hidden tunnels accessed through the sewer system used by the thieves' guild and the old city that the current city was built on top of (like the one in Seattle). It would be awesome.

And while I'm dreaming, I would make a video in which I use my massive fortunes to hire up Bruce Boxlietner to voice the smuggler/crime boss Darren Leingod to do a guided tour.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
I find that typically once one manages to reliably gain access to food, water, a ghillie suit, and top tier weaponry in DayZ (a pair of night vision goggles also helps), the end game usually devolves into banditry. Some players form or join a group and choose a server to set up a base camp complete with tents, fortifications, and vehicles, others go at it solo. I've also seen a few bandit groups dedicated to hunting down other bandits frontier justice style, as well as one that specialized in delivering and administering medical supplies to players in need. I actually wouldn't mind joining a group that participates in hunts straight out of The Most Dangerous Game, where we strip a "participant" down to basic survival gear (i.e. an axe, a hunting knife, starter clothes, a basic handgun with 1-2 clips, and some rations) and set them loose with a half hour head start before hunting them down in jeeps and helicopters.

As for the Minecraft discussion... well, I don't own or play Minecraft so I can't really comment on that.

retrochimp

Dec 13, 2008
When the creepers come and blow up your house, it's the fuckin' way she goes. Fuckin' way she goes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLM_oQAWUuk

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I like your agoraphobe/claustrophobe idea. Haven't tried that one. I have done the others, though. Got lucky enough that my portal to the nether opened up right near a fortress, once, and I set up shop in there, after quickly liberating it from some local pests. Laughed like crazy that your portal dumped you over death. That's just a riot.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
I still haven't gotten into Minecraft. I'm just not good at builder games. There's this weird thing in my brain where there's a huge disconnect between what I can imagine, and how I can make it real. It's really frustrating actually.
It's a shame, because I'd love to actually build some of the stuff I've written in my stories. Like a scale replica of Wall City, complete with the hidden tunnels accessed through the sewer system used by the thieves' guild and the old city that the current city was built on top of (like the one in Seattle). It would be awesome.

And while I'm dreaming, I would make a video in which I use my massive fortunes to hire up Bruce Boxlietner to voice the smuggler/crime boss Darren Leingod to do a guided tour.
The wonderful thing about Minecraft is you don't need to be able to build replica structures in order to have fun.

One of my favourite pastimes in Minecraft is spelunking.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
The wonderful thing about Minecraft is you don't need to be able to build replica structures in order to have fun.

One of my favourite pastimes in Minecraft is spelunking.
Well, there is that option, I guess. But it's the building that gives you awesome stuff to talk about it.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Very true.

I also wish I could build giant majestic structures to show off to people :(

Maybe redstone contraptions could be your calling? (Sadly I suck with redstone too).

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
His points on DayZ got me thinking; the game does need goals, but player-driven ones.

Having set blue/red friendly 'safezones' would tamper with the current setup of every point of interest having the smallest margin of population. The game is really about whether you have someone near you, or not, and whether they can be trusted (and with the way things currently are, 80% of players are pirate-wannabees). Though, that also is what creates the huge amount of reds in the first place, if you ask me. Blues don't organize... as much.

I think a great system would be an "announcement" relay from broken radio towers that require parts to fix, and sends a map-wide message that will allow anyone to see the past 24 real-time hours worth. It would allow players to both organize and plot against others via ruse. They could declare "this area blue friendly" and have many people meet there with an idea that it's either real, or a trap, but interest is garnered - and thusly a goal is set.

Eventually, if it works as intended, people could start setting up actual safezones where people take turns guarding it and going out for resources to stockpile (as well as holding off asshole reds). Goals could be "stockpile barbed wire for perimeter", "more guards needed", etc. The only problem with a player-made safezone is constant harassment by those damnable reds, because now they have a neverending goal of ruining everyone else's happy fun time. Though, perhaps that gives a little more incentive to actually post around playing guard. It likely won't be as boring a position as it sounds, and continual defense of these areas assures a steady stockpile and safe drop-off of goods for those intending to show a bit of face in defending it. Could be interesting.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
I've got a point to make about Yahtzee's Mr. Navigator! run on 360. Since it's a self-imposed challenge, you have every right to just toss the map you've been given and set out normally. It still costs redstone, iron, and bamboo sugarcane to make another one.

Of course, the 360 version still doesn't have true Hardcore mode, just the standard "Hard" difficulty, so point rescinded I guess.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
Wouldn't fishing be a better option for underground sustenance? You need some sticks from above and you're set. Water and web are easy to find underground. You need to make an underground tree farm, anyway. Torches can cost a lot of wood over time.