Terraria Creator Confirms No New PC Content

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Terraria Creator Confirms No New PC Content

The new Terraria content coming next year will be exclusive to the console versions of the game.

There was a pretty good blow-up [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119542-Terraria-Goes-to-Consoles-PC-Gamers-Go-Nuts] a couple weeks ago following the announcement that the previously-PC-exclusive indie hit Terraria is coming to consoles next year. The problem wasn't the console versions themselves, but rather what fans saw as the abandonment of the original game despite the promise of ongoing, Minecraft-style development, not to mention the crushing disappointment that followed what many fans assumed was a tease of resumed work on the PC edition.

Even worse, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions are coming with new content - and now Andrew "Redigit" Spinks, the creator of Terraria, has confirmed that the PC version isn't getting it. That's because the console release of Terraria is being handled by 505 Games and Engine Software, while he remains essentially outside of the process.

"We haven't been directly involved with development on the port, so when Engine offered to create and implement this new content for the console edition, it was like icing on the cake for us," he told Beefjack.

It's understandably disappointing for long-time fans of the game, but it's also a redemption of sorts for Spinks, who is apparently sticking to his "no new development" guns after all. And you can hardly blame the guy for standing back and letting someone else pick up the ball and run with it, especially if they're going to toss him a few bags of money as they go by.

Terraria is scheduled to arrive on Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network in 2013.

Source: Beefjack [http://beefjack.com/news/terraria-creator-responds-to-console-version-uproar/]

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Now that sucks.

But at least I'll be able to play it with friends online now.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
This can only end well, I'm sure of it! Absolutely positive that this will garner no negative reaction at all!

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
EDIT: people thougth i was actually serious, I wasn't So i'm editing this post so my inbox doesn't get filled with hatemail.
Please stop flaming me i got a soft skin.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
GenGenners said:
I'm getting the popcorn. This thread is going to be DELICIOUS.
Is this thread going to be delicious? Or is this thread going to be full of people waiting for this thread to become delicious?

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
While I am disappointed that they won't release the content for PC, I honestly don't care at this point. If I want to play through this additional content, I'll buy the game for Xbox. The PC version was good enough to be worth more than what I payed for it and because of that, I don't care if i have to buy another copy for another system.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Nutshell post ahoy:

uchytjes said:
While I am disappointed that they won't release the content for PC, I honestly don't care at this point. If I want to play through this additional content, I'll buy the game for Xbox. The PC version was good enough to be worth more than what I payed for it and because of that, I don't care if i have to buy another copy for another system.
Got it on the PC, more than happy to pick it up on the 360 (where I would prefer to play it) so Im all smiles!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Yep, and all PC gamers are entitled because they get pissed off yadayadayada. This was what they were upset about and people told them to stop whining. Now, it's come true.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
BooTsPs3 said:
rolfwesselius said:
Well i'm not buying any more of their games if they release an unfinished game and then abandon it without even releasing basic mod support.

Yeah, sue me.
You don't deserve the luxury of gaming. How was it unfinished in any way? Also it was a fucking $10 game and how many hours of enjoyment did you get from it?
You are an idiot and an asshole.
The first release didn't even have resolution options they released it as a beta.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Azuaron said:
GenGenners said:
I'm getting the popcorn. This thread is going to be DELICIOUS.
Is this thread going to be delicious? Or is this thread going to be full of people waiting for this thread to become delicious?
Urrrrmmmmmm.......both, I hope >_>

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Not that I care. Stopped playing Terraria after they added the female sprite as I never liked the look of it. Couldn't really get myself to play anymore as my good characters were all female and now looked all weird with mini-skirt and heels.
And going with male would have meant to create a new character (start from scratch again) and play with a voice I didn't like.

So... I just don't care. Of course, it would've been nice of PC-Players would get that new content, too, at one point or another...

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Oh, look, the fire's almost out. Nice of him to dump this big pile of gasoline here.

Personally I never got into Terraria. I was too deep into Minecraft when it became popular. I suppose now that's for the best. Minecraft updates can be really halfassed, but at least it's still updating.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
rolfwesselius said:
Well i'm not buying any more of their games if they release an unfinished game and then abandon it without even releasing basic mod support.

Yeah, sue me.
I'm sorry but the game as it is now is pack with so much more content that its worth more than the paltry $10 they asked you for.

The game is now finished, with a beginning, middle, and end. Acting entitled for more just because console gamers are getting a few more extra items is a waste of time. Especially considering the fact that Terraria had some great mods out there. Something console games will never have.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
rolfwesselius said:

Yeah, sue me.
I'm sorry but the game as it is now is pack with so much more content that its worth more than the paltry $10 they asked you for.

The game is now finished, with a beginning, middle, and end. Acting entitled for more just because console gamers are getting a few more extra items is a waste of time. Especially considering the fact that Terraria had some great mods out there. Something console games will never have.
I edited my post i was not even serious i just forgot sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet.
But the mod thing is true modding terraria is a bigger hassle than it should be.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I full expect a series of posts casually alluding to elitism while simultaneously coming off smug and superior. It's so unusual from this community...