Ubisoft Unveils Far Cry 3 PC Requirements

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Unveils Far Cry 3 PC Requirements

Check out the Far Cry 3 PC specs and then tell the world about your worst vacation ever with personalized "Holiday From Hell" postcards.

Two scenarios could play out when you tell the guy behind the counter that you want a copy of Far Cry 3. He could say, "Which console do you have?" and you'll tell him, and he'll hand you the appropriate package and send you on your way; or he might say, "What video card do you have," at which point you can enjoy a momentary swell of pride as your status among the elite is once again reaffirmed.

The downside is that you'll also actually need to know what kind of video card you have, and so to assist you in preparing for the big moment Ubisoft has revealed what kind of video card you'll need, plus a few other tidbits of potentially useful information as well. Pay attention!

Minimum Spec:

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo E6700 or 3.00 GHz AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6000+ or better
RAM: 4 GB
Video Card: 512 MB DirectX 9.0-compliant card with Shader Model 4.0 or higher

Recommended Spec:

Processor: Intel Core i3-530 or AMD Phenom II X2 565 or better
RAM: 6 GB
Video Card: 1024 MB DirectX 11-compliant card with Shader Model 4.0 or higher

Make 'Em Jealous Spec:

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K or AMD FX-4150 or better
RAM: 8 GB

Supported video chipsets include the AMD Radeon HD 2900/3000/4000/5000/6000/7000 series, and the Nvidia GeForce GTX 8800/9000 and GT 200/400/500/600 series.

While you wait for Far Cry 3 to launch, you can pass a little time with the "Holiday From Hell" postcard maker, a Facebook app that lets you create and send personalized tropical paradise greeting cards to all your friends and enemies. Yes, it's Facebook, and I know that'll turn some of you off, but it's actually very easy to use and as you can see, the results are undeniably spectacular - although not everyone is going to have the same quality of sexy source material as me.

Far Cry 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Far-Cry-3-Playstation/dp/B0050SXX88/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348598105&sr=8-1&keywords=Far+cry+3] comes out on December 4 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Source: Facebook [http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/715887-Official-PC-Specifications]

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
As someone who has never owned a decent PC (sadface), those spec lists may as well be the code of the Matrix for all the difference in sense it makes. All I see is a random conglomeration of numbers and letters,

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
poiumty said:
Yaaaay I fit the minimum requirements. Who said you had to upgrade every year, this shit's 5 years old and can still run stuff.
That's true of just about any game these days. As long as games continue to be developed for the Xbox 360 and then ported to everything else, you can get away with 5 year old hardware. The only reason to get new stuff is if you want a smooth experience at very high resolutions, or you want to turn on the extra eyecandy that some developers are nice enough to provide with the PC version.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Minimum Spec:

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo E6700 or 3.00 GHz AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 6000+ or better
RAM: 4 GB
Video Card: 512 MB DirectX 9.0-compliant card with Shader Model 4.0 or higher
Uh huh...

Recommended Spec:

Processor: Intel Core i3-530 or AMD Phenom II X2 565 or better
RAM: 6 GB
Okay...

Make 'Em Jealous Spec:

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K or AMD FX-4150 or better
RAM: 8 GB
Right so whats the name of the Spec thats better than all three of the ones listened? If the third one is Make 'Em Jealous then are all the builds above it's standard the Make 'Em Cry Spec? Far Cry that is.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
I like the fact they compare the Intel Core i7-2600K to the AMD FX-4150, the FX series is slower than their last gen (Phenom II) for games.

Marketing department hoooo!

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
My computer falls into the category of 'Make'Em Jealous Spec' or above (Hades, but I love building my own ridiculously over-powered PCs) and I would have loved to have bought this game. Or buy this game when it comes out but alas, Ubisoft. None of my moneys will ever go to you again.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
GenGenners said:
As someone who has never owned a decent PC (sadface), those spec lists may as well be the code of the Matrix for all the difference in sense it makes. All I see is a random conglomeration of numbers and letters,
Translation
Min specs
Most likely your 4 year old $800 desktop (that you didn't make because it would be a crap ton better if you did) can kinda run the game.
$500 new desktop might be able to run it (depending if it had dedicated graphics card or an A8 APU)
Recommended specs
You spent about $800 about 4 years ago and made your own desktop with gaming in mind
You spent about $600 dollars recently to make your own computer with gaming in mind
Make em jealous
You spent about $800 or more to make your own desktop
You are an idiot and spent $2500 on a new alien ware

Best way to predict if you can run it is rather overkill the recommended specs or try a demo

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Well my Video Card will make em jealous, but my Processor? Yeah, I really need to upgrade my 3.3 GHz Athlon X2....

Unfortunately, my wife's not likely to go for that any time soon.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Warped_Ghost said:
GenGenners said:
Translation
Min specs
Most likely your 4 year old $800 desktop (that you didn't make because it would be a crap ton better if you did) can kinda run the game.
$500 new desktop might be able to run it (depending if it had dedicated graphics card or an A8 APU)
Recommended specs
You spent about $800 about 4 years ago and made your own desktop with gaming in mind
You spent about $600 dollars recently to make your own computer with gaming in mind
Make em jealous

Best way to predict if you can run it is rather overkill the recommended specs or try a demo
How would I even go about making my own desktop? I have no idea >_>

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
GenGenners said:
Warped_Ghost said:
GenGenners said:
Translation
Min specs
Recommended specs
Make em jealous

It really isn't that hard

Make sure your parts are compatible before you but them by asking a forum or some other way.
Also always order online (its almost always cheaper).

Here is part one of a pretty good tutorial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

qwagor

Mar 18, 2009
Wow, so it's an actual PC game instead of a port. Oh, Ubisoft, you are such a lovable schizophrenic...

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
That is the most useless minimum/recommended requirements list I've seen in a while. The video cards in particular are completely arbitrary and don't tell you anything (you can get a relatively low end card with a gig of RAM on it which will be a joke compared to a "real card"; my old 512MB 4770 is massively faster than my friend's 1GB GT 240), and as has already been pointed out, the CPUs they list are just silly. And I'm sure to actually run on the highest settings and look as pretty as what they've been showing off previously, you'll need a much better video card than they're implying.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I'm feeling skeptical. I think that the requirements are fake, they have been tweaked for marketing purposes. I suppose we'll find out soon.

bbad89

Jan 1, 2011
I can accept these specs, as the game looks incredibly nice.
Dishonored on the other hand, has absolutely fucking ridiculous specifications, considering that it doesn't even look that great, graphically speaking. Sure the style looks nice and all, but check the actual graphical prowess at play in the demos and tell me if you would put a GTX 460 as minimum for that.
OT: Far Cry 3 does look pretty cool, although the MP might not be my cup of tea.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Spec wise I can do this easily since my current rig is rated 'jealous' but do I open up my wallet to a company that treated and called paying PC customers pirates and treated them all as such but has recently recanted?

Ubi why do you make things so difficult?

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
Warped_Ghost said:
GenGenners said:
Warped_Ghost said:
GenGenners said:
Translation
Min specs
Recommended specs
Make em jealous

It really isn't that hard

Make sure your parts are compatible before you but them by asking a forum or some other way.
Also always order online (its almost always cheaper).

Here is part one of a pretty good tutorial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
I love you! ^-^