Thief 2, System Shock 2 Get Surprise Updates

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thief 2, System Shock 2 Get Surprise Updates

A major, mysterious fan-made patch has breathed new life into two Looking Glass classics.

Thief 2: The Metal Age [http://www.amazon.com/System-Shock-2-Pc/dp/B00000K4AX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348702001&sr=8-1&keywords=system+shock+2] are two of the most glorious videogames ever made. There's no room for discussion or debate on the topic, that's just how it is. But they're also rather old - System Shock 2 came out in 1999, Thief 2 in 2000 - and honest fans will admit that even when they were new, they weren't much to look at. Fans have released a number of mods for System Shock 2 that dramatically improve its visuals but it takes a good degree of comfort with such things to get them installed and working, and even so, they leave some elements untouched.

But a couple of files that recently turned up on the French site Ariane4ever promise to change all that. They're unofficial patches that bring a huge number of visual improvements to the games, such as windowed mode, widescreen resolutions, 32-bit color, improved textures and much more, while at the same time boosting their overall performance and stability. These aren't just minor tweaks; they represent major overhauls to both games. There are even single-level demos for both, if you just want to give them a spin without having to actually reinstall the full games.

It sounds a little dubious and despite living in the frigid wastes of the north I don't actually speak French, but fortunately the good folks at the TTLG forums are all over it and they've given both patches a resounding thumbs up. Who "Le Corbeau" is and what drove him (or her) to create these updates now, more than a decade after the fact, is a mystery. But if you're a taffer or a hacker with an itch for some old-school goodness, you should definitely give them a look.

Sources: Through the Looking Glass [http://ariane4ever.free.fr/ariane4ever/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4287&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Loved Thief 3... But the graphics turned me off the first two (from what I saw they didn't age well at all.)

Maybe its time to get Thief 2 off of GOG.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
What a pleasant surprise! Although, I'm not sure if I have the willpower to have these AND Black Mesa and sleep at a proper hour. I mean, I'm already under-rested! This hobby, I tell ya...

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
So yeah, I know what I'll be doing these next days.

Now let's hope someone pops up out of nowhere with a Black Mesa Source-style remake of both these games. Then again, that piece of news would probably kill me.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I've already crammed both Thief Gold and Thief 2 (Steam versions) full of mods that makes them more easy to the eye, like proper HD resolution and some new textures and improved models, but nothing too fancy, just to make them more stable and playable in Windows 7 (also, it's a treat to play them with antialiasing).

Granted, I seriously don't know or can't see how this will improve them both with their already extensive number of improvements that fans have been making for the last 14 years.

Or if it's the exact same mod I'm using, I apologize for my ignorance.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mr.Tea said:
Do you need to have the games already? I mean, of course you do, but even GOG doesn't sell System Shock 2...
The rights to System Shock 2 are locked down in what is apparently intractable legal morass. EA has the rights to the System Shock trademark but the development rights landed in the hands of an insurance company after the collapse of LGS. (Details here: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/713030/the-lost-history-of-system-shock/) I don't condone piracy, but the bottom line is that SS2 isn't going to become available through legal channels anytime soon. Take from that what you will.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
I've already crammed both Thief Gold and Thief 2 (Steam versions) full of mods that makes them more easy to the eye, like proper HD resolution and some new textures and improved models, but nothing too fancy, just to make them more stable and playable in Windows 7 (also, it's a treat to play them with antialiasing).

Granted, I seriously don't know or can't see how this will improve them both with their already extensive number of improvements that fans have been making for the last 14 years.

If I understand correctly, I believe these patches will go a long way towards making the games actually playable. The last time I tried to get System Shock 2 to even install correctly on my Windows 7 machine was an exercise in fucking around with game files, and even when I finally managed to get it installed the beginning and ending cutscenes (which used a codec Windows 7 doesn't support) simply refused to play.

Simply put, getting System Shock 2 to work on my machine is a huge fucking headache.

Sonder Saunters

Oct 24, 2009
Pardon, mais je parle Francais. Considering the fact that it is LE Corbeau and not LA Corbeau, we can assume that it's a man that made this. Or maybe screen names know no gender boundaries in France, I'm not sure.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
This a rebuild from the original source, with significant engine overhauls, released anonymously. It leaps and bounds better than what the modders have been able to do to this point.

Shakura Jolithion

Nov 9, 2009
Systemshock.org used to be under another name, but it's the fansite I found all the best SS2 mods on and SSPortable. Anyone interested should go check those out. I might have to go play SS2 for the umpteenth time (vs. Bioshock which I played once and felt meh).

Also, if you like SS2 (Yhatzee...), you need to check out Christine's Mods. They're pretty much a sequel/expansion/whathaveyou and imo wind up playing out better than the original just from the length of time and new locations/variations in them. These games didn't die, they've just been on life support thanks to great communities keeping them going with awesome mods... People are *still* modding SS2 on the systemshock.org forums.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011

That is some sweet lookin' old school shit, there. Puts the graphics mod I used for SS2 to shame I tells ya. SHAME.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Vasto said:
Pardon, mais je parle Francais. Considering the fact that it is LE Corbeau and not LA Corbeau, we can assume that it's a man that made this. Or maybe screen names know no gender boundaries in France, I'm not sure.
Well you're right on that account. The Le definitely implies masculinity. I find the name quite intriguing considering that Le Corbusier was the pseudonym of a particularly famous and notably eccentric architect. Exactly what the connection might be between Le Corbeau and Le Corbusier, or even if there actually is one, I can not say... however I think it does present some interesting possibilities if the name is meant as an allusion.