How Your Mass Effect Save Affects Mass Effect 2

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
How Your Mass Effect Save Affects Mass Effect 2

BioWare has finally explained exactly how your Mass Effect 1 save affects your Mass Effect 2 experience, and, in short, they're saying it could potentially change everything.

BioWare's talked a lot of game about how your Mass Effect 1 save will influence how your Mass Effect 2 experience ends up playing out, but have been a bit shy on the specifics about how exactly all of it's going to work. Turns out that maybe the reason they haven't been explaining the details is because the scope of how this works is potentially, ahem, massive.

"It's completely different from anything you've played before, because it's literally, potentially threaded into everything that happens," BioWare's Casey Hudson told PC World [http://www.pcworld.com/article/168953/building_bridges_casey_hudson_talks_mass_effect_2.html]. "When you're playing the first game, everything that you do is setting a variable so that as the story progresses we know that you did a certain thing on a certain planet, and then internal to the game, we can reference those things."

All those variables make their way into Mass Effect 2, and "it's not just what your ending was, or a couple of the big choices, you know, where we could have stuck a conversation at the beginning and asked you what you did and moved on. This is literally hundreds of things."

Hudson gives this example: in Mass Effect 1 you may have encountered Conrad Werner in the course of your adventures, and you could have been a jerk to him or not and that would have been the end of the interaction. At the time, BioWare says, you "might have been thinking of it as just a trite role-playing convention," but in Mass Effect 2, when Werner shows up again in a subplot, "what you did two years ago is meaningfully affecting what's happening."

From the biggest changes to the tiniest details, your Mass Effect 1 save sounds like it will genuinely shape your Mass Effect 2 playthrough. "It's also part of dialogues, part of signs that you see, even reflected in PA announcements that you'll hear," Hudson said. "So it's woven through the entire experience, from beginning to end."

GodsOneMistake

Jan 31, 2009
Ya thats what I thought... I knew thats how it was gonna be a while ago and was kind of surprised people were having such trouble comprehending this. Well now it's officially clear

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Stop posting stuff about this game.

My head will explode from anticipation if you don't.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
That's...pretty damn cool. I didn't expect them to take it that deeply, just expected it to be on big choices on story planets and how you defeated the final boss.

Might need to dig out Mass Effect 1 again and sort out getting a few different save files.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
This is why I spent many hours and several sheets of paper cataloging(sp?) everything I did on my latest character for the game. I made sure I achieved every single side quest I could find, including the precious metals and medallions quests. I assumed something like this would be that case.

walls of cetepedes

Jul 12, 2009
What if you never finished the first game? I got up to the part just after the part where you fight Saren in the cloning place, and had to return the game.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Oh God, why have I not picked up Mass Effect 1 yet? Oh, that's right, because I'm a poor student with no job and can't afford it. Still, birthday next month. Yay!

Ahem.

Anyway, this looks bloody amazing. It's things like this that show we are literally entering a new phase of gaming, because this time five years ago, even, we didn't have the technology to do all these things now. Nowadays the gaming industry announces small miracles every other day, and this is one of them. I am looking forward to this so much and I haven't even played the first game yet. I really need to remedy that dficiency in my gaming experience, because Mass ffect 2 looks like it isn't just hype, but rather the next generation of gaming.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Sounds cool but what about all the people that no longer have a save from the first game or never played it? It could potentially limit their experience quite a bit.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
wonder what going to hapend when someone haven´t played Mass Effect and plays Mass Effect2 ???

asiepshtain

Apr 28, 2008
I hate saying this but I'm officaly hyped. They have successfully hyped me up.

Opening the calnder and counting the days hyped.
writing mass effects 2 name in my notebook with little hearts hyped.
Putting aside the 50$ bills in a specail marked box hyped.
Watching the trailer and imagining playing it hyped.

ahem...hyped.

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
blipblop said:
wonder what going to happen when someone haven´t played Mass Effect and plays Mass Effect2 ???
I presume they'll either let you choose some key choices when you make your character or they have a designated "canon" plot which you'll be given to use.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
I remember them talking about this being a possibility...
I WANT THIS SO HARD!

THIS is how you do a sequel!

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
Sounds cool but what about all the people that no longer have a save from the first game or never played it? It could potentially limit their experience quite a bit.
Incentive to play(buy) Mass Effect. This is good game design as well as good business all rolled into one neat little package.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
I am against this because I really don't want to replay mMss Effect a bazilion times to experience everything in Mass Effect 2, which will take ages as is even with a brand new game file.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Finaly, some true CAUSE and CONSEQUENCE in a video-game, though I'll try not to get my hopes up to much