EA's 2013 NBA Live Reboot Canceled

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
EA's 2013 NBA Live Reboot Canceled

For the second time in three years, EA Sports has canceled a game within weeks of release.

NBA Live used to be one of EA Sports' most prominent series, and the 2010 iteration of the game received generally favorable reviews. EA Sports attempted to take its basketball franchise in a different direction with by dropping Live and developing NBA Elite 11, but a bug-plagued demo caused it to be delayed and eventually canceled. NBA Live 13, due out in late 2012, was supposed to mark the series' comeback, but now it has also been canceled without ever having received a real release date.

Executive Vice President Andrew Wilson broke the news on the NBA Live website [http://www.easports.com/nba-live/news/article/nba-live-13-update], stating "after a lot of consideration, we have made the decision to not launch NBA Live 13." He added that the developers "made a commitment to deliver a high quality experience," and "we're just not there yet on NBA Live 13."

Apparently the game had been planned to be released next month, but Wilson said that it became clear that NBA Live 13 wouldn't be ready for an October launch. "And rather than launch midway through the season, we're going to sit out the full year and stay focused on making next year's game great."

Wilson said that Live would be back next year, and hoped that the decision to cancel Live 13 would give them a head start. "This decision puts us on the right track for success well into the future in a rapidly changing industry," he stated. EA Sports' inability to relaunch their basketball series for a second time has to be embarrassing for the developers, but it's a more admirable move than releasing a broken or inferior game. I don't know if many gamers are confident that EA Sports can bring back NBA Live next year, but Wilson is. "This wasn't an easy decision, but it's the right one for our fans. I hope you'll agree when you're able to play the game next year."

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5947066/ea-sports-cancels-nba-live-13]

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Well i give them props for the guts to say our game sucks and its not ready, good luck next year.

Still it is EA sports here so i would not buy it no matter if nba live 14 was the best game in the history of the universe.

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
Are you sure this is EA we are talking about?

Even if the game was a half finished piece of crap, it would seem like EA would have still released it to milk the fans of the franchise. At the very least kudos to EA for realizing that if the game is half finished they should wait for a full product rather than piss off more people.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
cerebus23 said:
Well i give them props for the guts to say our game sucks and its not ready, good luck next year.
Yeah, pretty much that. I'm no fan of EA's sports titles, but you have to give them credit for choosing to delay it a full year rather than letting it out unfinished.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Kudos to them for making what was likely a tough decision, especially given this had just happened once before. I really feel that a two year minimum development cycle for sports titles may be the best route to go with anyway, with the interstitial years covered by DLC expansions for things like roster and rule changes. It would allow for more significant developments in the release years and would help foster development that could push the sports genre forward.

Frostbite3789 said:
GenGenners said:
Waste of resources, much?
And if they would've released you'd be saying EA pushed a bug ridden product out the door.

There's no winning apparently.
Beat me to it. :)

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
This being an EA Sports title were talking about, i think we can be certain that the only people that are going to miss it are EA and NBA accountants.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
gigastar said:
This being an EA Sports title were talking about, i think we can be certain that the only people that are going to miss it are EA and NBA accountants.
Because it's well known that neither gamers nor fans of the sport like EA Sports titles.

Read that dripping with an incredible amount of sarcasm, would you kindly?

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
It's the same game every year, so at least they won't be starting from scratch with the next one...

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
They could just re-release last edition with shinier graphics, no fan would notice.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Umm... they want to make next year`s game great?

They`ve been working on it for 3 years already. I thought it was supposed to be NBA and not Olympic basketball.

All this is is EA realizing that the market for basketball is dominated by their competitors and they don`t want to make a game that doesn`t dominate. In their minds, if the game has similar ratings to the 2K series, it should have had similar sales where it was actually squashed by its competition even though the game was excellent.

The sad part is that they were on the right track in NBA Live 10 but didn`t have the balls and the confidence to stick with their excellent product.

This is just another example of how EA does things wrong (from a gamers point of view)