Guild Wars 2 Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Guild Wars 2 Review

Guild Wars 2 may not completely revolutionize the genre, but it certainly appears to be the new standard that future MMOs will look to.

Read Full Article

thewanderer41

Jun 20, 2012
Was I the only person who saw the ending cut scene and thought: "Knockdown, dodge the rock throw because it does half your health, fear"

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I had to upgrade from an Nvidia GTS250 to a GTX570. Even though their performance chart put the 250 in "high" range, even on "best performance" I barely reached 20 FPS. Now, even in scenic and intensive locations I have a steady 45+ FPS.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Wow, watching how the combat works reminded me a lot of The Secret World (my current MMO love), but with even more movement than TSW.

I definitely need to get this game ASAP.

Tippy

Jul 3, 2012
I would call the no-subscription aspect pretty damn revolutionary, because then you can simply treat it as a $60 multiplayer game with HUNDREDS of hours of content.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I take it this is the final review? Either way, it make me wonder who will be the first company bold enough to make an MMO using similar mechanics to GW2?

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
CriticKitten said:
* The jumping mechanic and significant emphasis on jumping puzzles is downright frustrating, since different races and sizes of character will be perceived as jumping differently, causing players to fall to their deaths on many occasions for a jump they should have made. It doesn't help that the jumping mechanic itself feels somewhat unreliable to boot, as you'll have to push the jump key and forward key in slightly different ways to achieve completely different jumping heights and distances.
Agreed with everything but this. I loved the jumping Vista's, especially some of the hidden puzzles (like the hidden pirate cave in Lions Arch). I thought a lot of them were really quite clever, with some of the puzzles being massive in scope and easily the equal to several levels of a traditional platformer, taking 10-15 minutes to complete. The inclusion of Vista's and puzzles into GW2 was one of my favorite features.

My favorite feature though, was the gigantic, multiple chain Dynamic Events leading you through giant battles, sieges and ending with a massive world boss fight (some of which being surprisingly challenging not to die on). I was absolutely blown away by the Harathi Hinterlands for example, some of the most epic things I've ever seen in gaming period. Literally thousands of people working together to take down a massive Centaur stronghold, along with the Giant world boss (that has an attack that will two shot everyone in the raid group every few seconds unless you time your roll correctly).

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
I'm not a huge MMO player however I picked this up since I played a bit in the original game. Overall I've been very impressed with the sense of polish on the game and the fact that there are no silly monthly fees with this (same as GW1).

The only thing I'm constantly forcing myself to remember whenever I manage to crawl up to a vista .... you can't jump off the damn thing like in Assassins Creed and hop into a haystack.

Blackbird71

May 22, 2009
Tippy said:
I would call the no-subscription aspect pretty damn revolutionary, because then you can simply treat it as a $60 multiplayer game with HUNDREDS of hours of content.
Can you really call it revolutionary if Guild Wars (1) has been doing it for seven years already?

Tippy

Jul 3, 2012
Blackbird71 said:
Tippy said:
Can you really call it revolutionary if Guild Wars (1) has been doing it for seven years already?
It's a Guild Wars game, what does it matter? The first was hardly a huge success.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Tippy said:
Blackbird71 said:
Tippy said:
It's a Guild Wars game, what does it matter? The first was hardly a huge success.
Wait... 6.5 million copies sold for GW1 is not a huge success..? what?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Jaeger_CDN said:
I'm not a huge MMO player however I picked this up since I played a bit in the original game. Overall I've been very impressed with the sense of polish on the game and the fact that there are no silly monthly fees with this (same as GW1).

The only thing I'm constantly forcing myself to remember whenever I manage to crawl up to a vista .... you can't jump off the damn thing like in Assassins Creed and hop into a haystack.
The temptation...so high. The nice ones are the ones with water below, so you can kind of do that.

Aerowaves

Sep 10, 2009
Am I the only one who hasn't had major fps issues? I don't have a particularly good computer but I've got most settings to maximum with shadows toned down and the only (very occasional) problems I've had have been largely temporary (i.e. performance is dragging but there's nothing major on the screen, which usually goes away within the hour) with no problems at all in big WvW fights or group boss events.

All in all, an excellent game. There's enough for old fans and new to enjoy, and we can expect a lot more development. Justin barely touched on many of the gameplay features that make working together such a treat (resurrections, combo fields etc) but what I'd really emphasise on top of that is the beauty of the world; the sound direction, art direction and environmental effects work an absolute treat to make the experience a memorable one, with all the visas, skill points and points of interest there to force the true scope and depth of their hard work into your face.

Awesome.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
Great even review! I love this game to death, but I swear one more "it's revolutionary" and I will break someone's neck. I've been looking forward to this game for 5 years now and it sure hasn't failed to impress me. The art, the sound, the lore, I love every bit of this game.
Frostbite3789 said:
Jaeger_CDN said:

The temptation...so high. The nice ones are the ones with water below, so you can kind of do that.
-50% fall damage plus death shroud on necro means I can fall quite some distance without dying :D

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I had occasional FPS issues in Nolan Northville but haven't had an issue since starting up a Silvari Engi. No doubt my issues are entirely related to playing on North American servers from Australia. In a month or two I'll drop some money in the store if I'm still playing, I'll probably be wanting a new char slot by then.

General Vengeance

Aug 26, 2009
Guild Wars 2 is Vanilla. It's has got to be one of the most overhyped piles of meh. I've ever had the misfortune to spend $60.00 on in a long time. It's not horrible, but the storyline, combat system, voice acting, skill sets, etc are average, predictable and safe.

There is nothing very memorable about the game, it kills time as this "Amusement game" is designed to do. You'll go from one main event to the next, but you'd be hard pressed to remember many of them along the way. So if your looking for a game that is like a comfortable pair of shoes, then GW2 is for you.