Indie Royale Brings Hector to Oktoberfest

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Indie Royale Brings Hector to Oktoberfest

The latest Indie Royale bundle includes Hector, Chime, Shuggy and more, plus two unlockable albums for the non-cheapskates.

Indie game bundles come and go with such frequency these days that I just can't be bothered to point and yell about all of them. But I don't mind putting the effort into it when a good one comes along and in my very expert opinion, the Indie Royale Oktoberfest bundle is very good indeed.

Leading the pack is the Hector: Badge of Carnage trilogy, a wildly crude and legitimately funny point-and-click adventure starring the worst cop in the worst city in all of Great Britain. Next up is Chime, a hypnotic game of musical blocks that made a big splash when it was released in 2010, and the more recent Adventures of Shuggy, a highly-polished and intensely challenging puzzle platformer. The final two pieces in the puzzle are Dangerous High School Girls In Trouble and The Network, which I must admit I know nothing about - but even without them, the first three games alone are more than worth the price of admission.

Speaking of which, the minimum price at last check was just $5.45, but in fine Indie Royale tradition, the more people buy it, the higher the price goes - unless they help push the price back down by paying more than the minimum. There are also bonuses for paying at least $8 for the package: the graphical adventure The Witch's Yarn and two Savestates chiptune albums, Calm Your Nerves and Chip unDeath.

What you do with your money is your business, but Hector, Chime and Shuggy for a little more than a fiver is a really good deal. If you have a need for some cheap gaming and don't have these in your arsenal, I'd urge you to give them a look. The Indie Royale Oktoberfest bundle will be around until 12 pm EST on October 5.

Source: Indie Royale [http://www.indieroyale.com/]

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Correction: Only the chiptune albums are a for $8 or more, the game is available to all who purchase the bundle.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Grey Carter said:
I own all these games and am outraged they are now on sale.
I own most of them, and this keeps happening more and more often with these bundles. I think it might have something to do with having bought several hundred games in the past few years, particularly anything cheap that looks interesting that I remember hearing something good about at some point.

If it had DRM-free copies of all the ones I only have on Steam like the Humble Bundles do, I might just grab it anyway, but as it is I'm leaning toward hoping to grab individual things I'm missing later if they turn up on IndieGameStand or something.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
If it had DRM-free copies of all the ones I only have on Steam like the Humble Bundles do, I might just grab it anyway, but as it is I'm leaning toward hoping to grab individual things I'm missing later if they turn up on IndieGameStand or something.
...it does have DRM-free copies of all the games. You can either download them on Steam, Desura, or a stand-alone installer .exe which has no DRM attached. So, uh, yeah.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
...it does have DRM-free copies of all the games. You can either download them on Steam, Desura, or a stand-alone installer .exe which has no DRM attached. So, uh, yeah.
Good sir, I do believe you are right (mostly). I was misreading the email announcement they sent out about it, not looking at the site itself, and my brain parsed it wrong while I was half asleep. I should know better after having bought stuff from them before. It does seem to strongly imply that Chime is only available on Steam though. For some reason I thought it was more than just that one, but the rest all list multiple options. You may have just cost me $5. Heh.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Good sir, I do believe you are right (mostly). I was misreading the email announcement they sent out about it, not looking at the site itself, and my brain parsed it wrong while I was half asleep. I should know better after having bought stuff from them before. It does seem to strongly imply that Chime is only available on Steam though. For some reason I thought it was more than just that one, but the rest all list multiple options. You may have just cost me $5. Heh.
I paid $10 cos I wanted the music. I dun even know what the music is I just want it. Plus I know how these bundles work. There's gonna be more extras on top soon. Humble Bundle 6 did it, the last Indie Royale did it, I'll be damned if I'll miss out on more cool shit just cos I decided to pay bare minimum. MOAR STUFFFS

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
I paid $10 cos I wanted the music. I dun even know what the music is I just want it. Plus I know how these bundles work. There's gonna be more extras on top soon. Humble Bundle 6 did it, the last Indie Royale did it, I'll be damned if I'll miss out on more cool shit just cos I decided to pay bare minimum. MOAR STUFFFS
As you might be able to guess from my previous "hundreds of games" comment, that was my usual approach, but it feels like there are just too many of them too often these days to keep doing that. But still...

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
... Why does everything need to be called 'Oktoberfest' now?
I live in Munich, and the amount of tourists and marketing infecting a traditional folk festival is embarrassing.
Don't get me wrong, obviously it sells and the whole thing works. But it turned into something it neither was, nor should be, imho ...

That said, awesome bundle, even though it's all games I'm really not interested in.