Fujitsu Building the "Fastest Rig on the Planet"

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Fujitsu Building the "Fastest Rig on the Planet"

Fujitsu is producing a new gaming desktop PC, which they're claiming to be the "fastest rig on the planet" thanks to something called "German ultra clocking."

Japanese computer manufacturer Fujitsu is laying the hype on thick when it comes to their newly announced gaming desktop. This machine, designed to rival the Alienwares of the world, isn't just any old gaming rig built to play Crysis on high settings or attempt to play STALKER: Clear Sky on medium settings and still somehow crash. It is, as Fujitsu says, the "fastest rig on the planet."

Faster than that rig your crazy PC building friend designed from scratch? Apparently so. That's thanks to what Fujitsu refers to as "the German ultra clocking," more than 30 years of building desktop computers, the "best of the best hand selected components" and German engineering. Okay. I can buy the experience part and the top-tier components, but what in the hell is "German ultra clocking?" I know I'm not PC guy extraordinaire, so maybe someone can enlighten me, but I've never heard of this.

Even less informative is the And you know the Germans always make good stuff [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSR__lnK1No].

[Via Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/24/fujitsu-promises-to-deliver-fastest-gaming-rig-on-the-planet/]]

shifty89

Jul 21, 2009
i don't know where there getting the German expertise. Tho true to point they do make a lot of awesome stuff and that towel XD that made me laugh. But this pc is prob gonna cost so much that your gonna have to sell your children into slavery and maybe donate your parents to scientific research but who knows, I'm actually interested to see what they come up with.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Am I the only one that doesn't see Germany as the world leader in everything? For some reason no matter what it is if someone says it is made in Germany that's like a seal of gold.

"This is a new yo-yo made in Germany."
"Oh then it must be good!"
"Well that or its German."

I know certain places are known for their quality in certain products but Germany seems to get tagged as the catch all for good stuff.

Frankly in the global market I don't think any nation has better access to basically anything than any other nation. Just like when I go to another country and buy souvenirs only to find they were made in China anyways :p.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
.... what?

I am as confused as you are, sir. I'm intrigued to see how it works (if it does). Any ideas on price?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Bah, knowing the PC market, within the first 5 months of release something better will come along

shifty89

Jul 21, 2009
theultimateend said:
Am I the only one that doesn't see Germany as the world leader in everything? For some reason no matter what it is if someone says it is made in Germany that's like a seal of gold.

I know certain places are known for their quality in certain products but Germany seems to get tagged as the catch all for good stuff.

Frankly in the global market I don't think any nation has better access to basically anything than any other nation. Just like when I go to another country and buy souvenirs only to find they were made in China anyways :p.
well they did make the worlds best modern assault rifle the g36c, the best cars, and generally speaking they are prob the worlds best engineers. I actually remember reading a book on ww2 that said despite suffering collosal damage, the general efficiency of the Germans meant that they recovered quicker than most countries drawn into the war

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
shifty89 said:
theultimateend said:

well they did make the worlds best modern assault rifle the g36c, the best cars, and generally speaking they are prob the worlds best engineers. I actually remember reading a book on ww2 that said despite suffering collosal damage, the general efficiency of the Germans meant that they recovered quicker than most countries drawn into the war
Well it helps that at the time they also sat on some of the best possible land to recover. I forget what the ore was but Germany had a TON of it. That's why they could churn out crazy crap so easily.

Interesting info though.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
It's a funny thing for Fujitsu to say since the Japanese are widely regarded as some of the best engineers in the world as well. Why not promote it as Japanese Overclocking?

That said, the real test of engineering will be come when the computer is priced. As a guy I new in the auto industry once said, making an incredibly fast car that costs 500k is not a difficult thing because you have unlimited resources to work with. Making a car that costs 18k, never breaks down, can deal with huge amounts of wear and tear and still offer some level of performance, that's a feat of engineering genius.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
30 years?

Sure it doesn't go back beyond that? You know...Old WWII stuff, hehe.

Well, if I win the lottery I'd happily buy it, just hope it looks nice. Yes I am a little shallow with my computer case, don't judge me!

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
tendo82 said:
It's a funny thing for Fujitsu to say since the Japanese are widely regarded as some of the best engineers in the world as well. Why not promote it as Japanese Overclocking?

That said, the real test of engineering will be come when the computer is priced. As a guy I new in the auto industry once said, making an incredibly fast car that costs 500k is not a difficult thing because you have unlimited resources to work with. Making a car that costs 18k, never breaks down, can deal with huge amounts of wear and tear and still offer some level of performance, that's a feat of engineering genius.
I agree, when i think of the best technology I think of japan, not Germany. And the price factor is always an incredibly god point. I'm planning to buy a computer next summer with the shitload of cash I've made from my last 3 summers jobs. Maybe this could be it.

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
Should be interesting to see what they come up with. Still benchmarking against Alienwares isn't really a test. The average PC you build yourself is usually better than anything but the highest price Alienwares (and doesn't bankrupt you).

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
WOO HOO! Another thing that will be too expensive for me to buy! Now...where did I put that list?

*Rummages in desk drawers*

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
The Japanese rig that the Germans wish they'd made:

*obscure car commercial reference*

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
How much do you want to bet that you can build a faster computer by yourself? These get outdated quickly, so I wouldn't invest too much money into this.

TheDoomThing

Jun 24, 2009
Jumplion said:
Bah, knowing the PC market, within the first 5 months of release something better will come along
Yeah, probably. The rule of "super-PCs" is that within a year or so, something much better will come along.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
I've never heard of "Ultra Clocking", but I have heard of expirements in extreme overclocking conducted by AMD and Nvidia.

I read an actical saying that they were able to push Nvidia's i7 Extreme and AMD's Phenom II processors to around 6.0GHz using things like dry ice and liquid nitrogen as cooling.