"One Game and That's It" For 22 Cans

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"One Game and That's It" For 22 Cans

Peter Molyneux says his 22 Cans studio is only going to make one game, ever.

Peter Molyneux founded the indie studio 22 Cans immediately following his depature from the "experiments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116737-Peter-Molyneux-Calls-Microsoft-a-Creative-Padded-Cell]," he explained back in May, each of which will be released to the public "on the journey onto the final product that we're going to make."

And that final product, he said over the weekend, really will be the final product. "Everything that we do, every thought that we have, every moment of a day, is all working towards this full game. 22 Cans is only going to make one game and that's it," he told VG247.

"You just release that single experience then you refine it and adapt it like - and don't think of this in any way other than an analogy - when a TV company makes a soap opera," he explained. "They're not thinking about making a sequel to that show. Instead they're thinking of how they make this show as amazing as possible so that people watch it today, and that they will still be watching in a year's time. I like to think of our game like that."

To be clear, the "full game" Molyneux has in mind is not Curiosity [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118403-Peter-Molyneux-Explains-His-Crazy-Curiosity-Cube], the giant cube with the magic in the middle that may or may not change the world for at least one of its inhabitants. Work on the game is underway, but nothing is known about it publicly at this point. Other 22 Cans employees are working on the Android version of Curiosity, as well as a new experiment that's also under wraps.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/30/22-cans-is-only-going-to-make-one-game-molyneux/]

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
As trendy as it is to make fun of Peter Molyneux for being an extradimensional alien from a realm with emotions & sanity incongruous with our own, I gotta say I like & respect him. He does his thing, no matter what & it's always something original

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Oh Peter, you're such a fun lunatic. I have no idea what in the world could possibly be going on in that head of his.

And what's with the new avatar Andy? What's it from?

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I love Peter Molyneux, even if it's only for the entertainment value of watching him do his very strange thing, in an industry that's ever more dominated by money men who seem intent on crushing every last vestige of originality and innovation.

I still dream that one day he'll collaborate with Richard Garriott. The game would overpromise and undeliver for sure, but the hype would be the stuff of legends.

Ciler

Nov 16, 2009
Zombie_Moogle said:
As trendy as it is to make fun of Peter Molyneux for being an extradimensional alien from a realm with emotions & sanity incongruous with our own, I gotta say I like & respect him. He does his thing, no matter what & it's always something original
Totally agree. Sometimes his ideas are so outside the box, the box is a dot to him, but that's what makes him interesting. He's kind of like a mad artist; not everything works, but it gets people talking.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Who else feels the need to put LSD into his food so just to see the crazy shit that he will do. Seriously i want to know the crazy shit that he will do if someone gave him LSD.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oh, this is why we love you Molyneux. Can't wait to see the promises for this game.

Fappy said:
I have no idea what in the world could possibly be going on in that head of his.
I like to imagine it's something like this.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Andy Shandy said:
Oh, this is why we love you Molyneux. Can't wait to see the promises for this game.

Fappy said:
I have no idea what in the world could possibly be going on in that head of his.
I like to imagine it's something like this.

Yeah, that seems about right.

PS: That GIF is terrifying.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Peter I swear you are crazy but I know this won't happen because you always go back on what you say :p

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
I wasn't gone on Fable 3 but still played it till the end, and am really interested in these mysterious 'experiments'.

Hopefully they do not include mind control.

Peter Molyneux as the next bond villain? He gets my vote.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Andy of Comix Inc said:
"One game." Oh so he's sticking to what he knows?

Fable. Fable II. Fable again. Fable III. And so on.
That would be his "creative padded cell" era.

Populous. Syndicate. Theme Park. Dungeon Keeper. Black & White. The Movies.

llamastorm.games

Apr 10, 2008
I like Peter Molyneux, in an industry drowning in a lack of innovation and originality, say what you will about the man but at least he is trying to do something different, trying to be original and trying to push the boundaries of what gaming can do.
He obviously loves video games and isn't happy with the current boundaries on gaming, and he's trying to do something about it.
Fable it seems was limited not by imagination but by what was technically possible or deemed sellable by Microsoft.
I am curious about Curiosity, I am curious about his next 21 projects, i am curious about what his final game will be.

It's not about the destination, it's all about the ride.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
JediMB said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:

YOU RUINED THE JOKE HOW DARE YOU

I knew he made wildly unique games 'n shit. I just went for the cheap shot! All the Fable games are the same is... 's the joke I'm goin' for. 'S funny cos 's true, y'see.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Andy of Comix Inc said:
JediMB said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:

YOU RUINED THE JOKE HOW DARE YOU

I knew he made wildly unique games 'n shit. I just went for the cheap shot! All the Fable games are the same is... 's the joke I'm goin' for. 'S funny cos 's true, y'see.
Ruining jokes is what I do best.

And I stopped playing Fable after the first game, so I really can't say how similar the sequels are.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
No matter how crazy Molyneux seems, I respect him, and I love his pure enthusiasm for gaming and the possibilities it contains. You keep doing your crazy thing Peter, for a long time.

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
I totally lost respect for this guy due to his first experiment being delayed and other stuff about his experiment (Speaking about which, what the hell is going on with that?)

This article has done nothing to change that. If it's possible, my respect for him has gone down even more.

He's clearly a crazy and yet completely full of himself. I can't understand why anyone listens to half the crap he has to say.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
i laugh if the final release is exactly as apocalyptic as it sounds, and that we all ignored him until it was too late, and that he really MEANT that it was going to be the first and last game ever released

it seems like it would be exactly the kind of thing that would happen