No Federal Charges For 38 Studios

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No Federal Charges For 38 Studios

No federal charges will result from the bankruptcy of the Kingdoms of Amalur studio, but the state investigation continues.

The collapse of 38 Studios, the Curt Schilling-founded developer behind Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, was fast, ugly and painful for Rhode Island, which when all is said and done could end up taking a $100 million kick in the junk. There have been no concrete suggestions that criminality, as opposed to simple incompetence, had a role in the studio's downfall, but in June it was revealed that the Rhode Island Attorney General, Rhode Island State Police, the FBI and the U.S. Attorney's Office were conducting an investigation into "activities that have recently come to light," as State Police Colonel Steven O'Donnell put it.

The nature of those activities remains a secret but whatever they were, U.S. Attorney Peter Neronha has decided that they're not worth pursuing. A rep said that after a "narrow and focused review" of the studio, the Attorney's office has decided to drop the matter. "No further federal action is planned at this time," he said.

Somewhat unsurprisingly, given its deeper and more fiscally pressing entwinement, Rhode Island is carrying on with its own investigation. "It's still being pursued and we follow all leads that are presented to us," O'Donnell said.

38 Studios lawsuit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117785-Amid-Controversy-38-Studios-Declares-Bankruptcy-UPDATED] over his studio's failure.

Source: Washington Post [http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/apnewsbreak-no-federal-charges-on-schilling-company-38-studios-state-investigation-continues/2012/09/28/bcc11e1c-09a5-11e2-9eea-333857f6a7bd_story.html]

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
Interesting. Could be deals being worked out in the background.

Hopefully they can get it all resolved and the IP can be put back into the development space, because it definitely deserves a 2nd chance. Though an MMO would be a very bad idea.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Alandoril said:

Hopefully they can get it all resolved and the IP can be put back into the development space, because it definitely deserves a 2nd chance. Though an MMO would be a very bad idea.
Yeah, skip the MMO, make a second KOA game and fix what needs fixing.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Alandoril said:

This, This, 100% this. KoA was awesome but it does have some problems that could be easily fixed and I would love to see a sequel.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
MortisLegio said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Alandoril said:

This, This, 100% this. KoA was awesome but it does have some problems that could be easily fixed and I would love to see a sequel.
You guys are a lot more optimistic about this than I am. Because of the bad PR associated with it, I don't think any developer would want to touch the ip with a ten foot pole ever again. Let alone voluntarily get involved in this dino-turd grade legal mess.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
bliebblob said:
MortisLegio said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Alandoril said:

You guys are a lot more optimistic about this than I am. Because of the bad PR associated with it, I don't think any developer would want to touch the ip with a ten foot pole ever again. Let alone voluntarily get involved in this dino-turd grade legal mess.
Actually the IP is probably quite marketable. You have not only the game, but stuff from R.A. Salvatore and other fantasy authors that people like.