Resident Evil 6 Review

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Resident Evil 6 Review

Remember when Resident Evil used to be about survival horror?

Read Full Article

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Can't say I'm surprised.. or even disappointed at this point. While I have fond memories of the series in it's past (RE2 particularly), the series has been dead to me for a quite a while now.

Honestly, Capcom can make pretty damn good action games and I think it's about time they stopped pretending RE was anything other than an action game. It would be a better series for it in the end because they could give up on the now totally out of place survival horror elements.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
I am Jack's utter lack of surprise. Mostly a lack of surprise that Capcom's writing still sucks and a lack of surprise that Capcom seems to be taking the wrong lessons from the success of other games. I wasn't expecting this game to be good ("playable" is the current low bar standard for Capcom) but I was at least hoping it wouldn't be generic trash.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Does the story at least contain the same level of ham that RE5 had?

Also im beginning to think that the loss of the scare factor in Resi has something to do with Monster Hunter, ever since its rise to popularity in Japan a disproportionate number on Capcom's in-house developed games have ultimately come to beating the tar out of something big.

Well, brain farts aside im going to sleep.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Basically, it's RE5 but with locations more akin to RE4 and RE2? Strange how RE5 gets near perfect reviews but this one is being hailed as average?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
The Tall Nerd said:
hmm he was hoping for horror, he shouldn't have reviewed that game.
This is kind of how I feel about most of the reviews coming out. Especially during the whole RE:ORC fiasco. People are expecting all of the subsequent games to be re-hashes of the first two games, even though that very clearly isn't what they are. It was especially ridiculous with ORC, when Slant Six said that the USS were trained special forces that were able to fight on a level far above the canon RE protagonists and that game was you verses government Spec Ops with the zombies intentionally being little more than environmental hazards when the game had just started being developed. Come release day, it's getting 2's and 3's because people were expecting a horror game for some reason despite the developers very clearly stating that wasn't the kind of game they were making.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
The Tall Nerd said:
hmm he was hoping for horror, he shouldn't have reviewed that game.
This is kind of how I feel about most of the reviews coming out. Especially during the whole RE:ORC fiasco. People are expecting all of the subsequent games to be re-hashes of the first two games, even though that very clearly isn't what they are. It was especially ridiculous with ORC, when Slant Six said that the USS were trained special forces that were able to fight on a level far above the canon RE protagonists and that game was you verses government Spec Ops with the zombies intentionally being little more than environmental hazards when the game had just started being developed. Come release day, it's getting 2's and 3's because people were expecting a horror game for some reason despite the developers very clearly stating that wasn't the kind of game they were making.
ORC got 2s and 3s not because it wasn't a horror game, but because it was a terrible game. If RE6 had succeeded in just being a good game focusing on action, it wouldn't be a problem because it at least has focus. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. Not being a horror game is the least of this game's problems.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'm getting the feeling that Resident Evil's days as a franchise are numbered. The only money-grossing thing to have happened to the franchise in recent years is the Paul W. S. Anderson series of movies, which most of my friends watch not because they're superficially tied to the source material, but because they're somewhat entertaining schlock-fests.

We're eventually going to run out of Milla Jovovich vehicles which will a) perhaps allow her to pursue a more decent career in acting and b) put the final nail in the coffin of Umbrella's shambling corpse.

I think that's an apt analogy. The Resident Evil series is like one of its zombies. It shambles ahead and shrugs off bullets, occasionally trying its hand at a mutation or another. Neither of these things can stop the stinging bullets of criticism.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
While I've only played the demo (or rather demos), I have to say I like what I've seen so far. I've been a fan of Resident Evil since RE2 on the N64, and the only games I haven't enjoyed were the Outbreak games. And while I do lament the scarier parts of the series dying away, I can see how it works into the plot, what with the BSAA now and bio-terrorism, and all the protagonists having gone through this crap upwards of four times now. I don't really blame Capcom for the shift as much as I blame generic shooters like Call Of Duty, Battlefield, and their millions of clones that continue to sell despite each one being nothing more than a glorified map pack. Capcom sees the money these companies are making and want a share of the delicious pie. Resident Evil still has it's heart and soul, even now, and so long as that doesn't change, I'll still be a fan.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I'll probably end up picking up this game at some point anyways, if only for the opportunity to play as Leon again.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Doesn't really surprise me, the series has past it's prime a long ago, with my favorites being RE2, 4 and the Cube REmake.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I can't tell whats more grim, the other reveiws this games likely to receive or the fact im looking forward to watching them... gawd am I that much of an arse hole?
*Ponders*
Yes.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
I only played the demo, but that was enough to show how poorly designed and linear this game was. Why does my laser wail around like a drunk even though i'm standing still, like in previous RE games? Why do i wall really static, but can I jump and roll around like a idiot? Why can't I shoot supposedly dead enemies? I know they will attack, especially because my bullets are going through them.

Every time they come in a mechanic from a previous games and destroy it by adding something that just doesn't work. Not walking and aiming is a okay idea, but still are my shots not accurate? IT just one of them many examples of mechanics that counters itself and ruins the game. I wanted to play this game. I wanted to enjoy a RE evil game, but it is just so bad. When I finished the demo, I was left with the though: "Generic". And that is what it is: generic.

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
This review was pretty good, it sums up a few of my gripes with the demo. I must say that even though I am cautiously optimistic for RE6 I am still waiting for yahtzee to rip this game a new one. >:D

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm probably still gonna pick it up. I want to play it and even though the words have been harsh, it's still getting around a 7 or 8 from most sites, which still manages to be a good game, if not as good as I hoped for. I just don't honestly expect this to be a horror game, so I'll probably enjoy this game thoroughly still. If not, I can always go back to RE4 again.