Germany Passes on Painkiller: Hell and Damnation

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Germany Passes on Painkiller: Hell and Damnation

German authorities have decided that Painkiller: Hell and Damnation is a little too hot to handle.

Did you know that the brilliant Painkiller is getting a high-definition remake as Painkiller: Hell and Damnation? It actually came to light back in June [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117630-Painkiller-Returns-in-Hell-and-Damnation], although at the time it appeared to be an entirely new game rather than a rehash of the original. I've played an early beta and it was rough around the edges, as early betas tend to be, but it was also very much Painkiller: a note-for-note do-over of the first level, in fact.

So it's rather odd to hear that the USK, Germany's videogame rating agency, has decided not to give the game an age rating, effectively banning its sale in the country. Why exactly a rating was refused isn't known, although one outside source says "blood and violence and demons" may have something to do with it. What makes the situation odd is that the original Painkiller and every other release that followed it - Battle Out of Hell and the Black edition, plus the awful Overdose and Resurrection - were all given an "18" rating [http://www.usk.de/en/search-for-title/search-for-title/?tx_uskdb_list[action]=search&tx_uskdb_list[controller]=Title&cHash=b702b0e569fc0b029fa8a704e0a58d1b].

These screens might offer a little insight into the matter:

[gallery=923]

In any event, Nordic Games hasn't said yet whether it intends to appeal the ruling or put together a "low violence" version for German audiences; at this point the focus seems to be on squeezing it for PR value. And it's working! Painkiller: Hell and Damnation [http://www.amazon.com/Painkiller-Damnation-Collectors-Edition-Download/dp/B009GKT26I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1349296632&sr=8-4&keywords=Painkiller%3A+Hell+and+Damnation] comes out in both Standard and Collector's Editions on October 31, exclusively for the PC.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
"Blood, violence and demons" is very German. Haven't the authorities ever seen (or heard of) art by Dürer? Some days I wonder if the medieval era was more liberal than a society influenced by present-day bureaucrats and petty authorities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight,_Death_and_the_Devil

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
To be fair, when People Can Fly developed the first Painkiller, they made a slightly trimmed down version for the German release where all the blood effects were green, and if I'm not mistaken, it wasn't possible to gib enemies.

The German version of Battle Out of Hell also received a partial censorship where the children in the Orphanage level were replaced with wooden creatures in the children's clothing, their heads resembling that of the Pinokio enemy found in the same level.

I know this because I've worked with Painkiller alot in the modding community. I guess Nordic Games decided it wouldn't matter this time around, but Germany is a strict place it seems. Quite a shame...

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Ha, sucks for everyone living in Germany.
Oh wait.....

I wonder If Ill see the stupid gaming restrictions lifted in my lifetime.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
Awh man, I wanted to have this game, now I have to import the boxed version, if there is one, and hope that I can activate its code with a German IP (Steam has started doing that stuff, which makes me a very sad panda)

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
There is no proof that video games have traumatic effects on anyone. We all enjoy a good scare, scream and giggle afterwards. This belief that people can be influenced so negatively by games is born from a fear of media influenec in general that grew after the second world war.

One of the theories of this extreme censorship when it comes to violent in movies (70s to early 90s) and games, is that the public relations was basically what the NSDAP, the Nazi party, was really good at, and that made a profound difference.

The result seems to be that the well-meaning folks at the USK are playing it safe. Funny enough that resembles what secret police did and do to dissenting folks these days in regimes. They play it safe, they think.

In the end, the experience with the medium removes censorship in time. Movies are a good example of the past 30 years or so. "Day Of The Dead" from 1985 had 66 cuts in the German version when it came out. "Cabin In The Woods" (SPOILER ALERT) was released here a few weeks ago and has more gore in the last part of the film than all of Romeros films combined and has a 16 rating in Germany. "Hostel" is uncut in Germany.

The same will happen with video games. And with sex in games in the USA. Hopefully.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
N3squ1ck said:
Awh man, I wanted to have this game, now I have to import the boxed version, if there is one, and hope that I can activate its code with a German IP (Steam has started doing that stuff, which makes me a very sad panda)
Yeah. I had a wonderful surprise when I brought home a copy of "Sleeping Dogs" from the UK. I installed and activated it on my Steam account from Germany and was horrified to find my UK game censored.

I've made a copy of the game directory and used a crack, and was thus able to play it uncensored. I paid for it, so I'm entitled to do that.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Painkiller is about as "hot" and serious as a saturday morning cartoon. Kind of sucks when your government decides what your entertainment should be.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Isn't it great when a govt or system decides what people of appropriate ages and understanding is best for them, clearly no adult in Germany has the capacity to decide what games are for them and which aren't. /sarcasm.

In all seriousness, why do they keep doing this, I just don't get it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Must be a slow news day if a violent game getting locked out of Germany is worth mentioning...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Do they really think this will stop anyone determined to play the uncut version? Should I, for some reason, feel it absolutely necessary to own this game, I'll import it from the UK or Austria and apply a crack or two if necessary (to cancel any possible post-installation censoring via online activation).
All our wonderful USK managed is cheating our economy out of potential revenues once again. Whoopee.

bimon_1234567

Mar 15, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
German authorities have decided that Painkiller: Hell and Damnation is a little too hot to handle.
Not true. The USK is the German equivalent to the ESRB. You wouldn't describe the ESRB as part of the U.S. authorities, now would you?

The game is also not banned at this point, only the BPjM (an actual German federal agency) has the power to do that. It just can't be legally sold because it has no rating.

The whole thing might even just be a publicity stunt.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Oh god probably some moral guardian got pissy and started screaming their head off.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, considering it includes the Battle Out of Hell expansion, it does include a few WWII themed levels.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
There remaking this? Great, I always wanted to play it more, but the game's so buggy on my PC. Hopefully one that was designed with newer hardware in mind will work better.