Etrian Odyssey IV Sails to North America in 2013

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Etrian Odyssey IV Sails to North America in 2013

The Etrian Odyssey series makes its 3DS debut with the "brutal challenge" of Legends of the Titan.

If you've been craving a hardcore dungeon-crawling experience for your 3DS, the wait will soon be over. Atlus has announced that Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan will be making its way to North America. Legend of the Titan, which launched in Japan earlier this year, was "built with older hardcore gamers in mind," and will retain the series' trademark difficulty.

Featuring enemies rendered in 3D and "intricately detailed" environments, Etrian Odyssey IV strives to be "a brutal challenge and not for the faint of heart." Don't be scared, new players--a brand-new Casual Mode "ensures newcomers to the series and genre need not be intimidated." Like previous games in the series, players need to map out their own paths while exploring dangerous locations filled with powerful foes, this time in search of the roots of the legendary Yggdrasil tree (and fame and fortune, naturally).

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan will be the series' first appearance on the 3DS. It's scheduled for release in early 2013, though no specific release date was given.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
Oh man, THIS series. I bought the first one years ago, not knowing about the difficulty. I barely made it into the second dungeon before I just gave up. That game kicks your ass like an MMA fighter.

Tastum

Jun 1, 2011
I really enjoyed the third, and was... displeased that it went missing along with my DS. I've been looking forward to an announcement on this for months. Atlus is really good to its fans, but I was a bit worried they might not release this one due to slower adoption of the 3DS.

I really like how the extensive character customization (all your party members are a complete tabula rasa) works with the brutal difficulty of the game itself - your job is to build a machine that can take the punishment. Sure it's a grind sandwich, but as far as I'm concerned it's the good kind of grind.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I actually liked all 3 games, but the dual class system of 3 lead to some truly broken combinations. I just got too obsessed with fiddling with them, I actually never finished it lol.

I got to the last boss and died several times obviously, then I think I never picked it back up because I was having fun sailing till I stopped playing it.

Thats probably the series biggest draw, the classes all have something to offer (usually) and just picking out your team is an ordeal. The only classes I think out of all 3 games that I just never liked was the Beast class because it would just suicide covering all the attacks for the party, and hexer because it was best used at 1 HP spamming Revenge which didn't mesh with my enjoyment.