Resident Evil 6 Gets Capcom's Highest Initial Shipment Ever

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Resident Evil 6 Gets Capcom's Highest Initial Shipment Ever

The Resident Evil series has sold more than 50 million units since its 1996 launch.

A little over 48 hours after its release, Resident Evil 6 has shipped more than 4.5 million copies to retailers worldwide. According to Capcom, this is the publisher's biggest initial shipment for any game in its history. Though the number of copies shipped doesn't equal the number of copies sold, this indicates that Resident Evil 6 is on its way to becoming one of Capcom's best-selling titles ever.

Capcom also revealed that the Resident Evil series has sold more than 50 million units since its launch in 1996. That's not included the sales numbers for RE6, which Capcom has not yet revealed, though we can probably expect a few million more units to be added to that total thanks to the latest zombie-killing entry in the series.

Resident Evil 6 launched to less-than-stellar reviews [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9950-Resident-Evil-6-Review], but that doesn't seem to be having any effect on retailers' demand for the game. We'll know more once RE6's initial sales numbers are released, but it appears that it's on track to become another highly successful entry in the series.

Source: GameSpot

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Operation Raccoon City was an awful, awful game... and it sold MILLIONS. So, yeah, this will probably sell millions as well...

And I'll just keep weeping for the state of survival horror and cuddling my copy of Revelations on 3DS.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I hope that it doesnt sell that much, like for fuck sakes, a lot of people probably buy this just because it is from an once good franchise (and RE5 managed to get good reviews because of that, it was even worse then this one since this one is at least playable. But hey, its RESIDENT EVIL, right?)

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Please, Ada Wong vs Jill Valentine has been shipped more times than that!
You, sir, made my day. Thank you.
Time for google search...

Anyway this goes besides me. Last RE I played was 2 on PS1 and no newer console has ever been bough. Okami is making me regret that...

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
As with Max Payne 3, shipping does not equal sales. I wonder what the actual sales numbers will be.

josemlopes said:
and RE5 managed to get good reviews because of that, it was even worse then this one since this one is at least playable. But hey, its RESIDENT EVIL, right?
RE5 was 'not playable'? What do you mean?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Tohuvabohu said:
josemlopes said:
and RE5 managed to get good reviews because of that, it was even worse then this one since this one is at least playable. But hey, its RESIDENT EVIL, right?
So many poor design choices, the movement felt like driving a tank, the fact that the girl that goes along with you doesnt do shit and wastes health, the crappy inventory, the terrible AI that runs at you until they are five feet away to then do the slow zombie walk. You know, the usual complaints that the game gets. If the reviewers considered that playable then a lot of other games were designed by god himself,and the competetive multiplayer mode surely wasnt playable.

The only thing that made it bareable was the co-op, and even then just to laugh at the game, kind of like Deadly Premonition or Vampire Rain

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
josemlopes said:
Tohuvabohu said:
josemlopes said:
So many poor design choices, the movement felt like driving a tank, the fact that the girl that goes along with you doesnt do shit and wastes health, the crappy inventory, the terrible AI that runs at you until they are five feet away to then do the slow zombie walk. You know, the usual complaints that the game gets. If the reviewers considered that playable then a lot of other games were designed by god himself,and the competetive multiplayer mode surely wasnt playable.

The only thing that made it bareable was the co-op, and even then just to laugh at the game, kind of like Deadly Premonition or Vampire Rain
Besides the inventory, and the fact that you have a nigh-useless 'partner' when solo, these other complaints fit RE4 as well. The controls in RE4 were even worse (You literally have less control over Leon's movement in 4) And enemies did the same exact sprint-then-stroll thing as well.

I was just curious about why you'd call it unplayable, because I played through the game at least half a dozen times, and twice on professional (Always with a friend though, no way I'd play it solo.) and never thought it was unplayable.

If you're playing it solo, then that's a different story. But since you always have a 'partner', I thought of it as first and foremost a coop game.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I am enjoying this game, but I have one single complaint. The FOV is so narrow, you have zero situation awareness which just detracts from the overall game. All the complaints about the tank like movement are not really valid because every single RE game has had this same shortcoming. I really can't wait for the PC release, at least that can probably be fixed with a mod or two.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Baresark said:
I am enjoying this game, but I have one single complaint. The FOV is so narrow, you have zero situation awareness which just detracts from the overall game. All the complaints about the tank like movement are not really valid because every single RE game has had this same shortcoming. I really can't wait for the PC release, at least that can probably be fixed with a mod or two.
The movement isn't the best, but I find that the new dodge mechanic makes up for a lot of it's shortcomings. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have beaten the final boss of Jake's story had it not been for the dodge mechanic letting me fly all over the place. At the very least, it would have been a lot harder without it. 'Cause tank controls.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Baresark said:
The movement isn't the best, but I find that the new dodge mechanic makes up for a lot of it's shortcomings. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have beaten the final boss of Jake's story had it not been for the dodge mechanic letting me fly all over the place. At the very least, it would have been a lot harder without it. 'Cause tank controls.
I agree, the dodge mechanic is a huge boon as so many creatures move much faster than your character does. All the movement complaints are strange a little. It is probably the only realistic part of these games in general. People don't run around like mad men in real life in any given situation. Most people wouldn't shoot and move at the same time either, especially someone trained to shoot. Even though you can shoot and move in the game. I don't think the movement would be so bad if you could anticipate what was coming with just a little situational awareness, or as I call it, the ability to have peripheral vision.

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
the key phrase is "initial", ORC's initial shipment wasn't too bad if I recall also.

Trishbot said:
Operation Raccoon City was an awful, awful game... and it sold MILLIONS. So, yeah, this will probably sell millions as well...

And I'll just keep weeping for the state of survival horror and cuddling my copy of Revelations on 3DS.
Didn't you get the memo? Survival horror is dead! replaced by the new and improved action horror!!.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I greatly enjoyed Operation Raccoon City ;)

Dunno if id be willing to give resi evil 6 a try too, but based on the ORC experience absymal critic reviews and people going "worst game evar" wont influence me much if i do decide to buy it (currently got no plans to as am full on games).

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I kind of feel bad about all the previewers, who essentially were given the role of the people who could not do anything until it was too late.

I'd hug my Revelaitons game too but it refuses to give me any of the rare maxed guns, so I can't truly love it yet.