Space Schlongs

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
THIS is what they're after??
Silly aliens, all pants com from China. A full scale invasion would most likely
improve things though.

imperfect number

Feb 28, 2010
just gonna warn you, your probably going to get flamed all to hell for supporting the FPS "XCOM".

This will largely be because the FPS has nothing to do with XCOM, and just took the name in a misguided attempt to appeal to nostalgia.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Grey Carter said:
Space Schlongs

We Know Who Wears The Pants In This Relationship

Read Full Article
Supposedly XCOM: Enemy Unknown has been in the works since 2008, so I don't know how much you can point to it being a direct response to fan reaction to XCOM. However, that game has certainly gone through the ringer and seen a lot of changes from what was originally shown.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
imperfect number said:
just gonna warn you, your probably going to get flamed all to hell for supporting the FPS "XCOM".

This will largely be because the FPS has nothing to do with XCOM, and just took the name in a misguided attempt to appeal to nostalgia.
I'm neither for or against the FPS reboot(that may no longer be the case, confirm if possible), but Enemy Unknown looks like a proper reboot. I have no problem with trying a known IP in a new style.

Look at WoW, it was a strategy and now its making more money than a Mitt Romney dunking booth. Zing!
Lots of people have said ,for eg. a Mass Effect strategy game could be cool. The fact is, we need to experiment. As hundreds of reviewers and insiders have said: There is no solid formula to making games successful. Look at friggin Farming Simulator!

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
imperfect number said:

I've said it many times before, the 1950 x-com looked interesting, heck a squad based fps might be an interesting look at x-com as a side story, only problem it just didn't look like x-com. I just do not understand why it wasn't its own ip, and before you say "new ip's are risky" they could have made a decent advertisement run with something like "From the creators of Bioshock" a well known well received game.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
imperfect number said:

He made good points, While I had no problems with the idea of FPS in metroid or fallout, alot of people did and they were WRONG, a wrong many of them refuse to let go of just because.

The difference was Syndicate was just pumped out to make a quick buck off a franchises name with no connection to the previous games, much like that horrible shadowrun game which is an affront to the very name. I think a well planned and thought out build can work for many games and think that XCOM can work as a FPS and if they maintain theme and some of the original games elements it can be a strong contender.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah... see, there's "experimentation and adaption" and then there's "let's make it a shooter because we don't think people will buy anything else".

First one is cool. The second, not so much. Although, granted, it may occasionally be hard to tell the two apart.

If the chorus of bitching and moaning really did bring about the benching of FPS XCOM in favour of its TBS counterpart then I'm all for it. Hell, it makes me wonder what else could be improved with a concentrated dose of whine...

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I would agree with the premise that bowing to popular demand could be bad for a creative work if the alternative was creative freedom, but I think we all are well aware by now that this is not the case for the majority of published games. I'll take listening to the customers over corporatethink in a vacuum ten times out of ten.

Also, Fallout 3 was pretty shit in retrospect, and it would seem that the recent surge of isometric game announcements(and fan reaction to the same) has vindicated the NMA crowd somewhat.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Fallout 3 and Metroid Prime were good games and didn't deserve the pre-emptive hate they got.
They didn't deserve it because they didn't deviate (much) from what made the original games great. Fallout 3 is still an RPG, and Metroid Prime is still... well, a metroid game where you do metroidy stuff. The change was a change of perspective with tweaks to the gameplay to compliment that.

Games like Syndicate, however, are a completely different thing. Nothing of what made the original games great is in the reboot. In fact, very little of the original games are in the reboot at all. It's just another FPS game with the Synticate name slapped on. Unlike Fallout 3 and Metroid Prime that actually carried on their respective franchises, Syndicate threw it away.

Fans have very good reason to be upset with the XCOM reboot. Because XCOM were isometric turn-based tactical games, with base management and tech research. The reboot is a shooter that throws away everything that made the originals such classics. So even if the game turns out good, it's still a sort of betrayal of the franchise.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Since he mentioned RE 6 being crap, this still gets to qualify as on-topic! :D

Anyways, a friend of mine was trying to get me to agree to buy RE 6 with him when it came out so we could co-op together. After informing him that 1: I'm not a huge RE fan to begin with and 2: I heard the game was utter crap, I even went so far as to show him your comic on the NDA's. He got a chuckle out of it, but die-hard RE fan that he is, he still picked up the game.

Now I can tell he's biting his tongue every time he talks about how great the game is. Every time I conront him with some of the criticisms I've seen around here, he just lets out a mournful "Yeah...."

Interestingly enough, he's been playing more Magic 2013 with me than RE 6. I guess his other friend that actually did get the game prefers to go through solo. :p

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
XCOM's shooter got canceled? Thats a shame, it looked freaky, in a good way. Might give the 'new' one a go though, not enough good stratergy games out at the mo.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Grey Carter said:
I guess what worries me about the whole affair is that the fan "outcry" has actually done something. It's prompted the release of Firaxis' more traditional take on the series,
But that's not true. The turn based game was in development long before the shooter was announced. The developers of the turn-based game have talked about how, when everyone was complaining about the FPS, they really wanted to tell us all not to worry and a tradition X-Com was being developed.

Mokuren

Feb 19, 2009
Denamic said:
Fallout 3 and Metroid Prime were good games and didn't deserve the pre-emptive hate they got.
They didn't deserve it because they didn't deviate (much) from what made the original games great. Fallout 3 is still an RPG, and Metroid Prime is still... well, a metroid game where you do metroidy stuff. The change was a change of perspective with tweaks to the gameplay to compliment that.

Games like Syndicate, however, are a completely different thing. Nothing of what made the original games great is in the reboot. In fact, very little of the original games are in the reboot at all. It's just another FPS game with the Synticate name slapped on. Unlike Fallout 3 and Metroid Prime, that were actually carried on their respective franchises, Syndicate threw it away.
I have to agree on this. When you turn a previously 2D isometric game in a 3D experience where the world feels built and solid instead of drawn on a canvas there's only to be gained from that: I would sacrifice newborns for a remake of Syndicate like Fallout 3 was to Fallout 2.

The problem isn't the 3D or the FPS perspective: Fallout 3 was still a roleplaying game full of NPC interactions, a wacky world built on the ruins of a pseudo 50s society demolished by an unspecified nuclear war that happened in the past and you'll never get to see, and it's also an affectionate parody of the cold war and with a huge number of references thrown here and there.

Metroid Prime still had all the exploration and backtracking that has always been a staple of the series, along with a Samus Aran that was not a sterotypical whiny submissive female, an objective achieved by simply not making her talk and letting the player immerse within the character rather than force-feeding him a foul-smelling slob of rotting pus they had the gall to call "personality".

The FPS X-Com didn't look like an utter piece of garbage from the get-go to me because it was an FPS, but because all it showed me were boring hollywood movie antics with aliens thrown right in your face but that don't seem to have any rhyme nor reason. And chest high walls everywhere. I know I wasn't supposed to expect seeing the same aliens I've known to both fear and love in the previous iterations of the series, but if you want me to become fond of a new set of bad guys you have to GIVE ME a new set of badguys, not anonymous, amorphous black blobs to be fought from behind chest high walls.

If you want to make an FPS based on X-Com you should at least make some effort to give the game a modicum of connection or resemblance with the IP you're trying to wrench money out of. Slapping the name on the cover and hoping that nostalgia will get people to buy a game that has nothing to do with what was advertised is tantamount to fraud.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
PunkRex said:
XCOM's shooter got canceled? Thats a shame, it looked freaky, in a good way. Might give the 'new' one a go though, not enough good stratergy games out at the mo.
I don't believe it's been officially canceled, it's just been dark and possibly in a bit of developmental hell. Some screenshots cropped up earlier this week to suggest the game is still alive and kicking, but it's seemingly gone through some massive changes. - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119889-Major-Changes-Rumored-for-XCom-Shooter

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Slycne said:
PunkRex said:
I don't believe it's been officially canceled, it's just been dark and possibly in a bit of developmental hell. Some screenshots cropped up earlier this week to suggest the game is still alive and kicking, but it's seemingly gone through some massive changes. - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119889-Major-Changes-Rumored-for-XCom-Shooter
Hrrmmm, I hope it gets a chance, I LOVED Fallout 3 and the idea of it getting wiped from history because Fallouts vets got their knickers in a twist makes me mad. I understand, theres not alot of... whatever the hell the original Fallouts were classed as and its a shame there fans didn't get what they wanted, but now Fallouts popular again (sort of) maybe we'll get some more interesting editions to the francise... maybe... proberly not...

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
digital warrior said:
imperfect number said:

I've said it many times before, the 1950 x-com looked interesting, heck a squad based fps might be an interesting look at x-com as a side story, only problem it just didn't look like x-com. I just do not understand why it wasn't its own ip, and before you say "new ip's are risky" they could have made a decent advertisement run with something like "From the creators of Bioshock" a well known well received game.
I agree that the FPS X-Com would have been more interesting if it wasn't called X-Com. I think it should have been Men In Black. That's basically what it is anyways and there'd be much more forgiving fan reaction to a MIB game set as a "prequel" to the movies.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Yeah. We should just judge games on whether or not the games are good, and not if they adhere to "what it's suppose to be".

As for RE6. Never been a fan, and it sounds like this game isn't going to win me over.

Also, I never heard of XCOM until I heard people talking about it's reboot, so hope it's what the fans, and the new owners want.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Im kinda upset that 2K is changing the XCOM FPS into a tactical TPS. Just reeks of compromise. And its basically worthless too, as the people complaining were never going to buy it to began with. Should have just kept it as it was...

...to be clear, I most likely wasnt even going to bother with it anyways...