Playing It Properly

thatsthespirit

Nov 18, 2009
Playing It Properly

If you're experienced with videogames, you're probably playing them wrong.

Read Full Article

UBERfionn

Jun 7, 2010
I know how you feel, I can't be in the same room as my girlfriend if she's playing a game I've already played.

BattleAxeInc

May 10, 2009
Being "impressed" at someone's willingness to follow Heavy Rain's plot while skipping Battlefield 3's is like showing confusion at someone's preference for John Scalzi over Dan Brown.

NotALiberal

Jul 10, 2012
TOO MUCH REAL LIFE.

I've become so OCD about my games that I've sucked all the fun out of them. They become like a second job that I have to stress about, making sure I collected/did/discovered ALL THE THINGS!

Oh and ditto on watching other people play games, extremely frustrating feeling, especially if they don't play games much.

Bloodfrost

Aug 15, 2012
I do this to my wife entirely too much, it's similar to you, while i am in the process of trying to tell her how to "correctly" play the game it never really occurred to me that someone might want to just play the game. Interesting artical heh, i'm gonna have to try this hands off approach next time my wife picks up a game.

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Ok ok I see your point trophies and rewards are bad. I agree, but if you cant role play the god damn character properly....
Yer doing' it wrong!!! Seriously.
If your supposed to be an FBI agent it should be pretty obvious that you scan the body.
I think the problem here is that game don't use "actual consequences" real consequences are really had to blend into a narrative. And since consequences are basically life's way of telling you "good job" or "you done screwed up" games use that as a way to "score" your performance.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I loved the article, and I agree fully! It is the thing that puts me off replaying MGS games... I pick up the game, and I enjoy playing! I'm not the best though, and constantly have to avoid capture, and sometimes die... I also almost always start by trying to only tranq people, but usually get bored of that and start killing everyone, well, just because!

Then after playing, and being good and watching cutscenes without trying to pull my eyes out, and even getting some of the story, I get to the end... and get a shit score... well MGS... Fuck you! I played you and I enjoyed you, and now you call me shit for it!

It's like having a favourite music artist as a kid... The artist is everything you like... they write awesome music, they are cool, charismatic, funny and you do all you can to be like them! You win a competition to meet the guy backstage and you tell him how much he inspired you and how excited you are to be there... You then show them your collection of ticket stubs, of how many times you have travelled halfway across the country just to see them perform, and they glance nonplussed at you and give you a used smartie to chew on, and kick you out...

That's how I feel at the end of an MGS game!

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I am so much that guy that I'm even like that with my brother, who's been gaming longer than me. Whenever I see him just mucking about with a game, I get cross, because he should be playing it like the game makers intended.

I guess maybe it's because, outside of games, I'm very into drama and writing anyway. Therefore, when I'm playing a game, even one that's not particularly story-focused, I like to completely get into my role. As far as I'm concerned I'm not a separate entity as the player, I am the player-character, and everything I do as the player is governed by my interpretation of the protagonist's personality. So when I see people doing stuff in games that they find fun, but that make no contextual sense in the game world, I have to fight the urge to chastise then for 'playing it wrong'.

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
Fixing you're intervening tendencies is easy. Go to twitch tv find a stream doing a blind play-through of some game you've played before. Now sit there and watch without typing in chat. There's no controller to take away, and by not talking in chat you will come to realize you are watching not playing. As in, you are experiencing the game passively as an observer not actively as the player.

Another thing you could do is instead of just telling your girlfriend what to do, ask leading questions. Like for example with FBI crime scene ask: maybe the victim's body has clues you might want to examine it before leaving; or this area is really muddy, how could anyone walk down here without leaving behind foot prints.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
Playing visual novels right now.

Not using a guide I die a few times and it is awesome.

Well, I do use the guide after finishing to see the different deaths, since they are pretty entertaining.

Apr 28, 2008
Reminds me playing games while my brother watches. He always tries to 100% stuff. I don't. The conversation(s) usually go like this:

Him: "There's things there, you need to get them!
Me: "Why?"
Him: "Because they're there? And you can get them? So you should get them?"
Me: "Meh, whatever."
Him: "But... it's there, and you need them. WHY WON'T YOU GET THEM?!"
Me: "Because I don't care."
Him: "But... you're doing it wrong! I... I can't do this. I can't be in the same room as you when you do this."

And when the roles are reversed:

Him: "Oh my GOD this is stupid. COME ON! GET THE THING!!"
Me: "Calm down, what's the problem?"
Him: "I'm trying to get this stupid thing, and this STUPID character won't do what I freaking tell him!"
Me: "Just ignore it then."
Him: "I can't. I need to get it."
Me: "Why?"
Him: "BECAUSE I HAVE TO ALRIGHT!!"
Me: "I beat the game without getting it."
Him: "No, you beat the story, you didn't beat the GAME."
Me: "What's the difference?"
Him: *sigh*

Though he does have his limits. He never even bothered to get the flags/feathers in the Assassin's Creed games.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I'm that guy half of the time. Usually only with friends. If they're just playing something for the hell of it and play it wrong then I don't really care (I may cringe but wont say anything). However, if they play something wrong and extrapolate from that that the game is bad (my friend thought Portal 2 was bad because he wasn't able to solve the first puzzle where you have to cross the gap) then I become "that guy" and can't help but take control or offer tons of hints.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I reject your final assertion: you can't play games wrong.

Can't. Can't do it. Your girlfriend isn't playing them wrong, and neither am I, and neither are you.

No one who just has fun is playing wrong.

No one who absorbs themself in the player character is playing wrong.

No one who tries to experience everything is playing wrong.

No one who tries to become as strong as possible is playing wrong.

No one who goes for the "high score" is playing wrong.

Your only problem is that you're watching disrespectfully.

Irridium said:
Though he does have his limits. He never even bothered to get the flags/feathers in the Assassin's Creed games.
I got all the flags, but screw those feathers. Start up Brotherhood and it's all like, "She's better now that you got all the feathers," anyway, so what's the point?

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
Just give vague suggestions, don't grab the controller and demand they play it right. When she decides to play it totally wrong be like "Are you sure you want to do that? This could cause problems later just so you know." And if they keep going heedless you know that is how they want to do things. If they say "Oh really? I didn't know that was an issue" then its probably best to make a brief explanation without giving things away or telling them how to do it the "right" way.
And never EVER take the controller out of their hands even if they tell you to.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
DVS BSTrD said:
It's that I don't get what you're saying about not playing a game "properly" but this is a bad example. I tend to get like this when I'm playing Dragon Age or Mass Effect. I'm not very good with roleplaying so I always have to go back and find the "Best" options. More so with Mass Effect just to see which dialogue option fits me the best. I also get hung-up more on style with combat, I can always find a cooler way to kill the baddies even when the game doesn't grade me on it.
You summed it up pretty much. This is the same thing I tend to so more often than not with western RPGs, or basically that give me choices that impact the game.

What's even worse is when I've played a game and understand it quite well, then see someone be like 'Me bad at playan dis gaem. So me play gaem anyway' I just want to correct them in how they play it. But it's my playstyle and not theirs, so I shouldn't interfere but I will. Even if it is rude.

I think I have the MobA community to thank for that.

zaziuma

Sep 19, 2010
This is why I say to people who says a game doesn't have replay value to shut up. A game can be played multiple ways, and you might not play it the way the developers intended you to play the game, but that doesn't mean you can't play an other way.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
i cant be the only one that drove jeeps into military bases on crysis 1 as a detraction then sniped everyone to hell, die-hard style. mebby i did run out of bullets.. or maby not the koreans never lived to tell the tale either way.

as for the example in the article.. i REALLY have to agree with the majority here there's playing how you want and there's just missing obvious stuff because you aren't immersed enough to think like the character
in an rpg that's kind-of the point of the entire game

a more subtle hint could be:
your an fbi agent, go sniff for the clues.. there are always clues

it's not like your saying HURRY UP!! 3 minutes left on the timer your apm is too low, you haven't found enough clues in this chapter to get a trophy!
remember to shoot some guys but only wound them you get pointz!!
( i have no idea about heavy rain's mechanics, these are just examples )

^ that would be wrong and mean to do.