Microsoft Claims Exclusivity On Next-Gen Soccer

Shawn Andrich

Aug 4, 2006
Microsoft Claims Exclusivity On Next-Gen Soccer

In a press release today, Microsoft claims the next-generation of soccer games are exclusive for the Xbox 360 this year.

Microsoft has announced in Leipzig that both Fifa 2007 (EA) and Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (Konami) will be exclusive to the Xbox 360 this year. The "current generation" version will still be released for the PS2, Xbox and other platforms as usual. Microsoft's exclusive deal on the two sports titles will extend for one year after they are released this Fall, leaving the PS3 without the popular soccer games until Fall of 2007.

The Fifa series is a top seller for Electronic Arts, with the latest 2006 version selling millions in the wake of the recent World Cup.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
This really had me upset until I saw the "current gen" part. This one almost had me in 360 territory, mostly because soccer videogames are awesome. They're like hockey videogames, only with bicycle kicks.

I really think they peaked with FIFA 64. The opening movie played "Song 2" by Blur right when Blur was peaking. Even if you weren't a soccer fan, you were pumped and ready to play by the time the opening credits were over. You really don't get that anymore, especially now that EA has their EA TRAXXX XTREEME MUSIC MAN that no one likes.

Ah well, lightning in a jar.